New guy. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New guy.

BigJoe13
02-16-2010, 16:10
Howdy all!

Just joined the forum and saw this sub-group. You all have some nice knives. Figured I would share some pictures.

Here is an older picture of some of mine:
http://coldsteelforums.com/thumb.axd/400_543/2F7750653F5A4377907D72CB8F8C8899.JPG

These are just Cold Steel fixed blades I have:
http://coldsteelforums.com/thumb.axd/400_543/092A1382800C4109959E1408B8988AAB.JPG

Some of my more exotic blades:
http://coldsteelforums.com/thumb.axd/400_543/1857B56AAD2F41B59664EA4086448C1A.JPG

Look forward to your replies.
-Joe

stgha
02-16-2010, 16:53
Nice Barong and Kris sword!

BigJoe13
02-16-2010, 17:13
stgha,
Thank you.

The Barong is from Cold Steel, fits my size 12 hands better than the Native versions I have handled.

The Kris is hand made from SE Asia area, do not know specifics of wear. It fits very well in my hand.

Both blades seem very lively in the hand and like to cut things.

mi-fordson
02-16-2010, 17:21
Welcome to the forum..... Very nice collection of knife's...

mi-fordson

TheLastDaze
02-16-2010, 21:48
DUDE ... You're sick....:supergrin:

Welcome, man you have some sharpening time on your hands...

MTHall49
02-17-2010, 19:16
Welcome. Great group here!

skanless
02-17-2010, 19:20
Welcome. :wavey: Nice little knife collection.

Glock1963
02-17-2010, 21:30
Very nice. I am interested in hearing why you're such a fan of Cold Steel knives? I just bought a Trailmaster in Carbon V steel. It's made in the USA and I found it new for $250.00. I see a few Trailmasters in your pictures.

Is there a particular steel you like better than others? I hear that a lot of people like their Carbon V and San Mai steels best. I guess that makes sense since they're more expensive.

BigJoe13
02-18-2010, 17:15
Very nice. I am interested in hearing why you're such a fan of Cold Steel knives? I just bought a Trailmaster in Carbon V steel. It's made in the USA and I found it new for $250.00. I see a few Trailmasters in your pictures.

Is there a particular steel you like better than others? I hear that a lot of people like their Carbon V and San Mai steels best. I guess that makes sense since they're more expensive.

Well,
I lived in Ventura California for many years, Cold Steel was in my back yard so to speak. I went to all, except two, of the Parking lot sales they had. Paid $90.00 at one for a factory second San Mai III Trail master, that I have yet to have a problem with, or see any cosmetic flaw on. Overall , the large collection of Cold Steel knives is due to good prices typically less than 1/3 of retail prices on their site and outstanding performance.

No particular steel is the "end all, be all" for all jobs. Of the current offerings, Carbon V not being one of them ( Carbon V was made by Camillius under contract to Cold Steel, when they went out of buisness the Carbon V was discontinued, this made it kind of a collectors class steel for some), The SK-5 is the only steel they make that I do not have an expensive blade in (I have several models from the Bushman Fixed blade line). Overall, they (the steels CS uses) are all good for user knives.

I EDC a 4" plain edge clip point voyager in VG-1 steel As this is the biggest knife allowed to be overlooked at work. As long as it keeps to its name sake of "pocket knife" and stays in my pocket no one seems to care. This was the replacement for a 4" AUS8-A, 50/50 edge of the same model. I think I have one of every model voyager except the 3" ones, including the 6" Vaquero Grande and at one time or another both models of the Gunsite. In the last 10 years I have EDC'd various 5", 6" or 4" models of their voyager folders for a minimum of 2 years each. Never had a single malfunction or breakage.

Fixed blades have seen heavy use like splitting seasoned oak and, I have had no problems with them either. Recently, I used the Trail Master for checking how rotted out downed trees were while collecting 3.5 cords of fire wood under a state permit for personal use. I stabbed lots of dead trees, some of which had 2/3rds of the blade penetrate. So far the Trail Master is my favorite woods knife but, the mini-bushman is usually my EDC while camping(discontinued 4" hollow handled knife). For me the Mini-Bushman is a great bushcraft knife, comparable to the Sweedish/Finnish/Norwegian Pukko style in usefulness.

In my experience Cold Steel is very simmilar to Glock Pistols. If it is on you, it works every time you need it. I do have lots of other brands, but these tend to be one or two specific models that I wanted to evaluate or have in my collection.

Glock1963,
I hope I have answered all your questions.

As far as price goes, in my experience it has little to do with the usefulness and durability of a tool. Again I will use Glock Pistols as an example: I own a Kimber Eclips Pro II in .45acp and severl Glocks. Given the choice I tend to carry a Glock, about 1/2 the price of the Kimber. Please do not get me wrong, they are both great firearms, for me the Glock is just more useful.

As stated above the Carbon V is out of prodution, while it was/is a good steel, metalurgy has advanced considerably since its inception. Carbon V is very durable and easy to sharpen in the field with found materials. San Mai steels from Cold Steel are costly due, mainly to the manufacturing process being somewhat involved compared to single layer steels showing up in bar stock, ready to be worked into a blade, weather that is forged or blanked and ground. Personally, I am very impressed with the San Mai blades I own, they hold an edge longer, are highly stain resistant and perform extremly well, yet are as easy to sharpen as any of the others except carbon steel. The San Mai actually need some very specific tools for sharpening.

Glock1963
02-18-2010, 19:16
Thanks for your detailed response.

If I lived that close to their factory, I'd have at least that many too. It's good that I don't. I'd get carried away.

I am pretty much a new jack when it comes to knives. I have the Cold Steel Trailmaster, an Ek Commando, Spyderco Paramilitary, Spyderco Harpy (don't ask me why), Kershaw Tactical Blur and a custom-made knife made locally that is very nice.

I am looking for something new and different. For some reason, I am tempted by the RAT HEST. I don't need it but I think it's cool. I am also considering a TOPS fixed blade (Mil-Spie 5).