1911 ambi thumb safety issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 ambi thumb safety issue

RWBlue
02-20-2010, 01:47
My 1911 ambi thumb safety keeps coming apart.

How do you solve this issue?

CMG
02-20-2010, 04:17
What pistol, what style ambi?

Is the right side retained by a long sear pin or the grip?

txleapd
02-20-2010, 09:08

Buy one in good working condition from a quality manufacturer.

MacG22
02-20-2010, 10:41
Is it a Taurus PT1911? They have this problem in large numbers. You'll need a whole new part and a competent smith. It's not that you cannot do it on your own, but some of the parts around it can be out of tolerance as well and you want someone who can see it and solve it if it is.

Rinspeed
02-20-2010, 16:02
Unless you're a lefty just get rid of it for a single sided safety.

krunchnik
02-20-2010, 16:18
+1 on that idea,my Kimber TLE/RL II had a ambi on it and installed a single left side safety,much better working now.

RWBlue
02-20-2010, 16:52
It is a Colt Goldcup. The part is Wilson.

I was teaching a lefty which is why this subject came up.

J3Colt
02-20-2010, 19:43
I have one on my Colt Commander (Wilson Tactical Ambi) and it's rock solid and will not come apart under normal use.

Somebody needs to produce an ambi for 1911s like the one HK uses on the USPs. It's a solid shaft all the way through the gun and extends (not cut in half) outside the frame and allows the lever to slide onto it from the right side of the pistol and is pinned in place.

jeremy stanke
02-20-2010, 19:54
Is it a Taurus PT1911? They have this problem in large numbers. You'll need a whole new GUN.

i fixed it for you :rofl:

RWBlue
02-20-2010, 20:14
Somebody needs to produce an ambi for 1911s like the one HK uses on the USPs. It's a solid shaft all the way through the gun and extends (not cut in half) outside the frame and allows the lever to slide onto it from the right side of the pistol and is pinned in place.

That is what I am thinking.
I would buy a straight shaft with a screw on the end.

This one keeps coming apart. If the lefty doesn't want to buy my 1911 and if I can not buy a better designed part, I am think I will buy a standard extended, and ditch the ambi.

doolyd
02-21-2010, 10:45

Oh my GOD two of the best names in the 1911 world....BAC you better get over here! :wow:

zdragon23c
02-21-2010, 10:57
new Wilson ambi safety to the rescue...
"Keep in mind that part is the most expensive ambi safety on the market for a reason-The thumbpieces are precision machined from a block of steel and also 3D machine radiused. The only fitting required is to fit the safety pad (5 minutes) and polishing the detent-everything else is done for you. It is one of the best parts we or anyone in the industry makes, IMO from a design, performance and cosmetic standard. It is not an inexpensive part-but we think it is the best ambi-safety ever developed and most of our customers with them on guns agree. It is rock solid!"

http://i41.tinypic.com/5e91ud.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ywe9op.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2zyboxt.jpg

RWBlue
02-21-2010, 13:24
new Wilson ambi safety to the rescue...
"Keep in mind that part is the most expensive ambi safety on the market for a reason-The thumbpieces are precision machined from a block of steel and also 3D machine radiused. The only fitting required is to fit the safety pad (5 minutes) and polishing the detent-everything else is done for you. It is one of the best parts we or anyone in the industry makes, IMO from a design, performance and cosmetic standard. It is not an inexpensive part-but we think it is the best ambi-safety ever developed and most of our customers with them on guns agree. It is rock solid!"

http://i41.tinypic.com/5e91ud.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ywe9op.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2zyboxt.jpg

Mine is an old style and doesn't look like that.
It was a 0 fit (well I cut a little off the rubber grip, but ...).
Mine has a little slit and wedge in the middle. It is not enough to hold it together. I can not think of any way to solve this problem, except buy a new part.

Looks like they had a good reason to redesign.

CMG
02-21-2010, 15:13
Mine is an old style and doesn't look like that.
It was a 0 fit (well I cut a little off the rubber grip, but ...).
Mine has a little slit and wedge in the middle. It is not enough to hold it together. I can not think of any way to solve this problem, except buy a new part.

Looks like they had a good reason to redesign.

Even the tounge and groove safeties have a means to retain the right side lever... either the grip, a longer (grooved) sear pin, or a screw thru the thumb pad.

You haven't indicated which style you have... but something else isn't right if the right side lever is coming out of the frame with the pistol assembled and grips in place.

Got a picture?

RWBlue
02-21-2010, 15:39
Even the tounge and groove safeties have a means to retain the right side lever... either the grip, a longer (grooved) sear pin, or a screw thru the thumb pad.

You haven't indicated which style you have... but something else isn't right if the right side lever is coming out of the frame with the pistol assembled and grips in place.

Got a picture?

I have a feeling, what I have is before that time.
It doesn't lock in behind the grip.
I doesn't have have an extra pin.

I don't have a good spot, with good camera to take a picture at this time.

Cobra64
02-22-2010, 00:40

Are you a lefty?

ithaca_deerslayer
02-22-2010, 09:10

I was teaching a lefty which is why this subject came up.

I am not familiar with the Taurus Colt Goldcup model. :rofl:

Do you think the safety part is damaged, or the frame? Most times I've read of the left side saftey being damaged or not the correct size, then it pops through the left side of the frame.

glock2740
02-23-2010, 22:51
I agree big time. I don't like ambi safties on a CC gun.

glock2740
02-23-2010, 22:52

I just knew the PT jokes were gonna come flyin' :rofl:

Cobra64
02-24-2010, 00:37
I agree big time. I don't like ambi safties on a CC gun.If I were not a lefty, I would not have an ambi safety.

FLIPPER 348
02-24-2010, 00:52

impossible, only the POS Taurus PT 1911 has ambi safety issues

ilgunguygt
02-24-2010, 00:59
impossible, only the POS Taurus PT 1911 has ambi safety issues
Aww, how cute, getting all upset in a thread thats about a colt, because taurus was mentioned! How predictable. :rofl:

FLIPPER 348
02-24-2010, 01:04
I'm not upset, just having a nice evening

Neuchatel
02-25-2010, 17:34
I'm a lefty. I had Colt put an ambi on my Gold Cup. I then took off the rubber grips and put on aluminum grips. I machined a neat little slot in the metal grips. There is no binding and very little play. I'm happy!

Cobra64
02-25-2010, 18:23
I'm a lefty. I had Colt put an ambi on my Gold Cup. I then took off the rubber grips and put on aluminum grips. I machined a neat little slot in the metal grips. There is no binding and very little play. I'm happy!Sounds like it works for ya. Some of the stuff we lefties have to work with can be a challenge. For the most part, I have very few problems in the right handed world. Just adapt and move on.