Mossberg 590A1 NFA 14'' barrel. What choke should I get [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590A1 NFA 14'' barrel. What choke should I get

alfred10
02-19-2010, 19:08
Improved cylinder vs modified choke? I want one for self defense. What is the differences in chokes out a 14'' barrel. Plan to use 3inch and 2/34 magnum 000,00,0 no1-4 buck shot, slugs, etc. Maybe will shoot bird shot sometimes. Whats the best for a tight pattern? How far can I accuretly use one of these 14'' barrels?

David Armstrong
02-19-2010, 19:46
There is no realistic tactical reason to use 3" or magnum loads for defense, particularly in shorter tubes. Personally I like my fighting shotguns with open cylinder, particularly if I'm going to be shooting slugs.

alfred10
02-19-2010, 20:28
Whats the difference between patterns these? Can you shoot slugs in the tighter chokes?

GAFinch
02-19-2010, 20:41
Flight control wad

Minnow
02-20-2010, 01:39
You could always have the barrel threaded for Accu-chokes, then you could experiment and put whatever you wanted in.

David Armstrong
02-20-2010, 12:11
Whats the difference between patterns these? Can you shoot slugs in the tighter chokes?
Patterns will vary a lot on a number of factors, not just the choke. You can shoot slugs through some chokes, some it is not such a good idea. I personally wouldn't want to shoot a slug through a modified choke unless it was an emergency.

Just out of curiosity, why all this concern about patterns and such if going with the 14" tube?

lawndart98
02-20-2010, 17:48
I don't know if there is such a thing as a tight pattern out of a barrel that short. I'd get her drilled out for tubes and see which one it likes. Full, maybe?

Reswob
02-20-2010, 21:53
A 14"? Cylinder bore.

mitchshrader
02-20-2010, 22:12
you don't really want to discuss 14" barrels with game wardens. tedious and embarassing.

Reswob
02-20-2010, 22:14
Haha. The game wardens here would probably ask if they could take a few shots. I could legally hunt with a fully-loaded 590, or a AK with a drum mag. :-D

Slacker
02-21-2010, 09:11
Even with the 14" barrel you wont get much spread within self defense distance. I see no need to use a choke. The 14" barrel improves the maneuverability of the weapon so unless you live in a large mansion with huge rooms you should be fine using 2 3/4" #4 buck out of your cylinder bore barrel.

method
02-21-2010, 18:16
Patterns will vary a lot on a number of factors, not just the choke. You can shoot slugs through some chokes, some it is not such a good idea. I personally wouldn't want to shoot a slug through a modified choke unless it was an emergency.

Just out of curiosity, why all this concern about patterns and such if going with the 14" tube?

Slugs go through a modified choke just fine, except for very hard (and obscure) slugs like a Dixie.

David Armstrong
02-22-2010, 10:01
Slugs go through a modified choke just fine,
SOME slugs go through SOME modified chokes just fine. SOME don't.

method
02-22-2010, 18:01
SOME slugs go through SOME modified chokes just fine. SOME don't.

Hence the second part of my statement. Any Foster or Brenneke type slugs found at Walmart, Dick's, Big 5, or the local gun shop will safely pass through anything but the tightest extra full chokes. You really have to look for the type of slugs that absolutely require an open choke.

David Armstrong
02-23-2010, 11:22
Any Foster or Brenneke type slugs found at Walmart, Dick's, Big 5, or the local gun shop will safely pass through anything but the tightest extra full chokes.
They will usually pass through. How safely they will do so is up for grabs. I've seen way too many gun/choke/slug combos fail to recommend anything beyond IC.

MTPD
02-23-2010, 14:00
Improved cylinder vs modified choke? I want one for self defense. What is the differences in chokes out a 14'' barrel. Plan to use 3inch and 2/34 magnum 000,00,0 no1-4 buck shot, slugs, etc. Maybe will shoot bird shot sometimes. Whats the best for a tight pattern? How far can I accuretly use one of these 14'' barrels?

First, I agree with a previous poster that 2 3/4" full-power Buckshot shells are sufficient for defense, and kick way less.

Second, as long as slugs are not going to be used, I've found through actual field testing that FULL CHOKE always gives the tightest pattern with both buckshot and birdshot.

