Old guy's first lower build. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Old guy's first lower build.

shineybore
02-15-2010, 14:48
Well a co-worker bought a nearly new upper from a vendor we buy parts from for $250.00 with bolt carrier group and chargeing handle. I would have loved to got that deal. He looked all around for lowers locally. So he asked if I had ever put together a stripped lower and I told him never but, it looks easy. So he asked if I would help him put one together and I said sure. He bought a RRA stripped lower for 110.00, LPK, 70, and I traded him my old take off commerical 6 position stock assembly for some reloading supplies he did not use. Well took about an hour because I took my time I asked him if he wanted to do any of this he said I was doing just fine. Really, it's a one person job anyway. We found a good video online how to assemble a stripped lower and followed it. After building his lower, now I want to build one. I have a better understanding how the Ar works and if mine ever needs repairs or upgrades I feel I can do it. It's a very simple process and no one should be scared to try it.

His complete Ar 15 cost him a grand total of $440 cash with tax. Must be nice. He's a good guy so I'm very happy for him. He called yesterday and said he ran 100 rounds through it and it functioned flawlessly. I am seriouly getting the itch to build one for myself but, I don't need another one.

Cobra6
02-15-2010, 16:33
That sounds like a great deal if you have decent parts - I will have almost that much invested just in my BCM upper assembly group.

Tweek's Turbos
02-15-2010, 16:48
Yeah, I built one, and moved right on to building number two. Problem is just waiting for the cash to come in...I'm trying to buy another car too. :cool:

shineybore
02-16-2010, 10:40
That sounds like a great deal if you have decent parts - I will have almost that much invested just in my BCM upper assembly group.

I looked over the upper pretty good and I can't tell who made the upper. It's roll marked for 5.56. The hand guards seemed pretty cheap also, real thin plastic. The bolt carrier group is the same no markings. The only thing I did not like about it was the fact it is the carry handle model, machined into the upper. I don't know the proper lingo for that. I would say it's not the best quality made upper out there but, for the price he paid I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Oh, the stakeing was pretty piss poor. Barely even indented the metal. I told him to take it to a local gunsmith and have them use the proper tool to restake it. I hate to see him beat the hell out of it with a punch and hammer.

thisaway
02-16-2010, 14:46
Are there any markings on the barrel?