Would like to vacation in Asheville, NC... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would like to vacation in Asheville, NC...

Indy_Guy_77
02-16-2010, 12:40
And I'm wondering if it's even worth bringing a pistol along!

No carry in national parks
no carry in state parks
no carry in restaurants that serve alcohol

That's what the point of our vacation is! To visit the state and national parks! And then to go out and have nice dinners. *doh*

I do have a few questions, though, for those who are familiar with the Asheville area.

#1) recommendations on where to stay? "vacation rentals", while abundant, really aren't what we're after. Ideally, we'd like a decent hotel that serves a hot breakfast (Holiday Inn Express, Hampton, Comfort Suites, etc etc)

#2) any restaurants that we HAVE to check out?

#3) can someone point me towards some clarification about this: On a public through-way (interstate, US highway, state highway, etc) that goes THROUGH a national or state park...do the "no carry laws" apply? I'm thinking not due to the nature of just driving through from point A to B without stopping...

Thanks!

-J-

robrides85
02-16-2010, 16:00
"Protecting the right of individuals to bear arms in the units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System -- the secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm ... in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System."

Goes into effect February 22. Conceal carry is in effect in this state, and federal law trumps state law, so I think you can conceal carry in National parks. But, no carry in state parks.

robrides85
02-16-2010, 16:04
Actually I guess the point is that state trumps federal law.

From http://www.yellowstoneinsider.com/20100211524/news/articles/retired-park-rangers-beware-new-gun-rules-in-yellowstone.php

"Great Smoky Mountains National Park (TN and NC): This park is an example of one of the problems visitors will face with the new law. In North Carolina, there are few gun restrictions and visitors could be seen openly carrying guns. However, if you happen to be a gun-carrying visitor, you will need a “carry permit” when you cross into the part of the park located in Tennessee."

joedoc
02-16-2010, 18:29
I have been to Asheville a few times.
The Grove Park Inn is tops, sometimes they have weekend specials.
There was a news report last time I was in Asheville; an older couple were hiking about 18 mo ago and crossed paths with a serial killer.
They were not carrying, unfortunately, and were both murdered.
I think they caught the killer, maybe a local can update the story.

SwampFox89
02-16-2010, 19:11
I'm from Marion, which is practically Asheville's beard.

1.)Grove Park at Biltmore is definitely tops, like joedoc said. If you don't mind a couple minutes' drive to save money on a hotel, it's alot cheaper to stay in Black Mountain.

2.) Any of the mom'n'pop places down town to eat are your best bet, but if you don't want to chance it, Mellow Mushroom is good (unless you're the anti-hippie type) and all of the chain places near the Asheville Mall are decent (try Frank's Roman Pizza).

3.) I can't help you with number 3. I'm not 21 yet, so I haven't looked into it at all.

Indy_Guy_77
02-16-2010, 19:14
Thanks for the replies so far, folks. This Yankee (GASP!!!) appreciates it.

-J-

southernshooter
02-16-2010, 19:33
If you are going while it is still winter, maybe check out the Biltmore house. If you go a little later in early spring go up to Mt Mitchell, highest point east of the Mississippi. Cruise the parkway, check out Grandfather mountain and a million other places. (Mt Mitchell is closed near the top during winter)

ncglock19
02-16-2010, 20:33
I'm unsure what your driving path will be, but be aware (unless a miracle has occurred) that parts of I-40 are closed due to a rock slide last year. Check your route to be on the safe side.

joe

Indy_Guy_77
02-17-2010, 05:44
Yeah, a co-worker alerted me to the I-40 "issue" yesterday. There are plenty of other routes to take... Will take considerably longer, of course, but should be gorgeous driving!

We'd planned on the Biltmore...even though it's going to cost a pretty penny for the both of us. But, for roughly 1.5 days of "stuff" to do...probably worth it.

the time frame we'll be going is the end of March - first of April...hopefully. My wife's a teacher and that week is her spring break.

Indy_Guy_77
02-18-2010, 06:33
Guess I-40 is supposed to be open sometime in March...

Good if it does...good if it doesn't. Might take the detour anyhow, just for better scenery!