Business is good - OLYMPIC ARMS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Business is good - OLYMPIC ARMS

JBJ16
02-16-2010, 06:00
http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

With all the bad things I read about Olympic its looks that they are really doing good in the AR business . . .

Really hard to know which/what is true in the internet . . . .:whistling:

PlasticGuy
02-16-2010, 07:08
Nobody has argued that they aren't selling everything they can make. The contention is that Olympic makes some horrendous crap, but it sells anyway because unsuspecting "victims" buy from them simply because they are the cheapest source. Jennings and Davis sold a lot of crappy guns also, and for the same reason.

JBJ16
02-16-2010, 07:34
Nobody has argued that they aren't selling everything they can make. The contention is that Olympic makes some horrendous crap, but it sells anyway because unsuspecting "victims" buy from them simply because they are the cheapest source. Jennings and Davis sold a lot of crappy guns also, and for the same reason.

Ouch! Although I am not one of their "victims", I've seen their prices on complete rifles on their website Olyarms are neither cheap or overly expensive. In fact they are competitively priced :dunno:

mvician
02-16-2010, 11:07
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/download-1.jpg

bikerdog
02-16-2010, 11:24
well I can't say anything about there sales, but I can say after owning one of there rifles what ever they charge for them is to much. Even bushmaster is head and shoulders above them and they cost about the same.

JBJ16
02-16-2010, 11:44

Nice Blue furniture :supergrin:

Nice grin too!:supergrin:

shineybore
02-16-2010, 11:45

That's what I'm talking about!!! Build em cheap and stack em deep!!!!!:shocked:

shineybore
02-16-2010, 11:46

I guess since these guys are a little overweight they must be union. This is according to members here on Glock Talk...:rofl::rofl:

shineybore
02-16-2010, 11:51

Oh I can't stop...

This pile must be where they are returned for service.:wow:

JBJ16
02-16-2010, 11:51
Seriously without the usual Oly bashing :uglylol: is it really that bad with their products? IIRC they are one of the oldest in the AR manufacturing business, hence one of THE most experienced.:upeyes:

shineybore
02-16-2010, 11:53

Ok, Ok, last one.

This is the shipment for the Army's new unit "the don't ask don't tell platoon" !!!!!:faint:

bikerdog
02-16-2010, 12:33
seriously without the usual oly bashing :uglylol: Is it really that bad with their products?

yes!!!!!!

RMTactical
02-16-2010, 12:34
Every AR15 manufacturer is doing good right now.

RS2
02-16-2010, 12:58
Every AR15 manufacturer is doing good right now.

Some are even making decent firearms.

Olympic isn't one of them.

JBJ16
02-16-2010, 13:30
That's what I'm talking about!!! Build em cheap and stack em deep!!!!!:shocked:

yes!!!!!!

Some are even making decent firearms.

Olympic isn't one of them.

Am I right to consider you all have personal experience with their products?:upeyes:

RS2
02-16-2010, 13:46
Am I right to consider you all have personal experience with their products?:upeyes:

I don't have any personal experience with brain tumors either, but I'm pretty sure I don't want one.

mvician
02-16-2010, 14:10
The blue rifles are training rifles........the Bubba in the picture fly is unzipped. :whistling: :rofl:

RS2
02-16-2010, 14:19
The blue rifles are training rifles........the Bubba in the picture fly is unzipped. :whistling: :rofl:

That's OK ... he's wearing blue training pants.

JBJ16
02-16-2010, 14:41
I don't have any personal experience with brain tumors either, but I'm pretty sure I don't want one.

Yeah . . . . . . right . . .:upeyes:
Really apples to apples accurate on that one . . . . .

