Glock or Revolver 4 my Wife? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock or Revolver 4 my Wife?

DanRoid
02-18-2010, 17:29
We just took our CHL/CCW class and applied for our permit. I have just purchased a Glock 23 to carry, but I'd like to hear what other women preferr to carry.

Glock...or Revolver???

Nutt51
02-22-2010, 11:12
My wife has a S&W 640, .38spl. 5 shot, no external hammer.
Depends on the Woman and her proficiency with firearms.
I like a revolver to learn on. My wife only has to draw
her pistol and pull the trigger. She will practice double action
shooting later. With a revolver, if it's loaded and holstered,
you draw and fire.

A semi-auto pistol takes more intensive training and concentration.
More variables to master. Carry one in the chamber or not, safety
operation, learning to rack the slide, slide lock, magazine function
and how to change them out. You have to be safe and use common
sense with all guns, but you have to know your gun and how it
operates and my wife feels more comfortable with a six gun.
Good luck.

Zonny
02-22-2010, 11:23
:agree:

I carry a S&W 442. Quick & simple.

Sierra Bravo
02-22-2010, 11:25
my wife carries a G19 loves it! but keeps trying to "Borrow" my G22:cool:
the 19 is a great gun easy to control / low recoil and not obtrusive in concealed carry mode.

Harleyguy1998
02-22-2010, 22:23
We just took our CHL/CCW class and applied for our permit. I have just purchased a Glock 23 to carry, but I'd like to hear what other women preferr to carry.

Glock...or Revolver???

My GF would be carrying a revolver. Guaranteed to fire on the next pull (unless you have 5 or 6 duds), not affected by limp wristing - will always feed and cycle.

lima
02-22-2010, 23:21

Glock...or Revolver???
What does she want to carry?

I flat out told my husband I would only buy a gun if he let me choose it for myself. Bless his heart he let me do my thing and it turned a simple purchase into a life-long pursuit.

On my 21st birthday I walked into a gun shop with a couple hundred dollars my husband had given me for my birthday and my mind set on a semi-auto.

I had to fight, threaten, kick and scream to get the guys to give me what I wanted. They kept trying to force me into a revolver telling me that an auto is harder to train with, I won't like the recoil, it's too big for me, etc, etc, etc.

I finally had to tell them to sell me the gun I wanted or I'd take my money elsewhere.

I walked out with a 1911 and have continued to carry a variety of guns from revolvers to other autos and back again though I still prefer my beloved .45 acp 1911.

What did she qualify with at the class? What did she think of it? Is she willing to put the time in to get the manual of arms down?

What did she like about what she shot? What does she think could make it better?

What does she want?

Why not let her pick?

glockguy101
02-22-2010, 23:57
What does she want to carry?

I flat out told my husband I would only buy a gun if he let me choose it for myself. Bless his heart he let me do my thing and it turned a simple purchase into a life-long pursuit.

On my 21st birthday I walked into a gun shop with a couple hundred dollars my husband had given me for my birthday and my mind set on a semi-auto.

I had to fight, threaten, kick and scream to get the guys to give me what I wanted. They kept trying to force me into a revolver telling me that an auto is harder to train with, I won't like the recoil, it's too big for me, etc, etc, etc.

I finally had to tell them to sell me the gun I wanted or I'd take my money elsewhere.

I walked out with a 1911 and have continued to carry a variety of guns from revolvers to other autos and back again though I still prefer my beloved .45 acp 1911.

What did she qualify with at the class? What did she think of it? Is she willing to put the time in to get the manual of arms down?

What did she like about what she shot? What does she think could make it better?

What does she want?

Why not let her pick?

holy crap! your here~

im a youtube subscriber btw.

and i agree i took the wife in tonight and let her choose on her first pistol, the ruger mark3

4TS&W
02-23-2010, 00:12
I thought this thread title was a trade offer... I was gonna ask for pics... lol

Mrs.Cicero
02-23-2010, 15:48
I hate revolvers. The grips are all awful. The only revolver I use is a S&W 686 in .357 w/6" barrel, and only for hunting javalina.

For carry, I love the S&W M&P 9mm compact. Adjustable grips - 3 options - ergonomic perfection - Glock should've done this, but since they didn't...

Anyway, I carried an HK USPc for the last 12? years.

And just because I have 2 X chromosomes, doesn't mean I cannot handle mag changes and and clearance drills. I really like having 16 rounds instead of 6. Anyone who carries a semi-auto with no round in the chamber needs their head examined. And anyone who carries ANY firearm without practicing with it regularly is fooling themselves. just my $.02. I could be a lily-livered, liberal, tofu-eating, PETA freak of a soccer mom for all you know.

Mrs. Cicero -who thinks the lady should try a whole bunch of handguns and then pick her own

GreyEclipse
02-24-2010, 01:51
Let her decide. Its important that she pick her own gun.

