shotgun newbie question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : shotgun newbie question

Neal40
02-19-2010, 12:09
Just bought a remington 870 express (wood stock)with the rifled barrel and 20 standard barrel. It was alittle abused but cleaned up nicely. I was able to purchase plastic buttstock(remington) and plastic foregrip(unknown but shorter than stock). How do I remove the wood foregrip and replace it with the plastic one? :dunno: Any insight you guys provide is greatly appriciated. Also the wood stock n grip I am going to make beautiful again.

mixflip
02-19-2010, 12:33
Just bought a remington 870 express (wood stock)with the rifled barrel and 20 standard barrel. It was alittle abused but cleaned up nicely. I was able to purchase plastic buttstock(remington) and plastic foregrip(unknown but shorter than stock). How do I remove the wood foregrip and replace it with the plastic one? :dunno: Any insight you guys provide is greatly appriciated. Also the wood stock n grip I am going to make beautiful again.

I am not 100% sure on a Remington but on my Mossberg, after completely removing the forearm from the gun, you just unscrew the end cap with a long thin screwdriver. I lay the screwdriver sideways in the 2 notches and use it like a spanner wrench I guess? I dont really know how to explain it better?

Once the end cap is off, you just slide out the inner tube from the plastic or wood forearm.

aippi
02-19-2010, 12:41
You will need a forend wrench to remove the forend but can use the slide that the bolt sits on if you have to. You will find the slide fits right in to the knotches on the mag tube nut and will work in a pinch. However, if you own a shotgun then you should own a forend wrench as you may want to pull the forend if the weapon ever gets wet or atleast once every couple years to oil the forend tube assembly to protect it against rust.

Neal40
02-19-2010, 13:08
Thanks I'll get the correct wrench then. Knew there was somthing to it.