MistoGators
02-16-2010, 15:37
I bought an Oly Arms AR carbine (A2 upper) a few years ago for around $700. Lol that thing was a piece of junk (the barrel wasn't even chrome lined). I sold it for around $600 a year later to an unsuspecting victim. :)

bikerdog
02-16-2010, 16:15

I have owned one and a friend also had one. Neither worked worth a darn. And on mine it was one of their higher quality gun that cost me 900 then I had to take it to a gunsmith just to get the thing to shoot. And it still locked up every couple rounds or so heck I never made it through a mag with out a jam. And when I went to Oly they told me that it must be my mags or ammo but I tried every thing out there and none of it worked. I guess to sum it all it was the biggest POS I have ever had the displeasure of owning. and will never by from that company again

Range Rat
02-16-2010, 16:26

LOL!!! Good come back!

JBJ16
02-16-2010, 17:39
I bought an Oly Arms AR carbine (A2 upper) a few years ago for around $700. Lol that thing was a piece of junk (the barrel wasn't even chrome lined). I sold it for around $600 a year later to an unsuspecting victim. :)

I have owned one and a friend also had one. Neither worked worth a darn. And on mine it was one of their higher quality gun that cost me 900 then I had to take it to a gunsmith just to get the thing to shoot. And it still locked up every couple rounds or so heck I never made it through a mag with out a jam. And when I went to Oly they told me that it must be my mags or ammo but I tried every thing out there and none of it worked. I guess to sum it all it was the biggest POS I have ever had the displeasure of owning. and will never by from that company again

Now that's the answers I was looking forward to . . . not the "Brain Tumor"
of RS2 :rofl::rofl::rofl: really Olympic like malfunction of analogy :rofl:

gsdrulz
02-16-2010, 17:56
Oh man I want my money back. I never had a single problem with my Oly AR. It was shot a little(2-3k a week) during the salmon season back in the mid 90's. The way only 3 captains that are 18-19 can. I was able to sell it for a little more than I paid for thanks to the AWB even with the extra wear and tare.

faawrenchbndr
02-16-2010, 18:19

I had a Olympic upper receiver that cracked just aft of the barrel nut.
Sent that POS back for a refund,.....never looked back. No Oly' for me thanks!

JWS755
02-16-2010, 18:43
Got an Oly Arms 9mm upper a few years ago, uses STEN mags. Every time I bring it to the range it gets a lot of interest, and gets shot alot. A few failures to feed, more related to the 65 yr old mags than anything else. I have no compliaints w mine.

wellcraft
02-16-2010, 20:53
i have a a olyarms oa93 pistol and rifle and have never had a problem out of either of them. my oa93 rifle has been just as accurate as my colt A3 tactical and just as reliable but the oa93 has more of the cool factor because of the side folding stock. i think most folks who bash olyarms have no idea what they are talking about and are just regurgetating some crap they read or heard.

HAIL CAESAR
02-16-2010, 21:35

I do. I owned and ran a gun shop for years, Whatcha want to know about Oly?

Hoser
02-16-2010, 22:25
I have owned several over the years. Still have a few actually. No issues.

plainsman
02-17-2010, 00:30
Actually, they are waiting for the forklift, to start delivering them to their suppliers.

lawman800
02-17-2010, 03:23
I have an Oly lower for my M4 build with the Stag upper and it works just fine. As a matter of fact, it was my previous Colt upper that jammed up on me with a fault gas tube, not anything in the Oly lower.

JBJ16
02-17-2010, 04:01
I do. I owned and ran a gun shop for years, Whatcha want to know about Oly?

Your good/bad experience . . . . please share. So far I have read mixed:dunno: feedback from actual users/owners.

PlasticGuy
02-17-2010, 05:01
Am I right to consider you all have personal experience with their products?
Yep. I worked as a regional firearms instructor for a company that bought and issued 10 Olympic Arms carbines (against the vocal disapproval of us instructors). We ran them through a moderate round count class to test the rifles and train the guys before making them standard issue. Between the crappy parts and crappy assembly of the crappy parts, we only had two that worked properly. Getting the problems resolved was neither quick nor easy. I continued to use my personal Bushmaster, because I never did trust those Olympic rifles. Crappy guns from a crappy company.

