Watched a Kimber Blow up Today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Watched a Kimber Blow up Today

Goldendog Redux
02-17-2010, 13:57
While I would like to blame the Kimber:whistling:I am sure it was crappy gun show reloads. It basically blew the contents of the magazine out and lodged some schrapnel in the shooters nose. We could not get the blown out case from the chamber.

Moral:

Wear eye protection and don't shoot unknown ammo. And to think I was thinking about shooting some of that stuff in my Wilson.

MF

Quack
02-17-2010, 14:03
ouch...must've been the MIM barrel/slide/frame that Kimber uses :whistling:

faawrenchbndr
02-17-2010, 14:08

:wow:

kirgi08
02-17-2010, 14:15
:needspics:

LEAD
02-17-2010, 14:19
How many of these type of stories start out with reloads

faawrenchbndr
02-17-2010, 14:48

Yep, nearly all

Quack
02-17-2010, 14:54

save a $1 and spend a thousand.

Tactical black
02-17-2010, 16:18

:rofl::rofl:

bac1023
02-17-2010, 16:33
Scary stuff :shocked:

ilgunguygt
02-17-2010, 16:37
Thats why you load your own.

02-17-2010, 19:24
Every 5 thousand rounds of shooting your own reloads -- you can afford to blow up a gun. Presuming a $1000 gun and 45ACP.

Blaster
02-17-2010, 19:33
I have never had a problem with my reloads and I have shot 10s of thousands. Yet I had factory ammo blow of the case head. Spray me in the face with powder residue and blow the extractor out on my G23.

Goldendog Redux
02-17-2010, 19:46
The guy bought the ammo at a pawn shop in Vegas. The pawn shop allegedly bought it at a gun show. :wow:

The guy who's gun puked, did not buy the ammo. Goat rodeo all around.

Like we's a buncha amechures out yonder.

MF

Ruggles
02-17-2010, 20:25
Dang pulling that brass out of your nostrils must be painful. :(

Yeah those gun show reloads scare me. I have 100 rounds of .223 I have never shot because they are gun show reloads.

Cobra64
02-17-2010, 20:46

There's a lot of that around here. :)

Cobra64
02-17-2010, 20:50
Every 5 thousand rounds of shooting your own reloads -- you can afford to blow up a gun. Presuming a $1000 gun and 45ACP.

Glad I've only loaded 3,800 rounds and have this to look forward to by Spring.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Glock/GlockShot3.jpg

Quack
02-17-2010, 21:32
that's gotta sting a little.

Javelin
02-17-2010, 21:55
I wear gloves when shooting. Folks sometimes look at me funny when it is 100F+ here in Texas and I am wearing them but I don't mind. My suppressors get hot and sometimes crap happens so might as well take a few small precautions.

:cool:

HAIL CAESAR
02-17-2010, 22:32
Glad I've only loaded 3,800 rounds and have this to look forward to by Spring.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Glock/GlockShot3.jpg

Good LORD man is that your hand that is mangled?

mikegun
02-17-2010, 22:49
Good LORD man is that your hand that is mangled?

God that must hurt, looks like part of a frag granade, smacked you, hope no perm damage

JBJ16
02-18-2010, 09:38
While I would like to blame the Kimber:whistling:I am sure it was crappy gun show reloads. It basically blew the contents of the magazine out and lodged some schrapnel in the shooters nose. We could not get the blown out case from the chamber.

Moral:

Wear eye protection and don't shoot unknown ammo. And to think I was thinking about shooting some of that stuff in my Wilson.

MF

I think nose protection is in order too. What can GT recommend?:rofl:

okie
02-18-2010, 09:45
Damn, that's a big bite of a crap sandwich:alex::faint:

the iceman
02-18-2010, 10:11
Yikes!

I have 300 rounds of 10mm reloads I picked up at a gun show...maybe I should think twice. :wow:

MacG22
02-18-2010, 10:43
I wonder how much even shooting gloves would really help you in that situation. Seems like you would still get mangled a little even with gloves on.

Big_Grumpy
02-18-2010, 11:06
Yeeeeeeeesh.... that'll need a band aid.

