Reloading equipment advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading equipment advice

aggiekcc
02-19-2010, 00:00
All,
I started out with a G19 and decided to try the G20. I loved the 10mm and have recently purchased a G29 for a CCW. I also have the Ruger LCP and AR-15 that I built. I have a few questions that I hope you can all help me with.

First, I am starting to reload and my primary concern is equipment. I have read the ABCs of Reloading and have 5 reloading manuals. I have decided that I do not want a progressive press because I want to learn to reload in smaller steps than a progressive would allow.

I decided on the Lee Classic Turret for a press. I want to buy extra turrets for the different calibers and liked what I had heard about the press. Can anyone here give me your opinions or experiences with the press and I would also like some feedback on the use of Titegroup for a 10mm reloading powder. It was available so I bought some along with 180 gr zero bullets. I have brass from Pro-Load and Georgia arms ammo that I have been practicing with.

I hang out reading all of you guys posts and thought I would try to benefit from everyones knowledge. Thanks in advance and I apologize if these questions have already been covered.

HOV
02-19-2010, 09:33
The best advice I have is:

1. I believe a single stage press is good for quality and safety. Because you're going slow and doing one stage at a time anyway, measure every powder charge with a good scale. Don't rely on Lee powder scoops for consistent charges.

2. Be very careful with lead dust, especially in the decapping stage (and the tumbling stage if you clean your brass). Drop spent primers into a container with water, and clean up your work area thoroughly afterwards. Wash your hands and face after you're done.

3. Don't load too many rounds at once until you've settled on a recipie that works well. Try batches of 5-10 rounds for a new recipie.

4. Make dummy rounds to get your dies set up and measure proper headspace.

5. To get more brass, buy some practice FMJ rounds and shoot them, then collect the brass.

Enjoy

tlen
02-20-2010, 00:28
IMHO if you are serious about reloading and can afford it a progressive press is the only way to go. Buying a single stage press would only be a waste of money. You can ALWAYS load one case at a time in a progressive press by walking it through the stages and not 4 or 5 at a time as usual.

why
02-20-2010, 06:43
RCBS Rockchucker. Your great grandchildren will use it. LEARN on this press. There is no other choice in a single stage.

I had nothing but problems with anything except the smallest Lee presses (breakage, weak links in Lees) but I exclusively use Lee dies.

A Dillion of your own choosing after you learn the ins and outs of reloading. Dillon's warranty is unmatched in ANY product. If you burn your own house down and your Dillon with it, they will replace your press.

You absolutley cannot go wrong with the RCBS RC then/or a Dillon.

aggiekcc
02-21-2010, 10:54
Thanks for the opinions guys. I appreciate the information.

carguy1440
02-21-2010, 18:52
I did the exact same thing. Learning on a single stage. I highly recommend it to make sure you learn everything about the process. I would second the rockchucker or maybe a hornady lnl. I have no experience with Lee presses but I have not been impressed with the dies compared to Hornady. Once you get it all down then get yourself a good progressive press just so long as its a dillon or hornady. Don't underestimate the step up in expertise required for a progressive press.

G33
02-21-2010, 20:14
:supergrin::supergrin:If you want to split the middle...a Lee Turret Press works.

Cost effective for starters.
It has extra shell plates so you can leave calibers set-up.
Switch plates to switch caliber die sets.

Boxerglocker
02-21-2010, 20:36
All,
I started out with a G19 and decided to try the G20. I loved the 10mm and have recently purchased a G29 for a CCW. I also have the Ruger LCP and AR-15 that I built. I have a few questions that I hope you can all help me with.

First, I am starting to reload and my primary concern is equipment. I have read the ABCs of Reloading and have 5 reloading manuals. I have decided that I do not want a progressive press because I want to learn to reload in smaller steps than a progressive would allow.

I decided on the Lee Classic Turret for a press. I want to buy extra turrets for the different calibers and liked what I had heard about the press. Can anyone here give me your opinions or experiences with the press and I would also like some feedback on the use of Titegroup for a 10mm reloading powder. It was available so I bought some along with 180 gr zero bullets. I have brass from Pro-Load and Georgia arms ammo that I have been practicing with.

I hang out reading all of you guys posts and thought I would try to benefit from everyones knowledge. Thanks in advance and I apologize if these questions have already been covered.

The LCT is IMO the best starter press for the money bar none... it can be used also as a single stage so, buying a Rockchucker or any other is just a waste of money unless your looking to load precision loads.

I would be very careful using TG for 10mm as it is a very fast powder and has very little volume for the charge range in any caliber much less 10mm cases. I use it for 9mm and .40 minor with a 180g.
You should go over to the reloading section and take a look at the stickies on top.