SW M&P or Colt [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SW M&P or Colt

drew4691
02-20-2010, 14:40
I'm selling my LE6920, so should i get the LE6940, or go with the S&W M&P 5.45x39 and get a 5.56 upper? The 5.45 i think is neat because the ammo is so cheap. But i still like the 5.56 round.

I am not interested in doing the 22LR drop in bolt.

Suggestions?

NeverMore1701
02-20-2010, 15:01
Neither.

faawrenchbndr
02-20-2010, 18:00
Keep the 6920, and buy a 5.45x39 upper

thisaway
02-20-2010, 21:55
My opinion...get the 6940 and then buy a separate 5.45mm upper.

djegators
02-20-2010, 23:11
Why are you selling the 6920?

drew4691
02-22-2010, 14:10
Why are you selling the 6920?

family member wants to buy it. I think i'm going to go with the LE6940, then get the 5.45 upper later.

crazymoose
02-22-2010, 17:48
Keep the 6920. I like that Colt is getting into the monolithic upper game, but the rail on the 6940 is too short, and the flip-up sight sucks compared to aftermarket alternatives. S&W AR-15s are overpriced and overrated.

Truckee
02-22-2010, 18:42
Keep the 6920. I like that Colt is getting into the monolithic upper game, but the rail on the 6940 is too short, and the flip-up sight sucks compared to aftermarket alternatives. S&W AR-15s are overpriced and overrated.
^^ That ^^
Have a 6920 w/ LaRue rail. My partner bought a 6940. Hands down, I'd keep my Colt over his.
City PD is running the S&W M&P AR. They got a good price... but, no way I'd want it in my trunk, especially over the Colt.

DRT
02-22-2010, 19:50
Either keep the 6920 or get the 6940 but do not get a s&w ar15. The s&w is junk compared to a colt.

drew4691
02-27-2010, 11:16
i went with another 6920, with Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 rail system. both should be in next week sometime, cant wait! Thanks for your responses

fastbolt
02-28-2010, 14:45
Keep or buy whatever suits you and meets your anticipated needs.

Some folks get a bit too involved in over thinking the configuration aspect of choosing a duty weapon for non-military application, you know. ;)

Personally, I've always felt the Colts offered a reasonably good value for the dollar.

On the other hand, I've been watching a number of different M&P 15's exhibiting some pretty decent performance and functional reliability in the hands of some of the other instructors and armorers. There are some little differences in how they're producing their models, but they seem to be ramping up their abilities pretty quickly.

We were told in the armorer class that they would have a M4 available for qualified purchasers in the near future. It was mentioned that the S&W name has apparently attracted a LOT of interest when it comes to their AR line and sales out of the country. They were reportedly initially caught a bit by surprise regarding demand.

I'd buy a M&P 15 before I'd buy a handful of some other non-Colt AR's I've had the opportunity to handle and shoot ...

When it comes to the AR design it really just comes down to the quality of the parts used, though, as well as the expectations and desire of the companies to maintain QC during production (or assembly) of the guns.

Since I still work in the capacity of an instructor and armorer since my retirement, I still get my fair share of opportunity to listen to younger folks passionately debate (or argue) about the best combination of aftermarket gadgets and equipment to use to modify the AR system for various LE service. Most of the time the folks with the most strident opinions could be said to be folks who would better benefit from some more training & range time than so much debate and worrying about the configuration of their rifles/carbines.

glock22357
02-28-2010, 17:17
Check it out....I love mine, and it's got some features I value above those on the 6940, like better BUA sights and a longer fore-rail (both by Troy Industries.)

kabob983
03-01-2010, 09:16
Check it out....I love mine, and it's got some features I value above those on the 6940, like better BUA sights and a longer fore-rail (both by Troy Industries.)

BUIS are interchangable, that's not exactly a big selling point. As for the rails that's all personal preference, it wouldn't cost any more to buy another AR and add the rail of your choice. That said, Troy is a good option.

As for the rail being too short on the 6940 I suppose it's all personal preference. I for one don't understand WHY Colt hasn't embraced the future and made a monolithic upper with a middy gas system, I mean come on!