LilWolfess
02-24-2010, 13:19
Guns are like pants.

Ones that fit and are comfy will be worn every day. Ones that are too tight or don't feel/look right stay in the drawer at home.

I don't let my man pick out pants for me, in the same way I don't let him pick out my guns for me. Suggestions I always appreciate, as long as he respects my mindset. He's really good to help me train with whatever new piece I pick up!

It's best to let her choose. Get things as hands on as you can with her. Let her hold every gun in the store, at several different stores. Then go home and take a break so she doesn't have to choose one "now."

purpledragonlily
02-24-2010, 20:09
I agree with everyone who says let her choose! I love semi autos and have several. My favorites are the Glock 19 and 36, and the Browning Hi Power.

ExxoticOne
02-25-2010, 18:10
I prefer to carry a Glock G36 over anything else I own.

Has your wife been able to "test drive" some revolvers and other non-Glock guns?

MCPreacher
02-25-2010, 18:21
I let my wife make her own mistakes. Her first choice was a Taurus PT111... junk. Broke the first time we fired it.

After firing every handgun I own, she stole my G36 and I only get to see it on alternate weekends

Lew-G17
02-27-2010, 12:59
Find a range that offers rental guns or some friends with collections. Let her handle and shoot anything she is interested in and let her choose. I was able to support my wife's choice this way and she loves the Sig P6 and Beretta PX4 Storm pistols.

Did not like, Kahr, Browning HP, 1911's, Beretta 85, any revolver, Walther PPK, Glock 19,.... you get the point. Choosing a personal firearm takes time and the person needs to pick what works for them.

flieger67
02-27-2010, 13:28

What does she want?

Why not let her pick?

I completely agree, lima. If the OP wants his wife to be comfortable with and enjoy shooting a gun, SHE has to make the choice.

When I got my 19 in January, my wife (who's never fired a handgun) went with me. Fortunately, the employee at the shop who did my purchase paperwork was a woman and also a CCW instructor. She made my wife feel comfortable about getting involved in handguns and strongly recommended getting whatever my wife felt comfortable shooting, regardless of it being semi-auto or a revolver.

My wife took a "basic handgun" class at the range a few weeks later and just bought a Beretta NEOS in order to get more comfortable shooting and handling a gun. Once she's ready, we're going to rent more guns OF HER CHOOSING at the range and see what she likes. While I'd be happy if she chose a Glock, the important thing is for her to be comfortable. If she's not comfortable, she won't practice as much and without practice, she won't be proficient should there ever be a time when she'd need to protect herself.

And to the OP, if your wife is anything like mine, do NOT try to push your opinion or preferences in handguns on your spouse. That will just tick her off...

FrogWithAGlock
02-27-2010, 14:28
I carry a Glock 19, in either a Tommy's Gun pack, or a belly band (sometimes high on my ribs, almost 3 o'clock, sometimes down on my hips, like an IWB, at 1 o'clock).

I am girly enough. But have zero problem carrying with a chambered round, clearing my own jams, racking the slide, or changing magazines. I can shoot equally well with both hands (or single handed), and don't need a man to clean my gun for me.

I have small children, am a soccer mom, and volunteer in my children's school (where I obviously do not carry). I carry (when not at the school) to protect my children, and get us home safely, should anything bad happen. I love my husband DEARLY, but cannot and will not wait for a man to take care of me (besides, one of us has to work, lol).

I like that my glock will go BANG if and when I need it to. Just because I am a girl, doesn't limit my choices. My next gun will be a rifle, a shotgun, or a .45, because those are the three at the top of my list (money is the only thing stopping me). I bought the G19 first, because I'd shot one before and fell in love, and ammo is (WAS) cheap. Not because it's a more girlie caliber, etc.

ExxoticOne
02-27-2010, 15:09
My next gun will be a rifle, a shotgun, or a .45, because those are the three at the top of my list (money is the only thing stopping me).

I'd go with a shotgun next. You already have a carry piece so the .45 can wait. A rifle is fun too. A shotgun (to me) makes for a nice home defense weapon (or Katrina situation). Check out the Mossberg "just in case" model...JIC II...

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28&display=desc

FrogWithAGlock
03-02-2010, 08:48
I'd go with a shotgun next. You already have a carry piece so the .45 can wait. A rifle is fun too. A shotgun (to me) makes for a nice home defense weapon (or Katrina situation). Check out the Mossberg "just in case" model...JIC II...

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28&display=desc

That does look like a nice gun. But I need the rifle for leagues. Borrowed one last time around, and did well, but would like my own before I compete again.

bartonaasi
03-03-2010, 10:01
My wife had wanted a revolver initially. After renting a S&W 38 Spcl she quickly changed her mind. She tried a few autos and wound up with a Springfield XD subcompact .40. She loves it and is very accurate with it.

