Help Me Help Wife RE Ankle Holster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Help Wife RE Ankle Holster

jimmeadows
02-19-2010, 06:56
I would be very grateful for the Glock Talk's forum community to offer me some help to pass along to my wife.

I carry a Glock 19, 9mm, 3'o clock position just fine. My wife feels that is just too much gun for her to hide and be comfortable dressing around. She has decided after much thought that she wants to go with a Ruger LCP 380 in an ankle holster.

She is very athletic, trim, medium to tall, and active. What would you all recommend in the way of an ankle holster for her? I have never done much research into ankle holsters, so I am confident that you all can give me some excellent ideas. Because she is extremely detail-oriented, please do not hesitate to give extensive advice, reviews, personal experiences, and pointers. That will be maximally useful.

Many thanks in advance!

kcb
02-19-2010, 10:32
I could never recommend an ankle holster. A friend of my husband's was stabbed while reaching for his gun in his ankle holster.

I just think you need something closer to your hand that requires a quick and minimal move to get to when you need your gun in a hurry.

Just saying.

Zonny
02-19-2010, 17:16
Ankle holsters are for back-up. If you're on the ground, you have a pretty good chance of getting to it. That's not to say that I haven't or wouldn't use one. Just not a good idea for your primary carry unless it's the only option.

LilWolfess
02-20-2010, 00:08
Has she tried shooting the LCP? Have you taken her gun shopping, and had her hold everything in the case two or three times? I've held them a plenty, and just don't feel all that impressed with the LCPs. They are super flat, and ultra concealable, and I do want one for poops and giggles, but it just seems too small for even my tiny paws.

You also need to remember that her carry style will (have to) be, different than yours. For example, 280Z (My favorite brother) carries at 3:30-4oclockish. This would never work for me, and generally doesn't work for most women. We're shaped differently (yes, I know, "no poop Sherlock"), and my style of carry doesn't work for 280Z, or my partner in crime. 1:00 seems to interfere with their manly bits when sitting or crouching (hehe).

Personally, I don't like the idea of ankle holsters for a primary self defense weapon. If she's active a lot, it may get in the way. They also seem to place the gun in a pretty inconvenient place for emergency situations where split seconds count. My ankles are too small in diameter for one to be a feasible carry option for me, so I haven't pursued them at all much past trying one on over my jeans once. Since I have very very very little experience with them, I won't opinionate any further.

I would encourage an inner waistband holster for her. Appendix carry has worked really well for me thus far, even with a fairly fat G26. (Bianchi professional model 100, size 10A, carried at 1 o'clock). My only limitation is shirt choice. The ultra fitted type do show off a pretty distinctive glock print that any blind person could notice. Even wearing the non-fitted shirts, I do feel pretty self concious even after having carried very regularly for over 7 months.

That conspicious feeling is something that *will* go away over time. Have her read up all the Carry Issues threads on this site. Make sure that it is *her* decision as to which gun and carry method is best, not what you think would be best. Do this even if it means making a purchase that either gets returned, or sold soon after to make room for another option.

Make sure she practices drawing/pointing/sighting often, wearing her normal attire.

jimmeadows
02-20-2010, 10:26
Has she tried shooting the LCP? Have you taken her gun shopping, and had her hold everything in the case two or three times? I've held them a plenty, and just don't feel all that impressed with the LCPs. They are super flat, and ultra concealable, and I do want one for poops and giggles, but it just seems too small for even my tiny paws.

You also need to remember that her carry style will (have to) be, different than yours. For example, 280Z (My favorite brother) carries at 3:30-4oclockish. This would never work for me, and generally doesn't work for most women. We're shaped differently (yes, I know, "no poop Sherlock"), and my style of carry doesn't work for 280Z, or my partner in crime. 1:00 seems to interfere with their manly bits when sitting or crouching (hehe).

Personally, I don't like the idea of ankle holsters for a primary self defense weapon. If she's active a lot, it may get in the way. They also seem to place the gun in a pretty inconvenient place for emergency situations where split seconds count. My ankles are too small in diameter for one to be a feasible carry option for me, so I haven't pursued them at all much past trying one on over my jeans once. Since I have very very very little experience with them, I won't opinionate any further.

I would encourage an inner waistband holster for her. Appendix carry has worked really well for me thus far, even with a fairly fat G26. (Bianchi professional model 100, size 10A, carried at 1 o'clock). My only limitation is shirt choice. The ultra fitted type do show off a pretty distinctive glock print that any blind person could notice. Even wearing the non-fitted shirts, I do feel pretty self concious even after having carried very regularly for over 7 months.

That conspicious feeling is something that *will* go away over time. Have her read up all the Carry Issues threads on this site. Make sure that it is *her* decision as to which gun and carry method is best, not what you think would be best. Do this even if it means making a purchase that either gets returned, or sold soon after to make room for another option.

Make sure she practices drawing/pointing/sighting often, wearing her normal attire.
Been there, done that. LilWolfess, I'm afraid she has her mind made up. And yes, we have shot, shopped, and held numerous guns. Again, her mind is made up.

Bottom line for me (and for her): Although it is not ideal, I would rather my wife CC an LCP on her ankle than to have no gun at all. And yes, she does understand that this arrangement puts her in a different situation tactically compared to an OWB or IWB carry style.

So, with all that said, as much as I appreciate your great insights and advice (which I basically agree with too by the way), I am just looking for anyone in the community that has specific recommendations for the ankle holster to use with the Ruger LCP 380.

But again, thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful response. All points well taken . . . sadly, just not actionable.

LilWolfess
02-20-2010, 13:37
Not a problem, being one myself, I do understand (a little too well even) that we wimmins can be more stubborn and immoveable than really big rocks.

I am not too familiar with the ankle holsters. The local stores that sell shooting gear only stock Uncle Mikes brand ankle holsters, and they look pretty bulky.

A quick search of GT showed some pretty rave reviews for Alessi Ankle holsters. But they are spendy!! http://shop.alessigunholsters.com/Ankle-Holster

While I couldn't find the exact model for the Ruger .380, they did have some contact info if you wanted to pursue this brand.

Lew-G17
02-27-2010, 13:04
Check out the Fobus brand ankle holster. It has great padding and is very comfortable. Also not overly expensive if it does not work out.