ACOG Reticle types. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ACOG Reticle types.

NeverMore1701
02-19-2010, 23:18
Anyone have a link to side-by-side comparison pics of all the different ACOG reticles?

Wild Gene
02-20-2010, 01:16
You can do that on the trijicon web site. Also, search here for ACOG and read the thread USMC03 does on them. It gives his thoughts on reticles and colors. (I like the red circle)

Go to Trijicon.com, then products, then ACOG, then view brochure.

WGH

USMC03
02-20-2010, 05:45
Several (not all) are shown here:

http://www.03designgroup.com/photo/trijicon-acog-considerations/icon-trijicon-acog-considerations-new.jpg
03designgroup | Trijicon ACOG Considerations http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png (http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/trijicon-acog-considerations)

HomeLandPatriot
02-20-2010, 11:56
great article USMC03. After reading and reviewing, the ta31 and ta11 are my two choices, with a lean towards the ta11. I just need to decide the payoff of overall size; the bigger ta11 with more eye relief or the small ta31 with shorter eye relief.

I must say though that the ta11J with the cross hairs and .223 drop comp. is extremely appealing. I've never been a fan of doughnuts and I can't quite figure out the chevron.

Good info throughout OP.

Wild Gene
02-20-2010, 12:31
great article USMC03.
I must say though that the ta11J with the cross hairs and .223 drop comp. is extremely appealing. I've never been a fan of doughnuts and I can't quite figure out the chevron.

The cross hair models, at least in the TA11, are non BAC.

BAC is part of what makes these sights so good, if you want something for 3-gun, etc... (IMHO)

Gene

HomeLandPatriot
02-20-2010, 13:35
Could you explain bac?

lawman800
02-20-2010, 16:20
Blood Alcohol Content?

HomeLandPatriot
02-20-2010, 16:25
From what I gather its the ability to use the scope with both eyes open. Bac states that when you are acquiring your target, your brain will automatically use your non magnified eye to track the target, but once you stop moving yo take the shot, your brain moves back to the magnified eye because it becomes a clearer picture. Supposedly bac is the process the acog uses to supplement this process.

All that sounds good and fine, but I don't understand what exactly the scope does for this to be so valuable, nor am I totally conviced this happens in real life, but I have zero experience with it, so that's why I'm asking on clarification.

PhiDeltChicoTCU
02-20-2010, 16:38
Could you explain bac?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vFpvDHuhM

HomeLandPatriot
02-20-2010, 21:12
Alright, looks like the ta11H might take the cake.

Can someone just explain the use in the dots on either side of the reticle?

Onmilo
02-20-2010, 23:09
Go to the Trijicon website, you can compare several scopes and reticles at one time on their site.
http://www.trijicon.com/Trijicon.cfm?CFID=3411542&CFTOKEN=69943585

AK_Stick
02-21-2010, 01:45
The cross hair models, at least in the TA11, are non BAC.

BAC is part of what makes these sights so good, if you want something for 3-gun, etc... (IMHO)

Gene

Not exactly true.

BAC is a method of use, not a scope option.

You can shoot with the cross hair models, they're just not built to accentuate the BAC like the inverted chevron reticles.

JBJ16
02-21-2010, 06:44
Blood Alcohol Content?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

after too much drinking, you could be cross-eyed while doing the BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept)

DougW
02-21-2010, 09:51
I have a TA31F on one of my AR's, my son has the TA01NSN on his. Of the two, we can both shoot much better with the TA01NSN with the cross hairs at longer ranges. Up close, it is a toss up. The TA31F gets a "bit busy" when shooting a small target at around 300+ yards. I tried the TA31F in 2 3-Gun Matches, but I have gone back to the 1.5X6 variable, as the TA31F was more difficult for me to use (old eyes). If I had it to do over I would go with the TA01NSN myself.

HomeLandPatriot
02-21-2010, 13:40
So after thinking, how do the bullet drop compensators show up on a rifle with a FSP? does the FSP block the view of the compensator?

glock22357
02-21-2010, 17:18
The TA31CH is their 4x32, dual illumination, crosshair reticle (with bullet drop compensator), BAC model. This is what I'm fixin' to get.

It's the TA31F but with a chross hair/bullet drop compensator reticle.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=807&back_row=4&categoryID=3

HomeLandPatriot
02-21-2010, 17:23
ah ha! This may be my ticket...

Wild Gene
02-21-2010, 20:36
Not exactly true.

You can shoot with the cross hair models, they're just not built to accentuate the BAC like the inverted chevron reticles.