1baddmax
03-03-2010, 13:56
My lady was torn between either a 642 and a LCP, after trying both, and attempting to conceal both (mind you she's 5'7 110lbs) she decided on the LCP, and after I showed her the LCP raspberry it was case closed on that decision.

mitchshrader
03-03-2010, 15:29
I recommend revolvers for learning how to shoot, specifically for adult novices, not per se females.

If you're going to have minimal training time and budget, a revolver gets you to 'minimum safety standard' sooner than autos.

Autos take more training to achieve a comparable skill level .. but it's several hundred, not thousand, rounds difference. An extra month or two of regular range sessions, enough to function test the gun & ammo throughly, is enough to make up the difference.

The revolver ONLY has the edge when compared over the first few hundred rounds. Past that, not.

I'm still using them after nearly 50 years because I'm fairly well practised with one and need no more skill than I have to serve my purposes. As for what I recommend, it's a hi cap 9mm for anyone that is willing to practice, and the longest feasible barrel. Feasible being a personal choice.

SouthernGal
03-04-2010, 09:40
Mrs. Cicero -who thinks the lady should try a whole bunch of handguns and then pick her own

This.

My dad got my mom a revolver. As soon as she gets to try everything out, I'm looking for her to go out and buy what she REALLY would have bought to begin with.

roundgun
03-05-2010, 06:25
My wife started with a S&W 64 3inch 38spl, shoots it well and is very comfortable with that revolver. Problem-she feels it was too heavy for carry. Next we bought her a 442 lightweight 38spl, recoil a bit too sharp for her, its mine now.:supergrin: After test firing and handling several different semi autos, she settled on a G26 in 9mm, digs that one. Easier for her to reload vs a revolver speed loader. And since playing with her new toy, I bought myself a nice G17. She talked me into it! I have to admit, you can carry a whole lot more 9mm bullets, than an equal size revolver.

Bilbo Bagins
03-05-2010, 08:17
If your going to train and shoot then the glock is the way to go.

If they are not going to be commited to training, and may go to the range just once or twice with the gun, then get a revolver, and a Crimson Trace Grip.

That goes for anyone, man or a woman.

cowboywannabe
03-05-2010, 08:42
why not let her decide?

deathpriest
03-05-2010, 09:31
I bought my GF a 38 revolver for protection. She did not like it and will not use it so, it's mine. After that, she tried my G19 and is her weapond of choice for HD. Peper Spray is in her purse, o so I think. She gets to try rentals for now until she finds what she would use/carry. Her life, she carry, her choice.
Blessings

rboatright
03-05-2010, 09:46
My wife went with me to the range, she went through a bunch of rental guns, and chose a p22 for her first gun, which she paid for. She's put a thousand rounds through it and is now trying to pick a larger caliber gun. She's working through the rentals again to see what she likes.

Honestly, people have to pick their own. (She hates my Glock 19)

Coco-Glock
03-07-2010, 08:13
I began carrying a Ruger LCP and it was really light, comfortable, and easy to conceal, but I now carry a G26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. These holsters are U-G-L-Y but they are pretty comfortable.

Be safe!

DragonLibra
03-08-2010, 16:15
I'd say let any woman who wants a firearm to pick it herself with caveats on getting a reliable name firearm. If you can, go out & rent some guns to try.

I started out with a Sig 228. Now carry a Glock 26 & an LCP as a backup.

I also have a Glock 19 & a new Gen 4 Glock 17.

I shot a Glock 34 in IDPA. Now using a S&W M&P and will use the new G17 as well.

I also have a S&W 642 Lightweight revolver.

My preference for ease to shoot and accuracy are the Glocks & the M&P. I personally think the S&W revolver is not that pleasant.

I know a lot of women shooting in IDPA with a number of semi-autos (and a few revolvers). None of them have a problem racking the slide, clearing a jam, etc., even the women who are petite.

I could've smacked the gun store clerk the other day told me he "liked my grip and I didn't hold a gun like a girl." G'rrrrr.

DragonLibra
03-08-2010, 16:15
I began carrying a Ruger LCP and it was really light, comfortable, and easy to conceal, but I now carry a G26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. These holsters are U-G-L-Y but they are pretty comfortable.

Be safe!

Nice to hear. Been thinking about getting one of those holsters.

Linda
03-13-2010, 09:00
When I got my 19 in January, my wife (who's never fired a handgun) went with me. Fortunately, the employee at the shop who did my purchase paperwork was a woman and also a CCW instructor. She made my wife feel comfortable about getting involved in handguns and strongly recommended getting whatever my wife felt comfortable shooting, regardless of it being semi-auto or a revolver.

