Ammo? Headspace? Firing Pin? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ammo? Headspace? Firing Pin?

Broncbuster
02-17-2010, 20:44
Having problems with my WASR 10/63. Gun is new- bought it as a plinker. Here is the story:
Brought the gun home and cleaned it. Took it to the range and had 15 FTF out of 100 rounds. Was using Monarch 123Gr steel case from Academy. Frustrated about the 15 FTF so I stripped it down and recleaned with Break Free and CLP. Reassembled and took back to the range tonight. Tried different ammo. Winchester White Box- no problems with 20 rounds. Wolf 124gr HP 6 FTF out of 40 rounds. Monarch 6 FTF out of 60 rounds.
I then put a few of the rounds back in that did not fire and they fired the second time around. Tried taking a pic of the primers but they are blurry.
Does this sound like a Headspace problem? Firing pin? Or just normal for this cheap ammo the have so many FTF?

GIockGuy24
02-17-2010, 21:05
It might be the firing pin. It should be free moving in the bolt. Inspect each end of it. With the bolt installed in the rifle and the top receiver cover removed see how the hammer contacts the rear of the bolt. Sometimes the Tapco hammer is installed facing backwards. This usually causes more problems than you have but make sure the hammer isn't backwards. Make sure it's hitting square on the firing pin and rear of the bolt.

jdavionic
02-17-2010, 21:11
On the FTFs, are you getting any mark on the primers?

Broncbuster
02-17-2010, 21:15
Yes I am getting marks on the primers. Some look a little lighter than others. Not sure if I should take it back and swap it for another or keep working to figure it out.

jdavionic
02-17-2010, 21:29
Yes I am getting marks on the primers. Some look a little lighter than others. Not sure if I should take it back and swap it for another or keep working to figure it out.

Given it's a new gun. I'd take it back and let them resolve it. I could take some guesses. While I've built multiple AKs, Carlos is our resident expert on the subject. But before you dive into that area, I just don't see the sense in trying to fix a brand new guy. Let the seller resolve it. It could be any number of things - spring improperly installed, receiver hole for the hammer/trigger assembly is too far back,... If you want to venture down the path of fixing it yourself, I'll try to help isolate it or perhaps Carlos will venture here as well. But I think you'd be better off making the seller responsible for getting it right.

GIockGuy24
02-17-2010, 22:05
It might be the hammer spring.

jdavionic
02-18-2010, 04:47
It might be the hammer spring.

Yea, I wondered whether perhaps the legs on the hammer spring were on top of the legs of the trigger. That's an easy check and fix. It ought to look like the wire wound spring legs shown here, paying particular attention to the bottom part of the pic.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/souptonuts5/graphics/l/4.jpg

Broncbuster
02-18-2010, 07:54
That is how the one I have looks. I am going to take it back apart and look at the firing pin and see if it is flattened out causing a light primer strike.

GIockGuy24
02-18-2010, 08:53
Since the WASR 10/63 is made with used parts the hammer spring may have gotten stretched or damaged somewhere in the process. It may just be installed improperly. Even if the legs look correct, it might not have enough tension on the hammer.

dglockster
02-18-2010, 15:05
As you check the FCG in the rifle, check it against the pictures on the two pages of the tutorial at http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/fcgremoval.htm.

toshbar
02-18-2010, 16:24
does the firing pin move freely through the bolt?

anyhow, that is not normal for 15 ftf in 100 rounds.

Broncbuster
02-18-2010, 17:04
The firing pin does move freely. I am going to take it by the gun store tommorrow and swap the firing pin and bolt assy and see if that changes it. If not they are willing to swap it out.

jdavionic
02-18-2010, 17:50
The firing pin does move freely. I am going to take it by the gun store tommorrow and swap the firing pin and bolt assy and see if that changes it. If not they are willing to swap it out.

My guess is they will not want to swap the bolt assembly unless they have a headspace gauge. I would expect them to look at replacing springs.