As if that wasn't enough, the local SWAT team was issued 6 Olympic uppers to rebuild their entry guns. None worked properly. One of them even had dangerous headspacing problems. Olympic treated the Sheriff's Department even worse than they did us when it came to getting them fixed.

There's a reason why people bash Olympic. While they do make some guns that work, they make enough crappy products to keep their reputation in the toilet.

JBJ16
02-17-2010, 05:27
Yep. I worked as a regional firearms instructor for a company that bought and issued 10 Olympic Arms carbines (against the vocal disapproval of us instructors). We ran them through a moderate round count class to test the rifles and train the guys before making them standard issue. Between the crappy parts and crappy assembly of the crappy parts, we only had two that worked properly. Getting the problems resolved was neither quick nor easy. I continued to use my personal Bushmaster, because I never did trust those Olympic rifles. Crappy guns from a crappy company.

As if that wasn't enough, the local SWAT team was issued 6 Olympic uppers to rebuild their entry guns. None worked properly. One of them even had dangerous headspacing problems. Olympic treated the Sheriff's Department even worse than they did us when it came to getting them fixed.

There's a reason why people bash Olympic. While they do make some guns that work, they make enough crappy products to keep their reputation in the toilet.

That's it then . . . .:shocked: :faint: Crap! is true. :faint:

HAIL CAESAR
02-17-2010, 05:49
Your good/bad experience . . . . please share. So far I have read mixed:dunno: feedback from actual users/owners.

When I dealt with them Oly had the worst "problem gun" ratio of any sold....by a long, long, long, shot.

Guns shipped without BCG's.

Guns coming out of the box with the key bolts just threaded a couple of turns. I fixed them but it was a pain.

Bolts breaking in very, very low round count guns.

Guns shipped without mags. The so called company "Oly Arms" always told me to just give the guy some if I had any around and they would reimburse me. They never did.

They would use a reamer till it was completely shot and the guns shipped would have chambers tighter than .223 causing me to have to ream the guns myself so they would work and not blow fingers off a customer.

I swear they were using ball point pen springs for extractor springs for some time. Their extractor springs were breaking before 10 rounds could be fired. They looked like tiny little springs found in pens..

Gas tubes not pinned at factory.

Saw two broken upper receivers right behind the barrel nut.

Hammers would snap in half all the time in very low round count guns. Hammer and trigger springs would break on very, very low round count guns.

Especially with the way under SAMMI spec chambers these guns were ticking time bombs.

There sales reps and customer service reps were a joke. They said they sold a budget gun so what did I expect. I told them I expected a safe and working gun to sell a customer. They hung up.

I quit selling and taking the pieces of trash in on trade. Period.

Other shops love them ( we all talk). They sell them knowing the guy will bring it bask not working and will trade for a killing.

I.E.; You buy it for $700, come back in a week after it is not working and are mad because it does not work and Oly Arms basically told you to take a hike. So a dishonest dealer will tell you he can't give you much in trade as he will have to deal with the issues. You are so mad you trade anyway for 350'ish for the Oly. He slaps the gun back on the shelf and waits for the next unknowing OLY buyer to snatch it up fully knowing that the guy will be back within days. REPEAT the short trade and sell many times. So the Oly will make the dishonest dealer LOTS of money. That is why some dealers push them, they know they are a trade back for nothing and sell again gun.

I refused to sell the boxes of junk because I got tired of being on the phone all the time with Oly Arms and having customers mad at me for selling them a bad gun.

Sorry as I am tired, so I hope that made sense.

Moral of the story is that Oly as a company sticks. They sell an inferior gun and know it. They call it a "budget gun". I call it a piece of dung that if it just didn't work you are lucky.

They used to lie and say they had contacts with the U.S. Special Forces.

Dealers (some) love them for the high profit margin and knowing the gun will be back for repairs the company has blown the customer off with, or the customer is so mad he wants to trade hard. (trade hard means the customer takes a KILLING).

Me...they weren't allowed in the shop. No new guns, no trades, no consignments. I wanted no part of them. I actually liked my customers.:wavey:

HAIL CAESAR
02-17-2010, 05:57
On a side note I am also a Sheriff Deputy ( semi-retired) and the head trainer for our Dept. They used to let Officers buy their own AR's and sometimes the dummies bought Oly's. Damn things never would run reliably. The Dept bought a couple Oly's cause they were cheap, well they got what they paid for because they didn't work either.

Now there is an approved list of manufacturers and myself and some other Officers made sure Oly was not on that list. Lives are at stake with LEO guns, and play range toys that are made as "budget guns" are not to be relied upon.

JBJ16
02-17-2010, 06:14
When I dealt with them Oly had the worst "problem gun" ratio of any sold....by a long, long, long, shot.

Guns shipped without BCG's.

Guns coming out of the box with the key bolts just threaded a couple of turns. I fixed them but it was a pain.

Bolts breaking in very, very low round count guns.

Guns shipped without mags. The so called company "Oly Arms" always told me to just give the guy some if I had any around and they would reimburse me. They never did.

They would use a reamer till it was completely shot and the guns shipped would have chambers tighter than .223 causing me to have to ream the guns myself so they would work and not blow fingers off a customer.

I swear they were using ball point pen springs for extractor springs for some time. Their extractor springs were breaking before 10 rounds could be fired. They looked like tiny little springs found in pens..

Gas tubes not pinned at factory.

Saw two broken upper receivers right behind the barrel nut.

Hammers would snap in half all the time in very low round count guns. Hammer and trigger springs would break on very, very low round count guns.

Especially with the way under SAMMI spec chambers these guns were ticking time bombs.

There sales reps and customer service reps were a joke. They said they sold a budget gun so what did I expect. I told them I expected a safe and working gun to sell a customer. They hung up.

I quit selling and taking the pieces of trash in on trade. Period.

Other shops love them ( we all talk). They sell them knowing the guy will bring it bask not working and will trade for a killing.

I.E.; You buy it for $700, come back in a week after it is not working and are mad because it does not work and Oly Arms basically told you to take a hike. So a dishonest dealer will tell you he can't give you much in trade as he will have to deal with the issues. You are so mad you trade anyway for 350'ish for the Oly. He slaps the gun back on the shelf and waits for the next unknowing OLY buyer to snatch it up fully knowing that the guy will be back within days. REPEAT the short trade and sell many times. So the Oly will make the dishonest dealer LOTS of money. That is why some dealers push them, they know they are a trade back for nothing and sell again gun.

I refused to sell the boxes of junk because I got tired of being on the phone all the time with Oly Arms and having customers mad at me for selling them a bad gun.

Sorry as I am tired, so I hope that made sense.

Moral of the story is that Oly as a company sticks. They sell an inferior gun and know it. They call it a "budget gun". I call it a piece of dung that if it just didn't work you are lucky.

They used to lie and say they had contacts with the U.S. Special Forces.

Dealers (some) love them for the high profit margin and knowing the gun will be back for repairs the company has blown the customer off with, or the customer is so mad he wants to trade hard. (trade hard means the customer takes a KILLING).

Me...they weren't allowed in the shop. No new guns, no trades, no consignments. I wanted no part of them. I actually liked my customers.:wavey:

OMG! Really that bad . . . .how come they are still in business? What makes them ticking? :shocked: New management and Mfg. quality I suppose? :faint:
Or maybe there are still tons of gullible gun buyers . . . . . .:dunno:

HAIL CAESAR
02-17-2010, 06:27
OMG! Really that bad . . . .how come they are still in business? What makes them ticking? :shocked: New management and Mfg. quality I suppose? :faint:
Or maybe there are still tons of gullible gun buyers . . . . . .:dunno:

Tons of gullible ( really just uninformed, gullible is not the right term) buyers. Hesse is still in business too, They just change their name every couple of years to keep buys offtrack.:rofl:

And I fault unscrupulous dealers for pushing them for a profit. If you don't believe me then go to AR15.com and post a inquisitive question about if anyone there is a Oly dealer. There is one guy there ( can't remember his name) that was a dealer that has the same story as I do. I've talked to him and he hates Oly more than I do,if that is possible.

