Maybe some insight on where Springfield's are "made". [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Maybe some insight on where Springfield's are "made".

Quack
02-17-2010, 16:43
Here's an interesting read. It's an article between the Mil-spec, Loaded (brazil) and a Trophy match. It's an old article, but might give some insight on what's actually done.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_149_24/ai_65910640/?tag=content;col1

This may still be how the "Brazil" Loaded's are still today:

It's no secret that Springfield's pistols are made in Brazil and the Milspec gun comes into this country complete and ready to go. Guns destined to become Loaded pistols come in without a grip safety or sights. Those are installed in Springfield's Illinois factory.

Springfield has set up a CNC machine to do the frame modifications needed for the beavertail. Both models are marked "FI (made in) Brazil."

Seeing that the frame on the Trophy Match is "partially machined" i do not think it would have "Brazil" on it since >50% of the work is done in the US. Actually never saw (or heard of) a "Brazil" Trophy Match
I would guess the same work would be done on the "NM" Loaded's

When we step up to the Trophy Match it is a very different gun, although the appearance is very much like the Loaded pistols. For the Trophy Match, only a partially machined frame is imported. The magazine well and most of the internal cuts are done, but there are no rail cuts at all. Springfield machines these on their CNC equipment.

bac1023
02-17-2010, 18:19
The Trophy Match is certainly a step up over the Loaded.

Its essentially a TRP with target sights and without an upgraded finish.

RonS
02-17-2010, 19:01
If the machining on my Champion is any indication, they are doing a good job in Brazil.

bac1023
02-17-2010, 19:05
If the machining on my Champion is any indication, they are doing a good job in Brazil.

IMBEL steel in Brazil is great.

Magus
02-17-2010, 19:10
IMBEL steel in Brazil is great.

+1 on that.

The stuff made by IMBEL is quite good.

Honestly any of the production models you happen to find w/ and NM serial# prefix(which are assembled in the U.S.) are made from those IMBEL parts.

The debate really comes down to how they're assembled. I've got two Mil-Spec models. One assembled in Brazil and one in the U.S., they're both very good honestly for different reasons. I woudln't hesitate to take a Springer assembled in Brazil...from the standpoint of a production 1911, they're truly quite good.

ronin.45
02-17-2010, 19:18
I've seen Stainless loaded SA's from both Brazil and the US. For some reason the novak sights on the US made guns are plain black and the novaks on the Brazilian ones are white dot. :dunno:Quality was the same.

krunchnik
02-17-2010, 19:22
My Springer Compact with alloy frame is also originated in Brasil,so I guess they are even into the alloy.I contacted Springfield and was told my pistol was manufactured in 1998.

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx272/krunchnik/IMG_0970.jpg

brisk21
02-17-2010, 21:13
So basically, Springfield Armory is really just an American importer and custom shop? I pretty much got that. Do they "make" any of their firearms?

Navitimer
02-17-2010, 21:19
My only issue with this topic is that, IMHO, Springfield doesn't freely advertise the fact that they're made in Brazil. I know that IMBEL makes great stuff (their FALs are awesome). But go to Springfield's website and pull up the images of the 1911s, and you'll see that none of those pictured on the site have the Brazil markings. Yet if you order one from your dealer, a Loaded model for example, it comes clearly engraved on the frame as made in Brazil. It will also have tags with the American flag saying something to the extent that Springfield is the oldest name in American firearms. Just a little misleading if you ask me, but I do acknowledge that their 1911s are pretty nice.

Quack
02-17-2010, 21:22
So basically, Springfield Armory is really just an American importer and custom shop? I pretty much got that. Do they "make" any of their firearms?

All frames & slides start from Imbel forgings.
If >50% of the work is preformed in the US, then it doesn't get the "IMBEL" markings.

Quack
02-17-2010, 21:27
My only issue with this topic is that, IMHO, Springfield doesn't freely advertise the fact that they're made in Brazil. I know that IMBEL makes great stuff (their FALs are awesome). But go to Springfield's website and pull up the images of the 1911s, and you'll see that none of those pictured on the site have the Brazil markings. Yet if you order one from your dealer, a Loaded model for example, it comes clearly engraved on the frame as made in Brazil. It will also have tags with the American flag saying something to the extent that Springfield is the oldest name in American firearms. Just a little misleading if you ask me, but I do acknowledge that their 1911s are pretty nice.

Correct. "The First Name in American Firearms"

brisk21
02-17-2010, 22:06
All frames & slides start from Imbel forgings.
If >50% of the work is preformed in the US, then it doesn't get the "IMBEL" markings.

Ok, what about the internals? What about the barrels, hammers, ect. Does Imbel make them? Does Springfield make them here in the U.S.?

Quack
02-17-2010, 22:24
i believe IMBEL as well.

bac1023
02-17-2010, 22:59

I believe all their frames and slides are IMBEL, including those used in the custom shop.

FLIPPER 348
02-17-2010, 23:56

They don't 'make' anything as they are a company in name only since the buyout, they sub everything out.

AZ Husker
02-18-2010, 00:03
They are an assembler of 1911 parts. I hate how they try to abuse the old Springfield Armory name.

pistolwrench
02-18-2010, 00:23
I've really enjoyed working with their frames and slides.

http://rogersprecision.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/60.jpg

http://rogersprecision.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/s24.jpg

bac1023
02-18-2010, 00:37

Very nice.

It is good quality steel.

MD357
02-18-2010, 03:02

http://rogersprecision.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/60.jpg

http://rogersprecision.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/s24.jpg

Yeah yeah we know....

"Hi my name is Chuck Rogers I can turn lead into gold" :supergrin:

I never can get over the golfballing on the magcatch and underneath the SS, the attention to detail.... simply amazing.

Quack
02-18-2010, 08:45
Yeah yeah we know....

"Hi my name is Chuck Rogers I can turn lead into gold" :supergrin:

:rofl: