Tons of AR questions. Please Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tons of AR questions. Please Help

JTLIII
02-18-2010, 00:11
So, Here's my current situation. I have built 2 16" barrel ARs and I don't need both. I want to only keep one, and really make that a nice one(better quality accessories) and sell the other.

I plan to use this rifle for casual shooting/plinking, 3gun matches in the future, and HD/SHTF.

The specs are:

#1 Model 1 sales, heavy barrel 16" all flat top, UTG quad rail, YHM flip up front site, GG&G flip up rear site. Essential arms lower, standard CAR buttstock

#2 DSA M4 style upper, UTG extended quad rail (the kind with cut out for site post), Flip up rear site, Magpul ACS stock. Essential arms lower

Questions:
1. Which upper would be better in the long run, the M4 style or the all flattop heavy barrel?
2. Which style quad rail should i stick with, standard 7" or extended.
3. If I were to switch stocks, what is better quality the VLtor Emod stock, or the Magpul ACS?
4. What is the advantage of free float over 2 piece?
5. Are there any clear advantages to having different flash hiders? THey both have the standard A2, would the phantom, or the vortex be better? and why?
6. One gun has a M16 bolt carrier, the other has AR15. They are both legal, so would one be better to keep than the other?

I am looking to get this quad rail if I keep the DSA upper

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/DD%2010005-2.jpg

or potentially a full length 12 or 13" rail and make the flatop more of dissapator.

I just need suggestions/opinions...thanks...

mvician
02-18-2010, 11:14
Questions:
1. Which upper would be better in the long run, the M4 style or the all flattop heavy barrel?
The lighter M4 barrel
2. Which style quad rail should i stick with, standard 7" or extended.
depends on your shooting style
3. If I were to switch stocks, what is better quality the VLtor Emod stock, or the Magpul ACS?
equal, I have both
4. What is the advantage of free float over 2 piece?
accuracy at long range
5. Are there any clear advantages to having different flash hiders? THey both have the standard A2, would the phantom, or the vortex be better? and why?
Vortex, or better is the ACC Blackout
6. One gun has a M16 bolt carrier, the other has AR15. They are both legal, so would one be better to keep than the other?
keep the M16 carrier

:wavey: My answers in RED These are my opinions, and those of others may vary :cool:

JTLIII
02-18-2010, 11:32
Thanks!

kabob983
02-18-2010, 11:33
:wavey: My answers in RED These are my opinions, and those of others may vary :cool:

Pretty much exactly what I'd say.

Who makes the upper on #1 BTW (or, more importantly, who makes the barrel?)

JTLIII
02-18-2010, 15:04
The barrel is from the Model 1 kit. No idea who made it. I think I'm just gonna keep the DSA upper. Go ahead with the DD rail, keep my ACS stock, and try out the AAC blackout.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

More opinions still welcome!

ssfeldjager
02-18-2010, 15:14
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=118

JTLIII
02-18-2010, 15:20
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=118

Is this forum not about ARs?

M249SAW
02-18-2010, 17:39
1. I agree with the upper with the lighter AP4 (M4) contour.

2. As far as handguards I use the Magpul MOE polymer handguards. Cant see my self using much if any rail space, if I need to I can attach a short section onto the handguard. Otherwise its nice and light.

3. Either are good, personally I'm a Magpul whore :whistling:

4. As said above better long range accuracy with free float. In a carbine I dont think its as much as an issue as say an SPR.

5. Decide if you want a flash hider or a compensator or both. I have the Vltor VC-1 on the rifle below and it does well at both

6. M16 bolt carrier, the gas key is chrome lined (should be anyways) and if the Shiz ever does hit the fan you can have a spare bolt carrier when you find abandoned USGI M4s.

Only other question I have is what are the twist rates of the 2 barrels? 1:7 will stablize your heavier rounds (ie:SS109s) better (again if its a SHTF rifle it may be used for hunting).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/m249saw/M4FDE.jpg

Nutt51
02-18-2010, 17:41
I think ssfeldjager was just giving you a link to the
ar15 forum where you might find more information
regarding your question.
It is a forum that deals primarily with ar type rifles
and there is some good info. there also.
I visit there myself. Good Luck on your build.

djegators
02-18-2010, 17:54
Have you considered selling both, and starting over? You have a lot more knowledge and experience, and with some research, can build very nice AR from the ground up, rather than upgrading what you already have. Just a thought.

JTLIII
02-18-2010, 18:13
My fiance will **** a brick if I sell both and buy another...they all look the same to her. So selling both isn't really an option. Plus, I just recently bought the DSA upper and I quite like it a lot.

I think the twist rates are both 1:9

I don't ever intend to use it as a hunting rifle, I have a R700 and M1A for that if needed.

ssfeldjager
02-19-2010, 13:37
The Glock Talk web site is primarily about Glock pistols; hence the name. It has various embedded forums dealing with other interests, as well.

Likewise, the AR15.com web site is primarily about AR15's and related weaponry, with embedded forums dealing with other issues.

The link was provided as friendly advice. Take it or leave it. Makes no difference to me. :upeyes:

faawrenchbndr
02-19-2010, 17:28
ssfeldjager provided the link in a helpful nature.
There is Tons of outstanding info there!