I was at the range last weekend with the GF and we rented a Kimber 1911. I had nothing but FTF and jams. At one point the slide was stuck out of battery and the only way I could clear it was pulling back on it hard and ejecting the clip by literally ripping it out of there. Scary stuff. Maybe it was the mag., but not sure. Anyway... I've been reading a lot lately that Kimber's QC is sliding, and though they may have been the best in the '90's, it might not be so true today.

MacG22
02-18-2010, 11:15

I was at the range last weekend with the GF and we rented a Kimber 1911. I had nothing but FTF and jams. At one point the slide was stuck out of battery and the only way I could clear it was pulling back on it hard and ejecting the clip by literally ripping it out of there. Scary stuff. Maybe it was the mag., but not sure. Anyway... I've been reading a lot lately that Kimber's QC is sliding, and though they may have been the best in the '90's, it might not be so true today.

FYI, if you were experiencing a double feed, the correct technique for clearing it would indeed be "ripping" the magazine down and out of the grip completely, after locking the slide back to release tension of the partially fed round.

Big_Grumpy
02-18-2010, 11:35
That's just it. I COULDN'T lock the slide back! It wouldn't travel more than 1/4" back. It was buggered. I had to pull it back as much as it would allow while simultaneously trying to eject and rip out the mag. Bullets were all jammed in the chamber and I couldn't expel them either, until I got the mag. out.

Not a pleasant 1st experience with a Kimber.

Goldendog Redux
02-18-2010, 12:05
Update:

The Kimber was back up and running today. Dude got the blown case out of the barrel, gave the gun the once over and ran through a qual today with it.

I am not sure if he detail stripped it or not.

MF

jmb79
02-18-2010, 21:33
That's just it. I COULDN'T lock the slide back! It wouldn't travel more than 1/4" back. It was buggered. I had to pull it back as much as it would allow while simultaneously trying to eject and rip out the mag. Bullets were all jammed in the chamber and I couldn't expel them either, until I got the mag. out.

While I am not a fan of Kimbers, I wouldn't blame the pistol. Range rental guns are notorious for receiving few cleanings and no maintenance. The gun range owners don't want to spend the time or money to keept the guns running properly.

PlasticGuy
02-19-2010, 10:02

If you take any gun and use it as a rental, it is asking a lot. I've done a lot of instruction at different ranges in the inland northwest, and I've seen a lot of good guns ruined after being pressed into service as rentals. That includes Glocks and S&W revolvers. The fact that an abused Kimber rental gun wasn't working right means nothing.

And I don't buy the "quality control" is slipping statement either. While their external extractor didn't work out, I haven't seen any significant change in their level of fit and finish. I have two of their very early series I pistols, and have had three series II guns, and I couldn't see any difference other than the firing pin safety.

I'm no Kimber fan boy. I'll even readily admit that their $1000+ models are a bit overpriced (except arguably their Super Match). Their base models are good though, and are no worse today than they were a decade ago.

den888
02-19-2010, 20:11
Scary, thanks for letting us know.

Spinnerblade
02-19-2010, 20:18

Be very careful when trying to pull back a stuck slide with a live cartridge in the chamber. If you have an extended ejector, it can hit the primer if the slide suddenly lets go. If anything is close to the ejection port it can get blasted.

I'm not a Kimber fan, but I think the ammo was probably at fault here. Give it a try with some factory ammo.Patrick

Jason D
02-19-2010, 20:24

While I am sure there are bad or out of spec guns out there floating around, the same can be said for every other manufacturer. The only place around here that rents guns, doesn't bother to clean them.

It could be you were given a dirty gun.

I can only speak of my experience with Kimbers I have owned. From a very early model, right up to a series II Super Match. I have never run into a bad one.

GVFlyer
02-20-2010, 00:36
Here's the backstory on that picture.

<!-- End .post --> <!-- Begin #comments --> Saturday, July 04, 2009

<!-- Begin .post --> Clear that Chamber!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XCkTSf0swcQ/Sk8ntF5_YKI/AAAAAAAAGDE/vLJbYuSH73A/s320/Wound+Entry+Macro+328.jpg (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XCkTSf0swcQ/Sk8ntF5_YKI/AAAAAAAAGDE/vLJbYuSH73A/s1600-h/Wound+Entry+Macro+328.jpg)"I decided to share my accident from a couple months ago. Glock 19.