Thank you! I suspect that was probably me who waited on you! :supergrin:

What Mrs Cicero and Lima said are 100% right on. The BEST firearm for ANYONE, is the firearm they chose for themselves. As I tell my students.., when you've found "the" gun, you will have that "ah ha moment" that it just feels right. Most generally, unless someone has hand issues, they can handle a semi with no problem. I would prefer to rely my life on the capacity of a semi X's 2 (with a spare mag) over a revolver that holds 5, maybe 6..., that you will never be able to reload in a defensive situation.

I too carry the Smith & Wesson 9mm M&P compact. LOVE IT!!!! I have never shot a gun as well as what I do that firearm!:supergrin:

khicks
03-14-2010, 14:37
I saw a thread similar to this on MGO's site in regards to a man and his wife getting there first CPL guns. Below are my thoughts:

As a long time CPL holder. I of course have some advice:

1) You pick out your gun, your wife picks out hers. You both are different people with different size, shape, and needs, pick a gun out accordingly. Do this by shooting friends' guns, or renting at your local range. The gun should fit YOU.

2) pick out a gun that is comfortable to shoot accurately, repetitively, ONE handed (guns that require 2 hands to shoot accurately in the heat of battle are NOT good choices, as you will likely have only 1 hand available to shoot with, remember Murphy's Law ALWAYS applies),and is of a decent 'effective' caliber. I would also recommend a high as possible capacity within these parameters, as less manipulation of the gun during the fight is better.

3) Be honest in regards to yourself, your size/shape, and routine. If the gun doesn't 'fit' you, you'll leave it at home.

4) Don't get too wrapped up in the 9mm vs. 40 vs. 45 debates. A handgun (not handsgun) is only marginally effective at best, and will require multiple hits to perform its job. If the recoil is too much for you due to its caliber/size that you can't get accurate second or third shots, what's the point? Remember, you are responsible for every bullet you launch out of your handgun, regardless where it goes. Wouldn't it be better if they all went into the threat? For example: I personally find that 45 acp in smaller guns, like the Taurus PT Millennium series, is a more accurate and controllable package than either the 9mm or the 40 S&W.

5) If the guns you and/or wife choose, meet the previous criteria, you and your wife should carry similar guns/caliber. For example, glocks and S&W M&P's and Springfield XDs (not the new M) all use interchangeable magazines. If you are forced into an armed encounter, wouldn't it be comforting to know that you can hand spare magazines back and forth if one of you runs out? It also makes buying spare ammunition, whether for practice, defense, or getting reloading components a little less difficult on the logistics side, if not more economical (IE buying in bulk). Not to forget mentioning, that if one of you is injured, the other will already be intimately familiar with the others gun (remember Murphy?)

6) And finally, I guess, don't be too afraid to ask questions, because the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. It is only your life/safety we are talking about, right?
You've got a good start here, but listen to everything with a grain of salt. Because gun/caliber choices can (and quite often are) a preference based upon subjective feelings, as opposed to hard data.

If I can help in any further fashion, please do not hesitate to ask.

And YOUR thoughts are?

DanRoid
04-21-2010, 15:13
:cool:This is the pistol she picked...a SCCY 9MM

ExxoticOne
04-21-2010, 16:23
Tell her congrats!

rboatright
04-21-2010, 20:45
My wife bought a PPS. One does not buy a gun FOR a woman. One might PAY for a gun for a woman, but she must choose to buy it, and what to buy.

GreyEclipse
04-22-2010, 00:27
My wife bought a PPS. One does not buy a gun FOR a woman. One might PAY for a gun for a woman, but she must choose to buy it, and what to buy.

This.

tacman605
04-22-2010, 00:57
I live and work in the middle east. My wife took the CCW class when I was on leave last year. She carried my Sig P6 and was happy with it for a bit but then said she wanted one of her own so she went shopping. With me on the phone she picked out a Sig 238 with the lets change color finish, she liked it, got extra mags and ammo. I did order holsters for her to try, cant have just one, until she finds one she likes. She had shown interest in a J frame so I bought her a 642 and it arrived at the FFL yesterday and she picked it up. She has since found a shop that makes aluminum grips in different colors for her 238 so she now has pink and blue she changes out on a regular basis.
As was stated before let her pick it out and you pay or let her pick it out and pay to makes no difference. You will be surprised what she will find to her liking while being practical and comfortable to carry.

oldgraygeek
04-23-2010, 09:58
My wife prefers revolvers, but shoots semi-auto quite well (she's 5'5", but she is very good with my 10mm Glocks... not SF-models).
She keeps a 6.5" Taurus 608 in her nightstand. When her permit arrives, she will probably start out carrying our S&W 642... until we upgrade her to a 329 NightGuard. Something about having eight rounds of .357 Magnum just works for her...