Thoughts and Questions About My First AR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Questions About My First AR

zagzig
02-19-2010, 23:33
I'm ready to buy/build my first AR15. A few days ago I thought I had settled on doing a budget build with a del-ton kit and posted about it here. After doing more reading I came to the conclusion that while I'm sure I would enjoy it, I would always have wished I went BCM, LMT or even Colt. I originally wanted to keep the cost under $700, but I've increased my budget to under $1000 after digging through the couch for loose change and working nights as a gigilo. This will be a range toy as well as HD/SHTF gun. Below I've put together a list of what I want to get along with some question on the stuff I'm unsure of.

BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group - $425. Should I spend the extra $100 for the BCM BFH (cold hammer forged)?

BCM BCG - $139. I can get an LMT BCG locally for $139. Should I?

I'm thinking about getting the BCM M4 Milspec Stock Kit - (GEN 2) for $83. Is there a better option in that price range? I understand that heavier buffers can reduce recoil, but to heavy of a buffer can cause malfunctions. Is the standard buffer that comes with it okay or would it be better to get a heavier buffer?

The mid-length handguards from RRA that BCM sells are not getting good reviews on their site. I'd get the Magpul MOE handguards, but it doesn't seem they make them for a middie. Any suggestions on where to get a good set of cheap handguards? I'm thinking I'll upgrade to a railed handguard down the road.

I'm leaning towards a Mega or Stag lower right now. It seems as long as I get any of the more popular lowers I'll be fine.

I'm not sure which LPK I'll get (BCM is OOS on all of the ones they sell). It seems most are happy with RRA, Stag or DPMS. Thoughts? Where to get them cheap?

Basic BCM charging handle for $23.

I want to go ahead and get a folding rear BUIS so when I add optics later I'll be able to keep it. Who has the best bang for the buck.

Aside from mags and ammo, what am I missing?

thisaway
02-20-2010, 22:14
BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group - $425. Should I spend the extra $100 for the BCM BFH (cold hammer forged)?

The standard barrel will be just fine for your uses.

BCM BCG - $139. I can get an LMT BCG locally for $139. Should I?

Nothing wrong with eiter brand, but the LMT will save you shipping costs.

I'm thinking about getting the BCM M4 Milspec Stock Kit - (GEN 2) for $83. Is there a better option in that price range?

Not really, that's a good deal for a complete stock kit.

I understand that heavier buffers can reduce recoil, but to heavy of a buffer can cause malfunctions. Is the standard buffer that comes with it okay or would it be better to get a heavier buffer?

The BCM M4 kit will come with a heavy (H1) buffer, and will be fine.

The mid-length handguards from RRA that BCM sells are not getting good reviews on their site. I'd get the Magpul MOE handguards, but it doesn't seem they make them for a middie. Any suggestions on where to get a good set of cheap handguards? I'm thinking I'll upgrade to a railed handguard down the road.

Sorry, I can't help much here, except to suggest you get a railed handguard now so you don't have to worry about the plastic jobbers.

I'm leaning towards a Mega or Stag lower right now. It seems as long as I get any of the more popular lowers I'll be fine.

STAG

I'm not sure which LPK I'll get (BCM is OOS on all of the ones they sell). It seems most are happy with RRA, Stag or DPMS. Thoughts?

STAG

Where to get them cheap?

Try the "for sale" forums on m4carbine.net or ar15.com...sometimes you can find them cheap.

Basic BCM charging handle for $23.

I want to go ahead and get a folding rear BUIS so when I add optics later I'll be able to keep it. Who has the best bang for the buck.

Troy, YHM, MI, MagPul.

Aside from mags and ammo, what am I missing?

You might want a sling and a different grip than the standard A2-style.

Good luck! :cool:

Daps
02-20-2010, 22:52
I ordered a Troy folding rear BUIS for $108 shipped today for my BCM upper that should be here some wed or thur

zagzig
02-21-2010, 00:37
Thanks for the replies. If I can squeeze a railed handguard into the mix I certainly will.

If I buy the LMT BCG I will have to pay tax on it. Is the BCM BCG as good as the LMT BCG? If so, it will save me a few buck buying the BCM.

I'll probably stick with the A2 grip for now and upgrade it down the road.

The Troy and MI flip up BUIS seem nice. The Magpul MBUS is so affordable though. I'm not sure I like the idea of having a plastic sight, but their plastic mags are awesome from what I've read. Anyone have the MBUS and think highly of it?

I hope I have this all sorted by Monday so I can start ordering everything. Then the torturous wait for the man in brown begins.