Opinions of Kimber Eclipse Ultra II 45 cal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Kimber Eclipse Ultra II 45 cal

Glock30 Guy
02-17-2010, 15:09
Been looking around for a smaller (3" barrel) 1911 style pistol and this one caught my eye today. I really like it but wanted to see what others here had to say about real life experiences. It will be back up or primary carry concealed. Thanks

bac1023
02-17-2010, 15:30
I don't care for the small 1911s at all really.

The Eclipse is a decent gun, all else being equal.

Glock30 Guy
02-17-2010, 15:47
Is the size an issue because of the 45 caliber being a bit more robust or is it something else?

GJ1981
02-17-2010, 16:55
I know someone who owned the UC Eclipse model and had nothing but problems. It was returned to the factory at least once but still wouldn't run right. I know we tried at least 7 brands of ammo and various mags but nothing worked. It couldn't go more than 30-40 rounds without failing to feed.

This was one of the UC's with the integral feed ramp on the barrel.

I had an older UC with the traditional feed ramp and it never missed a beat.

The short 1911's can work but I wouldn't go with anything less than a 4".

Rimcrew
02-17-2010, 19:15
I have an Ultra CDP and an Ultra Eclipse. I can't tell you about the Eclipse as I haven't shot it yet - other than I really like the way it looks, but the CDP has been flawless throught 350 rounds.

I like the 3" .45's a lot. They are much easier for me to carry than even a 4" (just the way I am built, I guess) and seem to be extrememly accurate at SD ranges.

I guess if I had one that gave me fits I would shy away from them too, but that hasn't happened....yet.

Ruggles
02-17-2010, 19:23
Yeah they are hit and miss. I have owned 2 (UCII EE and a UC Raptor IE) The UCII was a POS of the highest degree. The UC Raptor was a jewel. I sold it after convincing myself I did not need a 3" 1911 :(

I have a SIS UC in layaway and will have it out in March. Those 3" 1911 have their issues but are a joy to carry in South Texas during the summer so I am going for a 3rd time.

Glock30 Guy
02-18-2010, 04:01
I wonder if people are buying them and not following the directions in the manual that states you must fire 400-500 FMJ ball rounds before trying to fire any hollow points. That might be why they get so many jams. It needs to be broken in perhaps. I know these are expensive so I'm being cautious about this purchase. It sure felt sweet in the store today though. I prefer the 3" barrel mainly due to summer carry conditions.

GJ1981
02-18-2010, 06:17
I wonder if people are buying them and not following the directions in the manual that states you must fire 400-500 FMJ ball rounds before trying to fire any hollow points. That might be why they get so many jams. It needs to be broken in perhaps.

IMO, the break-in is a myth. I have yet to find a Kimber that was tight enough to warrant the claim.

I can say with mine old UC, we fired 450-500 rounds the first night with no trouble.

My friend's UC Eclipse had close to 800 rounds of ball and still wouldn't function, so he sent it in only to have it returned with the same problems.

I would stay away from the integrated feedramp, but that is just based on my experience between the two styles. I think all newer UC's use the integrated style but I may be wrong.