If slugs are anticipated, CYLINDER BORE is necessary to keep the choke from being battered. Luckily,full-power Federal Tactical 9 pellet OO Buckshot (with their special wad control) patterns almost as well out of a cylinder bore as out of a full choke. (This is by far the best patterning OOB load I've ever tested!)

If you are going to have a screw-in choke installed, it doesn't cost much more to get all 3 sizes and field test them yourself (IC, M, F.).

Lastly, I've found (if all else is equal) that bigger size buckshot always patterns tighter than smaller sizes. Tightest patterns (that I've actually tested) in descending order are OOO, OO, 4.

As for effective range, it varies with the loads. For example, my CYLINDER BORE 18" with the special full-power Federal OOB load mentioned above will keep 1/2 the load on an IPSC target at 50 yards. But........with other brands my CYLINDER BORE is only that effective out to 20-30 yards.

On the other hand, with my FULL-CHOKE 18" 12ga, I can do almost as well at 50y with Winchester SuperX 2 3/4" OOOB. That combo will usually keep 1/2 the load on targert at that range, and penetrates deepest.

Bottom line: Shotguns take a lot of experimenting to determine exactly what each will do with what load. For sure I would use only OO & OOO Buck. In my testing, I found #4 buck spreads too fast and doesn't penetrate as well. :supergrin:

Glockdude1
02-23-2010, 14:04
What 14" barrel has ever been made with a choke? All I have ever fired were cylinder bore.

:cool:

MTPD
02-23-2010, 14:21
What 14" barrel has ever been made with a choke? All I have ever fired were cylinder bore.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, you've led a deprived life! Screw-in chokes can be installed in any length shotgun barrel by a gunsmith.

MTPD
02-23-2010, 14:29
I should also add that now that I live part of the year in an RV park where 100's of thin-sided RV's are parked 15' apart, I load my shotgun differently. Because of the obvious danger to innoceents, I now load three #3 size birdshot shells, followed by 2 OOB. In no other cases do I do this, but here I have to consider the neighbors and thin walls!

Glockdude1
02-23-2010, 16:54
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, you've led a deprived life! Screw-in chokes can be installed in any length shotgun barrel by a gunsmith.

True, a good gunsmith can INSTALL a choke.

What 14" barrel comes from the factory with a choke set up?

Line Rider
02-23-2010, 20:05
Bore?? Wide open. It's a combat shotgun 15 yards or less with a 14'' barrel. We have serveral of them at my department.

Fed Five Oh
02-26-2010, 21:35
True, a good gunsmith can INSTALL a choke.

What 14" barrel comes from the factory with a choke set up?

:cool:We have factory Remington 870, 14" barrels with rifle sights on our shotguns. Some are factory marked modified, some are factory marked improved cylinder. None of ours have screw in choke tubes from the factory, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't exist.

BTW, I have compared both the mod and ic out to 25 yds using federal flight control wad. Can't tell the difference in patterns between the two. Both patterns are incrediblly tight.

There is an old thread here somewhere where I posted photos of the Remington factory barrel patterns compared to the much bally-hooed vang comp barrels, both using flight control wad. It pissed off alot of vang comp kool-aid drinkers.

s&w357
03-03-2010, 02:01
First of all, I'm curious about your situation. Have you had the Mossy cut down to 14" or is it factory? I have seen a couple of agencies with 14" tube that had cylinder bore, but they were few and far between. The patterns on this guns at 15 to 25 yards just wasn't there. If your gun is threaded for screw in chokes you can always try improved cylinder and modified, however, I personally have modified in all my defense shotguns and have changed all of my departments to modified by soldering new chokes in.

I have found after watching shooters with different chokes during my classes that the modified is definatley the way to go on the shorter barrels, and what I would prefer on any shotgun no matter the barrel length. If you go to the Remington LE site you will see that their base 14" guns have modified chokes while the 18" have improved cylinder.

Also, you will be fine shooting the typical 1oz slug through a modified choke, I would only precaution you that if you do have screw in chokes and are shooting alot of round to make sure the choke is tight after shooting several rounds. (This applies no matter which choke you go with) I have seen students who didn't occasionally check for tightness blow the choke out of the barrel due to the slug catching on the lip of the choke tube because it wasn't threaded all the way into the barrel.

Hope this helps.