Honestly the one I have seen in the last couple of years are better than they were. Now they are really bad quality, but that is a uptick from total pieces of trash.

shineybore
02-17-2010, 08:19
I was in the market for an AR a few years ago and noticed one on the shelf at the gun store I frequent. The OLY had all kinds of upgraded furniture and accesories on it. The AR looked brand new. The gun was being sold as used real reasonable (trade in). I asked the owner about it, we were pretty good friends at the time when I lived there. He told me to not even put my eyes on that thing. He said the guy he took it in on bought it new and the thing never function correctly so he traded it in on a Bushmaster. He told me all he did was polish a turd with all the new furniture on it. So I bought a RRA. Never had a problem with it. I believe since I knew the owner he made sure I did not get stuck. I was a repeat customer, plus we played card together.

K. Foster
02-17-2010, 11:05
IMO, most AR buyers fall into one of two groups.
1. People that buy an AR just to have it and hardly ever shoot it.
2. People that believe AR’s are inherently unreliable and expect it to malfunction or break.
For those people, Oly is acceptable.
For people like most of us here, who are serious enthusiasts or use the AR platform at work, Olympic Arms and some others are not acceptable.

Morris
02-17-2010, 13:24
Frankly, I don't know what to think of Oly anymore. I had contacts there. Also owned a couple of their products over the years(from a PCR-16 to a UMP-1P). They have made some auspicious claims over the years in which they flirted with the truth (making things for the SF as one example: in fact, they were just selling some things to the local SF guys off Lewis, not actual line units).

They are literally an hour south of me on I-5. That being said, they were not allowed on the approved patrol rifle list simply because those of us as instructors have seen consistent underwhelming QC issues, overwhelming parts failure issues and overall issues in general. I have lost faith in them in being able to consistently produce a solid product with quality customer service to back it up.

I want to support a local AR maker but Oly has simply not met even modest criteria for consistency in building. I believe some simple changes in basic QC, building and customer service would do far more to their reputation and business.

Their claim that they are backed up may indeed be true. But then again, the world is full of myth and hype. With all due respect to Oly, I can go to half a dozen makers and find conversion uppers or quality spare parts. Heck, I can get a hold of Elmore at his shop in Chandler and get real Colt parts. So that throws the claim on their page in doubt.

JBJ16
02-17-2010, 13:34
I see they also build M2 .50BMGs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Px0wErIeJI&feature=related
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mwinter
02-17-2010, 15:41
If memory serves, there was a fire or accident at the plant a long while back and their quality dropped markedly afterwards (?).

I've owned 2; older Ultramatch and a newer 'ban' Disspator. The Ultramatch was unreliable (FTF/FTE) and had a couple of holes out of spec (standard pins/springs wouldn't always fit). The Dissie's bolt (visibly a very poor quality casting on inspection) catastrophically failed after less than 20rds.

I've not had either experience with the Colt, Bushmaster or RRA rifles I've owned. Everybody's stuff break eventually, but I wouldn't keep an Oly if you gave me one.

Morris
02-17-2010, 19:37
Yes, the factory suffered fire in 2000.

From another website:

On June 7, 2000 a bearing in an exhaust fan seized and the resulting fire destroyed their sales and shipping building. Luckily the manufacturing buildings were not touched.

lawman800
02-17-2010, 20:07
I guess I've been lucky so far. Fired off 240 rounds rapid fire on my Oly lower in summer heat and it worked flawlessly. Will fire off more end of this month, see how the cold affects it. Seriously, we get down to the low 40s, high 30s sometimes!

rangersniper308
02-23-2010, 19:01
Mine has worked like a charm for 17 years... new in 1993 and still runnin...
must have got a good ol boy... BUT I WISH MINE WAS BLUE lol

Anyway... keeps up with me rock / armalites / and others...