I'm just going off of what Trijicon says about their own product, from their own website looking at the specifications for the model he was talking about. You can argue technicalities with them.

WG

AK_Stick
02-22-2010, 00:14
I'm not arguing your source, I just said you're wrong. Thats all.

Andrewsky
02-22-2010, 00:29
Arguing with AK_Stick is much like walking through a brick wall.

glock22357
02-22-2010, 04:09
Not exactly true.

With Trijicon, the models that have dual illumination, and therefore brighter reticles, are considered their BAC models. And the TA31CH is their cross hair model that they list as BAC compatable.

Based on my reading, the brighter reticles enhance the BAC optical aiming technique. I'd love to hear a first-hand account of anyone that has tried to use the BAC with either a non-BAC ACOG, or any other traditional type magnified optic.

I think I'm going to call around to local shops and find one that has an ACOG BAC model and see if I can check it out for myself. Written descriptions and photos on the internet obviously can't properly explain or represent the BAC for those that haven't experienced it first hand. The video on Trijicon's website is good, but I'd like to see it for myself.
http://www.trijicon.com/aiming.cfm Bottom of the page.

Wild Gene
02-22-2010, 10:20
I'm not arguing your source, I just said you're wrong. Thats all.

I am not wrong. You are. Grow a set and admit it.

KalashniKEV
02-22-2010, 10:32
So after thinking, how do the bullet drop compensators show up on a rifle with a FSP? does the FSP block the view of the compensator?

It disappears due to the Magic of Jesus.

Really!!!!!!

:cool:

glock22357
02-22-2010, 13:04
I went to a gun shop near me, and checked out a TA31TRD, which basically appears to be a TA31CH with the Doctor Optic red dot attatched to it. The person at the store was nice enough to mount it to a flat top AR for me so I could check it out.

At first, while I was impressed with the optical clarity and the reticle, the field of view didn't seem that great. While I was checking out that particular unit, the store employee brought out another 4x32 BAC ACOG and I held it closer to my eyes...and SHAZAM!!!

I picked the rifle that had the TA31TRD back up, and collapsed the stock one notch, and I had the correct eye relief. The best way to describe it (the BAC, using both eyes) is that while using the optic with both eyes open, the body of the ACOG almost disappears, until it is just a thin round/black circle. Inside that circle is a small, brightly lit cross-hair reticle with drop compensator, in 4x magnification. It's like there is a cyborg insert in your eyes that gives you a circle of magnification in your normal field of vision.

Impressions;

-The clarity of the glass was impressive, and that's why they cost so much.
-The reticle was smaller than I anticipated, which really serves to make target aquisition easy. It wasn't difficult to see (it's very brightly lit), just smaller than I expected.
-Swinging the rifle around inside the shop (low lighting conditions), even close range shooting would seem to be easy. If you need to shoot something under duress that's really close, it's easy since both of your eyes are open. Once the target fills the ACOG magnified circle, pull the trigger. Fast and easy.

I WILL be buying a TA31CH as soon as money allows, it is an amazing optic.

AK_Stick
02-22-2010, 20:20
I am not wrong. You are. Grow a set and admit it.

:rofl:

OK hotshot.

glock22357
02-23-2010, 07:43
:rofl:

OK hotshot.

You most definitely were wrong. The BAC ACOGs are different, it is a scope option. Each ACOG model lists wether they are a BAC model or not. If you choose to not accept that, you're missing an oportunity to learn.

BAC is both an ACOG option and an aiming technique. The BAC ACOGs have dual illumination that enhance the effect of the BAC, like you already stated, so I'm confused as to your stating that Wild Gene was wrong.

Also, their TA31CH is their cross-hair/BAC model. While a person can use the BAC with a non-BAC ACOG (or other scope?), the effect is better with the dual illumination.

AK_Stick
02-23-2010, 09:17
He's wrong, for the same reason you are. You're not understanding the BAC, or the fact that the BAC is not something a scope has or does not. Its not an option you can order from a factory.

BAC is a method of using a sight.

Now, some of them, like the inverted chevrons, and horseshoe reticles and such, are built to accentuate the BAC. And shooting with them is more natural. However you can still shoot with the cross hair models using BAC. Just like you shoot with a regular scope down on 1x, with both eyes open using the same technique. Just like shooting with an Aimpoint or Eotech.

The FC-2 reticule from Nightforce, and the SPR reticule from Leupold, as well as the post and triangle reticule from Trijicon are all "BAC" sights.

Rusty Shackleford
02-23-2010, 10:15
Mine's bigger. :upeyes: