Finally got my 1st AR ordered [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my 1st AR ordered

Daps
02-20-2010, 13:18
Thanks guys for posting in my thread a week or so ago when I was asking for opinions on my 1st AR.

I finally decide on what I wanted

I got a BCM Lower, BCM 14.5 with A2XFH, magul MOE handguards, TROY flip up RBUIS, a PA 3rd gen micro red dot.

I picked up the lower this past Wed from my FFL and the rest should be here by Wed or Thurs.
Once I get it all in and snapped together I'll put up some pics with my digital camera but thanks everyone for their input and help

cell phone pic of lower
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/Dapss/1Lower.jpg

Jitterbug
02-20-2010, 14:46
Way to go DAPS!

BCM should have received my USPS Money order and FFL last Thursday. How long did it take to ship, once they receive it? And did they notify you?

My upper went out right away and is supposed to be here on Monday.

I went with the 16" SS Middy upper, Magpul RBUIS, MI 9" Non free float and a PA Gen 2

Daps
02-20-2010, 14:52
I actually got mine from a BCM distributor G&R Tactical. About 3 days but everything I read BCM ships quick.

Man finally after all this time and waiting

RMTactical
02-20-2010, 15:14
Congrats! You did well!

Kahrguy330
02-20-2010, 15:16
What did the lower cost ya?

Daps
02-20-2010, 15:19
$350 I think is what it was. The same if I had bought it from Bravo.

Daps
02-20-2010, 15:22
Cant wait till next week when it all should be in and then I can get busy:supergrin:

So would you guys recommend cleaning it before I shoot it or oil it up and go shoot the crap out of it.

DougW
02-21-2010, 09:03
Can't wait to see the finish pics and a range report. Welcome to the "club".

Jitterbug
02-21-2010, 09:16
Thanks DAP's, ya, I got the email from Grant that he had them back in stock, about an hour after I had mailed out the USPS check to Bravo...Bravo did process my upper and rail super quick, so I'm assuming I'll hear something soon regarding the lower shipment.

I'm hoping to get on the range by the end of this coming week...might be too optimistic, probably early part of the following week...

I'm subscribed to this thread so please keep us posted so we can compare notes?

First range trip, I'm planning on a quick bore clean, maybe a drop or two of CLP on the moving parts, then run 50 or so rounds sighting in the irons and PA Gen 2 red dot.

Daps
02-21-2010, 13:14
Only sad thing for is the stuff will probably be in this week but won't be able to get to the range until next week because of other things going on:crying:
but at least I finally bit the bullet and I'll at least take some picts and fondle errrr :whistling: :supergrin:

zagzig
02-21-2010, 13:21
Congrats Daps! I'll be ordering a BCM middie upper along with other goodies early next week. Can't wait to get my BRD on!

DLEE25
02-21-2010, 13:54
Very nice. The upper sounds like a good set up as well. Did you happen to order the Gunfighter charging handle?

GlockRWH
02-21-2010, 14:51
Congrats! BCM is good stuff. :supergrin:

Daps
02-21-2010, 15:28
No I held off on the Gunfighter for now. Since this would be my 1st AR I wanted to play with a standard mil spec one so I would have a better idea of which one would suit me better.

From reading reviews I do plan on get one. I just don't know which.

I've been dwelling on get an AR for a while now and finally pulled the trigger and I think I will have an awesome rifle now that I've done a lot of research

Daps
02-21-2010, 15:37
I need to figure out what I'm going to do about a sling and how do I want to attach it and some sort of light maybe a Surefire G2 LED

Jitterbug
02-22-2010, 07:55
I spent a couple of hours online, trying to figure out the exact same thing...Being new to AR's I figure I'm not going to "sort" all of this out overnight.

I'm thinking it will be sometime next week before I can get all this together to make the first range trip.

Regarding slings, Boonie Packers to Vickers Blue Force, I think 2 point is the way for me, but not quite sure on how to attach it without further breaking the bank.

Daps
02-22-2010, 08:33
I'm thinking a 2point also Jitterbug, probably a Vickers but like you i have no clue how I plan to attach it.

AR's are like Legos for big kids :)

Jitterbug
02-22-2010, 10:33
I just posted this question on M4Carbine, Obviously I don't have a clue either.

Vickers has a piece of wire you can wrap around the front sight to give a side mount option, for $20.

Not sure on the butt stock though. All my AR funds went into the upper, lower, ammo and inexpensive sights.

Wife's going to have a fit...she thinks we should be spending money on frivolous things like, retirement, garage door opener and a new mattress.

ArmoryDoc
02-22-2010, 11:11
Congrats on purchasing one of the best AR systems made !

Daps
02-22-2010, 11:19
I just posted this question on M4Carbine, Obviously I don't have a clue either.

Vickers has a piece of wire you can wrap around the front sight to give a side mount option, for $20.

Not sure on the butt stock though. All my AR funds went into the upper, lower, ammo and inexpensive sights.

Wife's going to have a fit...she thinks we should be spending money on frivolous things like, retirement, garage door opener and a new mattress.

Yeh I've spent all my AR money I had set a side. I don't want to use other funds for it, so I'll just replenish over the next couple of weeks or use part of my bonus money I'll be getting in either March or April to buy some more accessories.

That should give me enough time to figure out what sling. I have the Moe hand guards and they allow for you to add rails to them and magpul is coming out with a flashlight mount and VFG for the Moe Hand guards.

I'm still thinking about adding a drop in rail, either a Daniel Defense or a Troy. I think they both have QD sling points

I do know one thing I plan on getting and that's some bulk ammo and mags

Nutt51
02-22-2010, 11:25
Great choice, you'll be happy with BCM.
I got the BCM middy upper and lower with BCM bcg and
gunfighter handle. I could not be more pleased.
It took me about 2 1/2 weeks to get my lower, so
I know what the waiting is all about.
Get yourself some ammo and Pmags and you are ready.
Yeah, once you get her all together and tried out at
the range, post us some pics so we can all drool.
Congrats and good shooting.

Jitterbug
02-22-2010, 11:51
I lost sleep over the Mid length versus the Carbine, and almost went with the Carbine just so I could easily deal with the hand guard by going with the Magpul.

Instead I went with the 16" SS ML, because I want that "hopefully" slight edge in accuracy...but at times I wish I went with the standard carbine to keep it simple...even if the SS is more accurate, I don't know if it's practical for this type of rig...hind sight.

With the Magpul MOE you can put some "rail" in there to attach slings and other stuff IIRC?

Magpul is coming out with a Mid length handguard, but from near as I can tell it won't be out until July.

Nutt, what did you do for a hand guard? And have you tried to figure out how to attach a sling yet?

Hedo1
02-22-2010, 11:57
Good luck with it. Fair warning though. AR's are like potato chips....hard to stop at just one:)

Jitterbug
02-22-2010, 11:59
Ya, I got that feeling. Already wanting a 6.8 or some sort of other 6mm type of upper, several to choose from. Not to mention a .308.

Daps
02-22-2010, 12:01
This BRD is no joke...has a cure been found for it yet?

I need to get me a carrying case for it also....

Jitterbug
02-22-2010, 12:06
Sling, (how to figure how to attach), dies, brass, ammo, mags, how to attach light, bi pod, updated stock, hand guards, rails, bullets, better optics, red dot, scope, powder and primers, QD mounts...oh ya and a case.

How does a guy explain this to the wife?

Mine likes to shoot, so I'm planning on taking her out with this one and tell her it's her gun, mine is going to be the .308 or 6.8, do you guy's think that will work?