-6940-style receiver w/9" rail and A2 FSB
-14.5" or 16" barrel
-Midlength gas system
-Win!

LarryD1130
03-01-2010, 20:33
I love my 6920 and I would never sell it.

glock22357
03-02-2010, 04:52
BUIS are interchangable, that's not exactly a big selling point. As for the rails that's all personal preference, it wouldn't cost any more to buy another AR and add the rail of your choice. That said, Troy is a good option.

As for the rail being too short on the 6940 I suppose it's all personal preference. I for one don't understand WHY Colt hasn't embraced the future and made a monolithic upper with a middy gas system, I mean come on!

-6940-style receiver w/9" rail and A2 FSB
-14.5" or 16" barrel
-Midlength gas system
-Win!

One difference is that the 6940 is a true monolithic upper, and the M&P15T isn't. It probaly means nothing in a practical matter, just a difference. I gotta add that on my M&P15T, the only way to notice this is to notice the slight difference in finish and look real hard.

Two questions; Is the barrel on the 6940 free-floated? Can you remove the rails on the 6940?

wingsprint
03-02-2010, 05:08
Most of the time the folks with the most strident opinions could be said to be folks who would better benefit from some more training & range time than so much debate and worrying about the configuration of their rifles/carbines.

Outstanding point.

:notworthy:

glock22357
03-02-2010, 05:19
Most of the time the folks with the most strident opinions could be said to be folks who would better benefit from some more training & range time than so much debate and worrying about the configuration of their rifles/carbines.

While everyone can benefit from more training and range time, I'd suggest that modern weapon lights and optics make using an AR faster, easier and deadlier. Whatever level of performance one has, it's improved with those modern attatchments.

I'd say that a weapon light is the most important thing, every home SD weapon should have one.

kabob983
03-02-2010, 08:02
One difference is that the 6940 is a true monolithic upper, and the M&P15T isn't. It probaly means nothing in a practical matter, just a difference. I gotta add that on my M&P15T, the only way to notice this is to notice the slight difference in finish and look real hard.

Two questions; Is the barrel on the 6940 free-floated? Can you remove the rails on the 6940?

I know the S&W rail isn't monolithic, I was just saying rails and such are all personal preference. I don't have a rail on any of my AR's as I don't really see a need for 'em.

As fo ryour questsion yes, the 6940 barrel is free floated and no, you cannot remove the rail (it's a solid piece with the upper).

drew4691
03-02-2010, 18:17
As fo ryour questsion yes, the 6940 barrel is free floated and no, you cannot remove the rail (it's a solid piece with the upper).

Oh cool. I'm glad i went with the 6920 now. I can just put the handguards back on it if i take the DD Omega 7.0 rail off, and the 6940 flip up front sight post doesnt lock in place. .. (from what i read).

:homer:

NeverMore1701
03-02-2010, 18:33
Also, the special barrel wrench to remove the 6940's barrel isn't availible at this time.

GreyEclipse
03-02-2010, 19:30
I vote Colt, nothing wrong with a Smith though.
And I'm not a fan of the 5.45, it's only real useful is cheap plinking.
Good luck.

Kegel
03-04-2010, 18:16
Get the Smith. Colt's are junk.

HAIL CAESAR
03-04-2010, 19:11
Get the Smith. Colt's are junk.

Don't listen too him. He's the residnet TROLL that jumps in on all the posts talking about everything. Everything he has never seen, never done, or actually never owned....he has an "expert" opinion on.

He has never owned a Colt or a S&W. He's never shoot either and just owns one brand of AR he just got a couple months ago and finger "plays" with it. Hence he is now a errornet "expert" on all things.

durian00
03-04-2010, 22:41
i went with another 6920, with Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 rail system. both should be in next week sometime, cant wait! Thanks for your responses

Good choice -- I have a DD Omega 9 on my middy. Love that rail - thin and light. The rail is so easy to install, a caveman can do it.

kabob983
03-05-2010, 08:16
The rail is so easy to install, a caveman can do it.

"Hey! Not cool!!" *storms off set*

The first commercial was great, everything after that was awful...

durian00
03-05-2010, 08:41
"Hey! Not cool!!" *storms off set*

The first commercial was great, everything after that was awful...

No offense intended.:supergrin: But Omega rail is super easy. Waiting to see the results of the OP's choice. I assume the OP will get on a roll and replace the pistol grip.

http://francisanderson.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/caveman_3.jpg?w=480

drew4691
03-05-2010, 18:55
No offense intended.:supergrin: But Omega rail is super easy. Waiting to see the results of the OP's choice. I assume the OP will get on a roll and replace the pistol grip.

http://francisanderson.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/caveman_3.jpg?w=480

Went with the LE6920, just got it on wed. for $1145 shipped. :)

spyder1969
03-06-2010, 09:25
I'm selling my LE6920, so should i get the LE6940, or go with the S&W M&P 5.45x39 and get a 5.56 upper? The 5.45 i think is neat because the ammo is so cheap. But i still like the 5.56 round.

I am not interested in doing the 22LR drop in bolt.

Suggestions?

I had the S&W M&P chambered for 5.45. I ended up buying an AK-74. LOVE IT!

blhar15
03-06-2010, 11:10
Good choice, the LE6920 is a solid performer

DRT
03-09-2010, 18:25
... Most of the time the folks with the most strident opinions could be said to be folks who would better benefit from some more training & range time than so much debate and worrying about the configuration of their rifles/carbines.

Either that or they've seen what brands, aftermarket parts, etc work reliably, (or unreliably) during heavy usage/courses before developing their strident opinions.

Alaskapopo
03-10-2010, 01:07

+1 I don't like the rail on the 6940 either. If you do want to buy a new gun go with a Bravo Company Middy.
pat

fastbolt
03-10-2010, 02:22
Either that or they've seen what brands, aftermarket parts, etc work reliably, (or unreliably) during heavy usage/courses before developing their strident opinions.

Perhaps I should rephrase ...

I've often noticed that it's the experienced folks who have gained such knowledge who are often seemingly less inclined to stridently proclaim their opinions, or needlessly argue about quality if someone disagrees, although they're often willing to quietly share their opinions if asked.

You noticed I prefaced the statement you quoted with this one ...

"younger folks passionately debate (or argue) about the best combination of aftermarket gadgets and equipment to use to modify the AR system for various LE service."

... which I felt was politely indicative of the sort of lesser experienced, but passionately and sometimes loudly opinionated, folks who might sometimes have more experience bandying about brand names and espousing add-ons than actual training or service time. Lack of experience can usually be resolved with the opportunity (and willingness) to invest time and effort with working with the various equipment under realistic and mission-applicable conditions.

I still remember my own youthful exuberance and willingness to share opinions, after all. ;)

I try to avoid shilling equipment nowadays, though. I prefer to promote investment in mindset & skillsets.

Also, maybe I should have more clearly indicated I was speaking reflectively, thinking upon range & training sessions over the course of some years, picturing a number of such folks with whom I've personally worked and/or trained. A reflective, general comment, so to speak. I wasn't directing my comments toward anyone who had contributed to the thread.

As far as the quality of various offerings by various companies marketing AR systems? Well, while I have some opinions and experiences of my own, and I'll often share them, that doesn't mean I expect everyone else to agree or have shared similar experiences.

I've only had the opportunity attend 4 armorer classes for the AR system of weapons, a couple of them Colt classes, another one from a "non-factory" source and one for the S&W M&P 15, so it's certainly not like I'm anything even remotely approaching an 'expert'. Far from it.

Besides, one thing I've noticed in the 'factory' classes I've attended is that the instructors are usually pretty careful not to make derogatory comments about their competitors, and have often commented favorably about a competitor's offering, or some feature or component, when someone brought up the subject. Pretty refreshing compared to the internet firearms enthusiast forums. ;)

Alaskapopo
03-10-2010, 02:35

+1. I used to think pretty much all AR's were the same until I purchased an Oly then a Bushmaster and learned otherwise. I have worked on more DPMS guns that I care to remember at work and I hate them with a passion. I am 36 and have 10 years on as a cop that is about middle of the road in terms of experience since most cops retire up here at 20 to 25 years.
Pat

kabob983
03-10-2010, 08:06
+1 I don't like the rail on the 6940 either. If you do want to buy a new gun go with a Bravo Company Middy.
pat

OP acted too soon.

This (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-14.htm) just appeared on BCUSA's website...coming out this week.

<-- WANTS!!!

fastbolt
03-10-2010, 16:26
+1. I used to think pretty much all AR's were the same until I purchased an Oly then a Bushmaster and learned otherwise. I have worked on more DPMS guns that I care to remember at work and I hate them with a passion. I am 36 and have 10 years on as a cop that is about middle of the road in terms of experience since most cops retire up here at 20 to 25 years.
Pat

I've also had to help resolve problems with a fair number of AR's produced by different companies for some years, as well as help less experienced armorers become more familiar and experienced with what can happen outside a classroom ... especially when the weapons are being handled and used by cops. :whistling:

Without becoming involved in pointing out issues observed with some of the different brand names, I think it's fair to say that the AR system has been around long enough for any potential issues to be well understood when it comes to the design, production of parts and assembly.

Use good quality parts and maintain QC when the rifles/carbines are being assembled by someone who knows how to do it properly ... and you can end up with a decent weapon.

Cut corners in the quality of the parts, assembly or overall QC and you can experience some problems.

You know, for a minute there I almost felt like I was talking about 1911-style pistols ... :whistling:

BTW, glad to hear you're coming up on the likely halfway point of your career. I remember that point (and age) like it was yesterday ... although I might wish that were otherwise, in some respects. :rofl:

I didn't quite make it to 30 years myself before I finally realized that it was time to leave. I looked around one day and realized that what I'd been told by a number of my peers who had retired was true, which is that I'd eventually stop asking myself how I'd know when it was time to retire and simply KNOW one day that it was time.

That day came. Nothing special. No 'last straw' issues or situations. I just went to work and knew it was time to retire and do something else with the rest of my life. I haven't regretted a day of retirement.

I was asked to remain active for a while doing some part time consulting and training in a couple of areas, and I've done so, but it was on my own terms and was actually relaxing. I guess you could say it allowed me to wean myself off some aspects of the job. My involvement time-wise has continually decreased and I'm only lending a hand a few days a month.

Another friend of mine who worked for a different agency recently reached the same point and did much the same thing. He realized it was time to go one day and started the ball rolling to retire. Once his agency realized he was leaving they asked him to remain actively involved just enough to continue helping train cops on their motor unit. He's enjoyed doing that for a few days a month, as well as having the chance to indulge more often in a favorite athletic pursuits. One day he surprised all of us by deciding to take a part time job at a cigar shop where he often enjoys one of his favorite pastimes ... smoking cigars. I've never seen him happier.

I finally decided not to go to work for one of the gun companies after learning that they wanted more of a time commitment to traveling and teaching than I was willing to give. (If I'd wanted to remain working essentially full time I wouldn't have retired. ;) )

I'm wondering if maybe once we leave the state whether I might find a small PD or SO operating on a shoestring budget (like that's hard to do) which might need an occasional hand with training or wrenching on guns, just to keep my hand in the field. Dunno. I'm not really interested in becoming a full time instructor in my retirement or being part of a road show, though. There's more than enough folks looking to do that, and doing a fine job at it. Nor am I interested in joining another agency to become a double-dipper. I've always amazed at the number of folks who are doing that, though.

I'd rather enjoy my children and grand children and dabble.

Stay well.

drew4691
03-10-2010, 18:03
OP acted too soon.

This (https://email.samford.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM%252DURG%252DMID%252D14) just appeared on BCUSA's website...coming out this week.

<-- WANTS!!!

link inop:whistling:

kabob983
03-10-2010, 19:54
Fixed

drew4691
03-12-2010, 10:15
Fixed

still inop, it just goes to a outlook web access page.

kabob983
03-12-2010, 10:43
Click on my original, not his quoted link.