Melbourne, FL Info Needed! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne, FL Info Needed!

DannyR
02-17-2010, 14:19
I appeal to my Glocktalk friends to provide some info on the Melbourne, FL area. My daughter, a Glocktalk member, is considering a transfer there. If that happens, she will be looking for a short term apartment that will allow her large German Shepherd dog. As soon as her townhouse in DC sells, she will be looking for a 3 to 4 bedroom ranch style house. We know nothing of the area, although she may be down there in March for 2 to 3 weeks.

If she accepts the transfer and moves, we will probably follow suit in a year or two.

Thank you in advance for any assistance and information you may provide.

FSHNFVR
02-17-2010, 15:59
See your post in GSSF just posted a response.

Ralff
02-19-2010, 08:25
I lived in Caribbean Isle apartments for a bit in the Lake Washington area and they allowed large dogs when I lived there, although the deposit was pretty big for larger dogs (I think it was 300 for dogs under 50#, 500 for over 50#). Very nice apartments but just a bit on the expensive side. Nice staff and maintenance was prompt.

I think she will be able to find a very decent house in Melbourne. If she doesn't mind waiting on a short sale, she can really REALLY do well. It is a buyer's market here right now. I recommend AGAINST Palm Bay. The houses there are cheap, some very cheap for what you get. The crime rate in many of the areas is high though.

GENERALLY, if the zip code is 3293_ it's fine. If its 3290_, be careful. That's not to say that you can't find a good house in 32901, or that you can't find a bad house in 32934, but like I said, generally, that's what you want to look out for.

My wife and I are waiting on a short sale to close out on our first house. If she needs the name of a good realtor, I can help her out as well. Our realtor is fantastic.

glockpacker
02-19-2010, 08:35
If she pays a small fee for a 60-day membership, and goes onto www.roommates.com , she will find many homes to share and rooms for rent. She may have better luck there than looking for apartments.

But on to IMPORTANT subjects. Near Melbourne, just west of Palm Bay, is one of the very best gun clubs in THE COUNTRY.

www.pmrpc.com , the Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club is not just "the range." It is FOURTEEN ranges of all sorts. There's everything from air guns at 25 yards to high power rifle at 600 yards. We hold regional matches of various kinds on the 600-yard range, which is the only one in Florida. If 600 scares you, we also do some 200 and 300 yard shooting there.

There's lots of pistol and shotgun stuff, and even some machine gun fun.

One of the nicest places on the planet is the 200-yard sight-in range, which is off by itself. In the late afternoon you can often have the range to yourself, and just enjoy the serenity and solitude of the place, or shoot to your heart's content.

For a hundred bucks a year, your get your own electronic key to the automatic gate. You come in any time you like, and shoot between 8AM and sundown. You're your own range officer, and it's your duty to be safe.

Ralff
02-19-2010, 09:00
Oh yes, the Port Malabar club is the best around IMO. There is a good indoor pistol range up in Titusville at the Police Hall of Fame as well, but it's a bit of a drive.

I forgot to mention, if you're looking for real estate, you can use www.brevardmls.com and click on "Public Site". The areas are 320 to 331 if I remember correctly. Also, if the MLS number ends with a K, it means the house is in negotiation and is not available for a bid.

kilroy2721
02-21-2010, 07:40
While I don't live in the Melbourne area, I can vouch for the Port Malibar club. I go there for the IDPA matches. Very nice.

LMBFlorida
02-21-2010, 16:04
There's everything from air guns at 25 yards to high power rifle at 600 yards. We hold regional matches of various kinds on the 600-yard range, which is the only one in Florida. If 600 scares you, we also do some 200 and 300 yard shooting there.

Sounds like a great club. I like the idea of a range to yourself.

I shoot at the Manatee Gun and Archery Club. We have a series of ranges up to and including a 1000 yd range. I am only shooting at the 565 yard gongs but my next step is to go for the 1000 yd targets. I just need more practice, practice, practice.

http://www.manateegunclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=53

YearZero
02-22-2010, 07:10
My family and I have been in Melbourne for about 3 years now and I totally agree with Ralff and what others said. Stick to the 3293X zip codes and its all good.

Tell her to look for a place by Wickham park. It has a doggy run that's fully enclosed and has large/small dog areas for the dogs to run and play in. I have a house that's only a 3 min walk from there and even though we have a fully enclosed back yard for my two Doberman's to run in, we take them there for the social interaction with other dogs. It's also a nice park to just relax in. You can jog and bike around the perimeter as well.

DannyR
02-23-2010, 23:14
Thank you for your wonderful and helpful responses. My daughter will be flying down this weekend on a two-week business trip and will check things out in her spare time.