Safety stuck on Safe...HELP! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Safety stuck on Safe...HELP!

SIERRA SIX
02-19-2010, 09:54
Hey all,

I have been having this problem with my Romanian variant for a while now. It has become such a problem, that I often leave the gun off safe, while the magazines and ammo are locked away elsewhere. When I engage the safety, it gets stuck. The only way I can disengage it is by removing the dust cover and pushing it to the side and then down. Is there any decent fix for this? PLEASE HELP!

SIERRA SIX
02-20-2010, 00:12
BTT...25 views and no miracle cures?

GIockGuy24
02-20-2010, 00:23
What receiver is it? Is the receiver made in Romania or is the receiver American-made? It might be catching on the disconnector but it may be hanging on the receiver. I usually leave my safety in the off position. You can remove the top cover, rotate the safety lever up vertical, and bend it out SLIGHTLY. Careful not to bend it too much and not to break it.

You should have the hammer cocked before moving the safety on and off.

space_weazel
02-20-2010, 01:37
Are you sure it's not just tight? try bending it out a little like GIockGuy suggested and report back.

SIERRA SIX
02-20-2010, 09:39
What receiver is it? Is the receiver made in Romania or is the receiver American-made? It might be catching on the disconnector but it may be hanging on the receiver. I usually leave my safety in the off position. You can remove the top cover, rotate the safety lever up vertical, and bend it out SLIGHTLY. Careful not to bend it too much and not to break it.

You should have the hammer cocked before moving the safety on and off.

It is definitely hanging up on the receiver. its really annoying too, might I add...

Ronaldo
02-20-2010, 10:25
Hanging on the receiver is a common trait. Simplest cure is judicious bending of the safety arm outwards to relieve some of the spring tension. This makes it easier to pop downwards. Had the same issue on one of my WASR's and cured with a little bit of bending. Not a biggie.

If you are more ambitious you can use a dremel tool to cut a nice big detent just before the top of the receiver. This works nicely too!

Ronaldo

SIERRA SIX
02-20-2010, 13:31
Hanging on the receiver is a common trait. Simplest cure is judicious bending of the safety arm outwards to relieve come of the spring tension. This makes it easier to pop downwards. Had the same issue on one of my WASR's and cured with a little bit of bending. Not a biggie.

If you are more ambitious you can use a dremel tool to cut a nice big detent just before the top of the receiver. This works nicely too!

Ronaldo

True, while im at it, I should probably look into a bolt-hold-open notch...

How many times should I attempt to push it out, and with how much pressure?

GIockGuy24
02-22-2010, 00:21
Do push on it too much. If it won't stand straight up, then just raise above the receiver edge with the top cover removed. Enough to push out on it a bit. Does it move differently with the hammer cocked and uncocked? My hard AK safeties usually just remain off and down. Can't cock it or check the chamber with the safety on.

Aceman
02-22-2010, 08:34
The bend out (gently) is the correct answer. And that Sierra - is what an AK is all about!!!

Revel in this moment! You are looking at this as "What a piece of junk" But you should be thinking "My god - how easy was that to fix!" You have repaired a firearm yourself.

That dremel move will work too - but a lot of hassle.

And as for the safety issue; Remember this is a COMBAT DESIGNED WEAPON. The CORRECT MANNER to use it is as such:

Threat situation (SHTF, War, Zombies, whatever...)
#1 Load and rack
IF TRAVEL NECESSARY - safety on; Safety off once the field of battle has been reached
#2 Dispatch threat
#3 When reasonably safe, remove mag, eject shell from chamber.

Otherwise - keep your finger off of the trigger.

All this safety on/off crap is for scared little girls. It is a firearm. IT IS NOT SAFE EVER IF POINTED AT SOMEONE OR THE FINGER IS ON THE TRIGGER.

Oh - by the way. It will work without the reciever cover on if you want to watch. I REALLY do not recommend that, but you might just see the problem happen if it's internal.

SIERRA SIX
02-22-2010, 20:48
The bend out (gently) is the correct answer. And that Sierra - is what an AK is all about!!!

Revel in this moment! You are looking at this as "What a piece of junk" But you should be thinking "My god - how easy was that to fix!" You have repaired a firearm yourself.

That dremel move will work too - but a lot of hassle.

And as for the safety issue; Remember this is a COMBAT DESIGNED WEAPON. The CORRECT MANNER to use it is as such:

Threat situation (SHTF, War, Zombies, whatever...)
#1 Load and rack
IF TRAVEL NECESSARY - safety on; Safety off once the field of battle has been reached
#2 Dispatch threat
#3 When reasonably safe, remove mag, eject shell from chamber.

Otherwise - keep your finger off of the trigger.

All this safety on/off crap is for scared little girls. It is a firearm. IT IS NOT SAFE EVER IF POINTED AT SOMEONE OR THE FINGER IS ON THE TRIGGER.

Oh - by the way. It will work without the reciever cover on if you want to watch. I REALLY do not recommend that, but you might just see the problem happen if it's internal.

My worry is simply that if the safety engages by being nudged, and i need it to be OFF, ill have a problem.
I am not new to firearms, their operation, or firearm safety. I am just bothered with a problem I have yet to be able to fix

toshbar
02-22-2010, 21:48
What's wrong with not having the cover on? I function check my AKs every time the cover comes off before it gets put back on. It is possible to fire them with the cover off too, although I haven't.

Under8ted
02-26-2010, 23:38
Hoot: [holding up his index finger] Well, this is my safety, sir. - "Blackhawk Down"