I was "sure" I had cleared it. Clip was removed and empty on the table. I reached across the table aiming at the wall to drop the hammer so I could complete disassembly and was resting my left hand on top of the slide, slightly forward such that (apparently) the edge of my palm was down in front of the muzzle.

The huge loss of skin must have been from the muzzle blast. Well, the pictures speak for themselves. The wound is now closed and looks pretty good, but the nerves have not completed healing and the hand surgeon says it will be another two months before my hand and little finger feel normal again.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XCkTSf0swcQ/Sk8n8rhqJWI/AAAAAAAAGDM/DCks6enJDNE/s320/Wound+Exit+Macro++332.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XCkTSf0swcQ/Sk8n8rhqJWI/AAAAAAAAGDM/DCks6enJDNE/s1600-h/Wound+Exit+Macro++332.jpg)I share, hoping that my experience will help others realize that no matter how old you are and how many years of experience you have, it just takes a momentary lapse of concentration to do stuff like this ... or worse.

Like I told my understanding wife ... nothing anyone can say will teach me anything more than I learned the hard way. But fire away if you must. I am just hoping this helps someone else learn / re-learn the easy way ... never let anything or anyone make you lose your concentration and focus.

And no I don't blame the Glock. This is MY fault and my fault alone. The Glock is not a hard weapon to clear."

From Negligentdischarge.com

.357 Glocker
02-20-2010, 00:47
Owie:wow:

mikegun
02-20-2010, 01:50
The range i go to has a basic Kimber ULTRA 45 with an external extractor no less, they have rented to the tune of 50 000 or 60 000 rounds, and never done any repairs except clean it rarely and changed the recoil spring, never a prob with the little 45, with an aluminum frame.....i am guessing it was the stupid reload ....but any gun can blow up, lets not forget the glock 23 kabooms, prior to Glock reinforcing the chambers on 40s, which they will not admit to this day........but the g22 23 kabooms sem to have all but stopped.

Dobie
02-20-2010, 12:32
I share, hoping that my experience will help others realize that no matter how old you are and how many years of experience you have, it just takes a momentary lapse of concentration to do stuff like this ... or worse.

Thanks for sharing, no flame here man. You made a mistake, paid for it harshly and then shared the experience to warn others. Sorry it happened but it just made me realize to take the extra time and recheck everything.

torrejon224
02-20-2010, 13:18
I have been reloading for many. many years and this happened to me for the first time about a month ago. First shot and from one of my Rock Rivers no less. The mag blew out and what I think was the primer came back and hit me in the face and blood was dripping everywhere. I was more worried about the gun than myself and Thank God it is fine but it was a hard lesson. Now I will never trust a digital scale again without backing it up with a balance scale. What the digital read as 5.4 of AA#2 turned out to be 8.8! I think what really saved my hands was the VZ grips I had just installed, it left a huge imprint of the grip in my right hand but as I said everything else was fine!

CitizenOfDreams
02-20-2010, 14:22
I think nose protection is in order too. What can GT recommend?:rofl:

http://www.funjumpsent.com/images/prizes/prize-16.jpg

Master T
02-20-2010, 14:29
After years of reloading. I myself loaded some 38's to 357 specs by accident. I new what had happened after the first shot. My mistake and luckily no injuries resulted.
Point is reloads can be very dangerous, even if you did them.

GVFlyer
02-20-2010, 14:49
Thanks for sharing, no flame here man. You made a mistake, paid for it harshly and then shared the experience to warn others. Sorry it happened but it just made me realize to take the extra time and recheck everything.

Thank you, but so far only other people have shot me.

I had recalled seeing that picture and other gruesome mistakes on http://negligentdischarge.com so I extracted that narrative from the website for posting here to support Cobra64's post #16.

If it served as a tune-up to remind us all to "be careful out there", then it's all good.

HAMMERHEAD
02-20-2010, 15:24
Gun show loads = an idiot pumping out rounds in his garage with his wiz bang blue press while his baby's momma is screaming at him to get a real job.

I'm still plodding along with my turret press, inspecting 50 charged cases together before they get their bullets.

Just because the speed demon reloaders blow themselves up with regularity, doesn't mean us handloaders will.

anyplainjoe
02-20-2010, 17:44
Someone should trademark 'gunshow reloads' and charge for eachtime it's used to explain a problem.

Dobie
02-22-2010, 15:13
Thank you, but so far only other people have shot me.

I had recalled seeing that picture and other gruesome mistakes on http://negligentdischarge.com so I extracted that narrative from the website for posting here to support Cobra64's post #16.

If it served as a tune-up to remind us all to "be careful out there", then it's all good.

Sorry I misunderstood and thought it was you, glad it wasnt but like you said its a good reminder. Now hopefully other people will stop shooting you also :wow:

KinderGlocken
02-23-2010, 22:13
I have been reloading for many. many years and this happened to me for the first time about a month ago. First shot and from one of my Rock Rivers no less. The mag blew out and what I think was the primer came back and hit me in the face and blood was dripping everywhere. I was more worried about the gun than myself and Thank God it is fine but it was a hard lesson. Now I will never trust a digital scale again without backing it up with a balance scale. What the digital read as 5.4 of AA#2 turned out to be 8.8! I think what really saved my hands was the VZ grips I had just installed, it left a huge imprint of the grip in my right hand but as I said everything else was fine!

And that's why I use a beam scale also I look down into each case after powder drop.

CanyonMan
02-23-2010, 22:19
never mind....

CM

HAIL CAESAR
02-23-2010, 22:51
Gun show loads = an idiot pumping out rounds in his garage with his wiz bang blue press while his baby's momma is screaming at him to get a real job.

I'm still plodding along with my turret press, inspecting 50 charged cases together before they get their bullets.

Just because the speed demon reloaders blow themselves up with regularity, doesn't mean us handloaders will.

I guess I could be called a speed demon with blue press as I crank out 600 to 700 an hour. I do not enjoy reloading it's self, I enjoy shooting A LOT that reloading affords me.
That being said, if you know what you are doing then there is little to worry about with a blue press and more to worry about with the slow as you go presses. The blue presses are actually safer if you keep your head screwed on straight.

GreyEclipse
02-24-2010, 03:10
Here's the backstory on that picture.

<!-- End .post --> <!-- Begin #comments --> Saturday, July 04, 2009

<!-- Begin .post --> Clear that Chamber!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XCkTSf0swcQ/Sk8ntF5_YKI/AAAAAAAAGDE/vLJbYuSH73A/s320/Wound+Entry+Macro+328.jpg (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XCkTSf0swcQ/Sk8ntF5_YKI/AAAAAAAAGDE/vLJbYuSH73A/s1600-h/Wound+Entry+Macro+328.jpg)"I decided to share my accident from a couple months ago. Glock 19.

I was "sure" I had cleared it. Clip was removed and empty on the table. I reached across the table aiming at the wall to drop the hammer so I could complete disassembly and was resting my left hand on top of the slide, slightly forward such that (apparently) the edge of my palm was down in front of the muzzle.

The huge loss of skin must have been from the muzzle blast. Well, the pictures speak for themselves. The wound is now closed and looks pretty good, but the nerves have not completed healing and the hand surgeon says it will be another two months before my hand and little finger feel normal again.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XCkTSf0swcQ/Sk8n8rhqJWI/AAAAAAAAGDM/DCks6enJDNE/s320/Wound+Exit+Macro++332.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XCkTSf0swcQ/Sk8n8rhqJWI/AAAAAAAAGDM/DCks6enJDNE/s1600-h/Wound+Exit+Macro++332.jpg)I share, hoping that my experience will help others realize that no matter how old you are and how many years of experience you have, it just takes a momentary lapse of concentration to do stuff like this ... or worse.

Like I told my understanding wife ... nothing anyone can say will teach me anything more than I learned the hard way. But fire away if you must. I am just hoping this helps someone else learn / re-learn the easy way ... never let anything or anyone make you lose your concentration and focus.

And no I don't blame the Glock. This is MY fault and my fault alone. The Glock is not a hard weapon to clear."

From Negligentdischarge.com

Ouch, sorry about that, man. Hope it gets better soon.