need AMD-65 help ASAP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : need AMD-65 help ASAP

forjoshhall
02-17-2010, 14:27
So a local store has a brand new in box Hungarian AMD-65 7.62 x 39 for sale for $399. I don't know much about AKs and couldn't destinguish where it was made or if it is quality and worth the money. On the box, paperwork, or gun, the guy found the words fejyver es gepgyar and also tgi knox tn. Should I buy this? Is it a good deal?

CarlosC
02-17-2010, 15:02
Buy it.

See if it says FEG on the receiver. If it does, it's a very good bargain. Regardless, it's a good deal.

Sully:vz-58
02-17-2010, 15:52
If it says TGI it is probably an FEG (Hungarian) import. TGI is an importer. I say go for it.

forjoshhall
02-17-2010, 17:48
it is TGI with FEG stamped on the receiver

byaah_19
02-17-2010, 17:58
I had a amd-65 about a year ago and after about 500 rounds with many FTFs a traded it for a g23 talo edition. Mine was not the most reliable. I may of just had a lemon but mine was no good. I even took it to a gunsmith and he said everything should be fine. Just my experience.

Zapfenstreich
02-17-2010, 19:32
I'm in the same position as the OP. $399 seems like a screaming deal. So I wonder, why are they so cheap? At J&G, there are two kinds of very similar guns with very different prices hanging on the walls:

1. AMD-63 with wooden stock and US receiver: $729
2. AMD-65 with folding stock and FEG receiver: $399

Why the huge price discrepancy? Is it because the FEG guns need to use US-made mags to be legal?

Research I've done indicates that the $399 -65s are all-Hungarian, including chrome-lined barrel, but I don't know for sure. Seems too good to be true. There's gotta be a catch.

DWhitehorne
02-23-2010, 15:50
I'm not the ak expert but I traded a guy an old WASR10 and some cash for a brand new AMD65 a few months ago. He said he didn't like the folding stock and wanted a fixed stock. Also the FEG guns have only the trigger group as compliance parts so they require US made mags for the three other 922 parts. I'm guessing as to why that maybe part of the reason for the price difference.

The AMD I got was a FEG stamped receiver made in Hungary with a single stack magwell converted by TGI to take high cap mags. Sounds like the one the OP is talking about. It should have SA2000 underneath in front of the magwell. I fell in love with mine because for what ever reason, it is the softest shooting ak I have ever fired and it throws out a fireball like a M44. There seems to be a lot of AMD 65 parts guns floating around out there that are hit or miss. From what I have read the SA2000 marked guns where built in Hungary and have the original chrome lined barrels. I say go for it if you want a fun blaster.

Here is mine. I changed the plastic grips out for wood ones. David

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/IMG_2884.jpg

CarlosC
02-24-2010, 07:03
The AMD-65 guns only need two parts aside from the FCG to be legal. You see, the muzzle brake is permanently attached, so it is considered part of the barrel. As far as the ATF is concerned, the AMD-65 is only made up of 15 parts, 5 of which have to be made in the US.

mitchshrader
02-24-2010, 07:06
Buy it. If they have two, buy both.

indiegrind
02-25-2010, 17:57
just bought me one!

Zapfenstreich
02-26-2010, 08:17
The AMD-65 guns only need two parts aside from the FCG to be legal.

So that means that the guns must be used with American-made mag bodies that have American-made followers to be legal, right?

Or, I guess if somebody got creative, they could install an American-made pistol grip and butt stock, or pistol grip and gas piston... just so long as the gun has two additional American-made parts on ATF's list of parts that make a difference in terms of 922r compliance. Right?

Carlos, is this the case, or are the guns actually legal to use with imported mags as they come from the store? Reading between the lines, it seems that they are only legal with American-made mags like the one in the box, and that anyone who installs an imported mag now has a 922r-violating rifle, which, if ATF decided to get legalistic, could be a trip to Club Fed for the poor sob who installed the foreign magazine.

Thanks!

ricanman
03-30-2010, 05:03
I just got mine from J&G last Wednesday after paying $438 which includes shipping and $25 FFL fee. Took it to the range on Thursday and it was jamming after every third round. Tried three different magazines with the same results. Back home, I dismantled it looking for the problem and the only thing I could find was that the magazine fitted loose. Further inspection revealed a 1/8" gap between the magazine catch and the release latch. I went back to the range on Saturday and stuck a piece os plastic in the 1/8" gap and fired over 200 rounds of both FMJ and HP without a single jam. I could not hit an elephant while standing but once I got the hang of it I was grouping them pretty good at 50 yards in the prone position.

I have since ordered a set of Hungarian made magazines and hopefully that would take care of the problem. The rack and red-dot I added the same day I got it. It came with wooden grips.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv13/avellanet/IMG_0246.jpg

spyder1969
08-15-2010, 17:05
I read the Hungarian surplus 20 round magazines are better for the AMD. I recently purchased an AMD from TGI stamped FEG with the Tapco trigger. Had to send it back!! Would shoot low, really low. Could not hit the side of a barn at 5 feet. There was a nick in the muzzle from a round. The muzzle break is probably not properly fitted. Sucks but gotta wait now.:dunno:

Glocker08
08-15-2010, 21:52
So a local store has a brand new in box Hungarian AMD-65 7.62 x 39 for sale for $399. I don't know much about AKs and couldn't destinguish where it was made or if it is quality and worth the money. On the box, paperwork, or gun, the guy found the words fejyver es gepgyar and also tgi knox tn. Should I buy this? Is it a good deal?

"Fejyver es gepgyar" is Hungarian for "you should buy me". :supergrin: I say scoop it up.

Glocker08
08-15-2010, 21:58
I read the Hungarian surplus 20 round magazines are better for the AMD. I recently purchased an AMD from TGI stamped FEG with the Tapco trigger. Had to send it back!! Would shoot low, really low. Could not hit the side of a barn at 5 feet. There was a nick in the muzzle from a round. The muzzle break is probably not properly fitted. Sucks but gotta wait now.:dunno:

Did you try adjusting the rear sight to see if it would shoot more accurately ?

Texas_XD
08-16-2010, 09:04

Not to be starting anything, but how is adjusting the rear sight going to fix a crooked welded/installed muzzle brake? If the rounds are tagging the MB on the way out, something else is probably wrong.. and dangerously so.

Spyder1969 said:
There was a nick in the muzzle from a round. The muzzle break is probably not properly fitted.

ricanman:

did the new mags fix the problem or is it just bad placement of front trunnion/mag release?

spyder1969
08-16-2010, 21:27

The first 10 rounds I adjusted and re-adjusted the sights. I thought what the hell! I looked at the muzzle break and then thought this is not good!

CarlosC
08-18-2010, 05:29
So that means that the guns must be used with American-made mag bodies that have American-made followers to be legal, right?

Or, I guess if somebody got creative, they could install an American-made pistol grip and butt stock, or pistol grip and gas piston... just so long as the gun has two additional American-made parts on ATF's list of parts that make a difference in terms of 922r compliance. Right?

Carlos, is this the case, or are the guns actually legal to use with imported mags as they come from the store? Reading between the lines, it seems that they are only legal with American-made mags like the one in the box, and that anyone who installs an imported mag now has a 922r-violating rifle, which, if ATF decided to get legalistic, could be a trip to Club Fed for the poor sob who installed the foreign magazine.

Thanks!

Wow, I must have been snoozing back when you originally posted this and I never replied....sorry.

The main thing to keep in mind when complying with 922r is that no more than 10 parts can be imported on the AK, so you're on the right track. If the FEG guns only have a US FCG, then they do need a US mag right out of the box to be legal as you said.

I believe someone is now making Hungarian style pistol grips here in the US, so just replacing those would solve the problem, so you could use any mag you wanted, or you could try a combination of US parts until you hit the magic number. For me, I like replacing the followers with those from Arsenal...it's an easy way to get a compliance part and I get to keep the foreign mag bodies.

CarlosC
08-18-2010, 05:46

This is like deja vu for me with my AMD. Mine was made by Century and had the barrel threaded at an angle, so the rounds came very close to hitting the brake. While they didn't actually touch the brake, the extreme brake angle and the fact the crown was not perpendicular to the bore did affect the point of impact tremendously - several feet to the right at 50 yds!

In the end, I decided to fix the gun myself by cutting off 1/2" from the end of the barrel, rethreading it, relocating the FSB, recrowning, and reinstalling the brake and pinning it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/AMD%20barrel/DSC00678.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/AMD%20barrel/DSC00682.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/AMD%20barrel/DSC00683.jpg
Here's a pic of the nub I cut off on the end of the TAT. Notice the angle difference compared to the perpendicular nub.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/AMD%20barrel/DSC00691.jpg

Texas_XD
08-18-2010, 10:38
Very nice work!

I love it when folks include pics of their basic steps! :supergrin:

alexanderg23
08-18-2010, 10:50
I've got a and65 from century. I love it function great and is more accurate than I would of guessed. Mine was 399 too I'd buy another if I had the chance. I like the folding stock too.

spyder1969
08-20-2010, 17:55
@ CarlosC very interesting! I picked mine back up today. The muzzle break was re-threaded and spot welded. Gun shop says she is 100% now. Tomorrow is range day. Gonna heat her up and see.

Nice work!!

spyder1969
08-21-2010, 15:51
Today I was at the range and shot the AMD-65 with no troubles. Got her sighted in and was enjoying myself! :supergrin: BUT after 180 rounds, :faint: the muzzle break was literally breaking off! :steamed: Took it to the gun shop, Oh, we can fix it AGAIN. I said no thanks, how about a different rifle. They said sure no problem. I have known these guys for a while at the shop. The only problem is, do I want to try another AMD and have the same problem or go for a different AK-47? But which one?

spyder1969
08-23-2010, 18:45
Went back to the gun shop today. The said they would give me an in store credit towards any rifle and apologized for the AMD mishap. I asked them if they could look into a Yugo M70B2 or a Saiga 7.62. I am in no hurry. They offered me a Polish Tantal 5.45, but no interest in the 5.45. Plus it is a CAI Tantal. I might as well go to Vegas and roll some dice!!