Need DFW 1911 gunsmith !?! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need DFW 1911 gunsmith !?!

PBrady
02-20-2010, 07:35
I recently came into position of a stainless Taurus 1911. The pistol was in a fire so I cleaned enough to get the pistol completely apart and I am in the process of blast cleaning the parts and getting them ready for a reassembly of the pistol. However I am not the pro-from-dover on the complete reassembly. Taking something apart is much easier than putting it back together. That said. :dunno: I need a local Dallas-Ft. Worth Texas place that I can take the pistol/parts too and get it put back together. I am not looking for a custom shop..just a local gun shop that will not charge me more than say (fifty) to (hundred) dollars to reassemble the .45 and be honest with me about parts that I will might/need to replace if they are not usable.

Any tips would be appreciated. Pop me a PM if you can or post to this thread. Thanks :supergrin:

nnickatnight
02-20-2010, 10:55
My advice would be to pick up an amorer's DVD that covers complete disassembly and reassembly of th 1911 and attempt it yourself first. I can refer you to some decent smiths in the area if needed but NONE of them are going to put it together in that price range. I would expect to spend at least $100.00 if not more for reassembly. I was able to put my Dan Wesson back together using the DVD and right tools so I would assume you could do the same. The DVD is a good thing to have around anyway to be honest.

CMG
02-20-2010, 15:18
If it was in a fire, you should really get the frame, barrel and slide tested with a Rockwall hardness tester to make sure the temper has not been compromised.

Reassembly isn't difficult and there are several tutorials on the web... but I wouldn't fire a single round without knowing the condition of the steel itself.

PBrady
02-20-2010, 19:11
I will get the DVD and try. And to answer the second. I was told the pistol us under the couch. it got stuff dripped on it and it was blackened. The whole pistol is stainless. Would the fire really mess us the temper in the stainless compared to a regular steel pistol?

Jason D
02-20-2010, 19:52
If you value your hand, and and any other exposed extremity. You will have the gun tested. Fire can change the heat treat on any metal if it is hot enough.

If you don't to this, you may end up being sorry.

nnickatnight
02-20-2010, 20:34
I don't know jack about the fire issue but extreme heat can effect steel regardless of whether it's stainless, blue, damascus, etc. Get it tested!

BubbaShoots
02-21-2010, 20:10
Advanced GunWorks, LLC
817.742.0330 (Office)
817.742.0350 (Fax)
620 Henrietta Creek Road, Suite 300
Roanoke, TX 76262
http://www.advancedgunworks.com

tous
02-21-2010, 20:21
What was on fire? How involved was the pistol?
If it got hot enough (around 400-500F) for an extended period of time, that might have warped the frame. I'm talking fried the grips off hot.

tlen
02-22-2010, 00:55
YouTube has plenty of 1911 disassembly/reassembly videos. Do a search.

itsgottabeapit
02-22-2010, 05:54
AGI makes a good DVD that goes over disassembly/reassembly and has tips on cleaning and lubing. It's about an hour long. And will be less expensive than going to a gunsmith.

I'd also suggest looking on google for ways to do the rockwall test. This is very important. If you don't your gun might blow up in your face.

glock2740
02-22-2010, 10:44
If it was in a fire, you should really get the frame, barrel and slide tested with a Rockwall hardness tester to make sure the temper has not been compromised.

Reassembly isn't difficult and there are several tutorials on the web... but I wouldn't fire a single round without knowing the condition of the steel itself.
Very good advice.

PBrady
02-26-2010, 20:40
Thanks to all that answered. When I get the parts back will have the frame checked out.