Just shot 12ga with pistol grip for first time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just shot 12ga with pistol grip for first time

feelinlucky?
02-20-2010, 15:23
OUCH!!!! :wow:

Now all you manly men will chime in about what a pansy I am. I am a pretty good size boy and an avid exercise/weight lifter. The #6 was no big deal, but that Centurion HD stuff and the 00 buck was crazy. Right hand got hammered and the front of the gun flew up so that I didn't even hit the target. I really think I need a front pistol grip to help keep the gun level. I don't want to switch to a regular stock because I have a torn right rotator cuff. Good news is that it didn't hurt the shoulder...used the side of my small gut to help cushion the blow. Practice, practice, practice.

It's a Mossberg Cruiser with 18 1/2" barrel. Where to find front pistol grip? Problem is, the gun has been painted OD green, so I need to find one in that color, if I can.

Deputy206
02-20-2010, 16:40
Might try looking here.

http://www.tacticalshotgunaccessories.com/ati/pistolgrip.htm

lawndart98
02-20-2010, 16:45
I'd want a 20 ga. if I had to have one with a pistol grip...

GAFinch
02-20-2010, 16:47
Take it to the range a couple more times before you buy anything.

feelinlucky?
02-20-2010, 16:57
Is there a particular method of shooting that would help me control this beast. Maybe I can figure it out with more practice. Only shot a handful of different rounds. Thanks for the help.

Thrillhouse700
02-20-2010, 20:20
What you want is called a knoxx spec ops breachers grip.

http://weaponparts.storesecured.com/items/knoxx-industries/knoxx-breachers-grip-msberg-500-kn02200-detail.htm

The gun slides on top of the pistol grip, the pistol grip has a spring inside that reduces the recoil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM6-FdS0idw

Only thing I would not rec is how the guy in the video doesn't keep his wrist straight in line with his arm. It still makes it somewhat sore if you do that.

I have the full stock and I like it.

USMC03Grunt
02-21-2010, 09:32
Is there a particular method of shooting that would help me control this beast. Maybe I can figure it out with more practice. Only shot a handful of different rounds. Thanks for the help.

Yes there is. Using a normal buttstock or even one of the pistol grip buttstock variety will do a LOT for reducing pain levels and also has the benefit of leaving you with a weapon you can actually hit anything when you shoot other than dirt or empty air. Leave the PGO shotguns for movies. Not like a blank has any recoil nor shot for any high expectations of doing anything other than make noise so they're the perfect movie prop...just not so much for anything more than that.

Dr. J Frame
02-21-2010, 11:47
Yes there is. Using a normal buttstock or even one of the pistol grip buttstock variety will do a LOT for reducing pain levels and also has the benefit of leaving you with a weapon you can actually hit anything when you shoot other than dirt or empty air.
Thanks, USMC03Grunt!

On Friday I got to see one of my co-workers try knock down a piece of firewood with his pistol-gripped Mossy 500 that we stood up in the snow. He's so proud of that thing that I had to hold my laughter inside. He hit everything but the wood. Said, "Maybe it's too heavy and I'm not knocking it over". I took one shot with my USP45 and it fell over. I told him that maybe he was just aiming in the wrong spot.:) He said, "No, I'm aiming right at it!"

This was 20yds, at most. I pretty much said what others have said, that pistol grips(only) were designed for the movies and have little practical defensive or sporting use. A breaching arm maybe, but only as an operator's gear. Not a primary weapon.

feelinlucky?
02-21-2010, 14:06
Yes there is. Using a normal buttstock or even one of the pistol grip buttstock variety will do a LOT for reducing pain levels and also has the benefit of leaving you with a weapon you can actually hit anything when you shoot other than dirt or empty air. Leave the PGO shotguns for movies. Not like a blank has any recoil nor shot for any high expectations of doing anything other than make noise so they're the perfect movie prop...just not so much for anything more than that.

As mentioned in my original post, I got the pistol grip because there is no way I can put a stock up against a bad shoulder. I have read where many who have practiced enough got pretty good with the pistol grip.

Aceman
02-21-2010, 14:09
Lotta practice - although the issues with indoor distances are less than mot scenarios.

I think I'd learn to shoot left handed first. Then I'd get a knoxx stock and get some instruction on proper shooting (placement, push-pull, etc...), and of course use low-recoil ammo. No need for full power indoors.

Ebb27
02-21-2010, 15:41
They make low recoil LE rounds and these would certainly help with the pain factor and increase your control for follow-up shots.

Most of the ammo makers offer them and I think there's even a thread going about where to get them online.

I can do a decent job with a pistol grip but man I took a beating with it learning how including a nice fat lip trying to use the bead sight.

I've went back to a standard stock, it's not only less punishing and eaisier to control but after years of bird hunting and clays it's just more natural for me.

I can understand how an injured shoulder makes a PG a necessity but once you're healed up I'd go back with a full stock.

PGs look really badass and are great if you need a really short shotgun for whatever reason but they're a real trick to use effectively and you'll never be as good with one as you would be with a full stock.

Minnow
02-21-2010, 16:14
If this firearm is going to be used effectively, then my advice would be to lose the pistol grip and buy:

This:
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/CompStock-Shotgun-Stock,1155,165.htm

combined with the reduced recoil version of this:
http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/shotshell/tacticalbuckshot.aspx

If these two items don't get the recoil down enough for you, then you might have to go to a gas operated auto or a 20ga. If you want a longgun for protection have you considered a 5.56 carbine instead of a shotgun?

22highcaps
02-21-2010, 16:59
If you are going to use a PGO (pistol grip only) then use reduced recoil rounds and a Knoxx Breacher grip as others have said.

However, you would be better served with a pistol grip full stock (such as a Knoxx Spec Ops or Speedfeed III, IV, or IV-S). I am partial to the latter as it gives all of the substantial benefits of a pistol grip combined with the benefits of a regular stock.

feelinlucky?
02-21-2010, 19:29
I like the idea of the breacher grip, can get one through Amazon for less than $80 shipped. However, this gun was custom Duracoated in OD to match my Glock 19, hate to put that black grip on it...but will if I find I can't shoot this thing the way it is. Keep in mind, only spent a few minutes with it so I need to practice and see if things improve. To those pushing the regular stock, a torn rotator cuff does not heal and I am avoiding surgery as I am not having much pain from it since building the muscle around the joint. But putting a stock up against it would most likely finish it off.

Thanks all for your posts.

USMC03Grunt
02-21-2010, 20:31
As mentioned in my original post, I got the pistol grip because there is no way I can put a stock up against a bad shoulder. I have read where many who have practiced enough got pretty good with the pistol grip.

Ever try shooting weak hand? I bastardize our course of fire and have my students shoot a couple rounds weak handed with our 870 MCS shotguns and they still manage to hit the targets. It's awkward and odds are they are going to hold it wrong a time or two just to get a feel for that recoil of an incorrectly held 12 gauge but they still have better luck than a lot of shooters I seen trying to use a PGO gun.

BK63
02-22-2010, 19:36
I find that I can control a regular shotty without a pistol grip holding at waist a lot better than something with a pistol grip that is going to really wrench my wrist, but just my 2 cents.

Jeff82
02-22-2010, 19:41
You can still use a regular stock under your arm. It will make all the difference in the world.

desertfox
02-23-2010, 09:46
Having tried a number of PGO setups and floding stocks......I would get eith a regular stock a pistol grip stock. as the previous posrter mention, tucking it under your arm is a lot more controllable then just a pistol grip.

I do not think a OD shotgun with black furniture would look bad. the PGO turns the shotgun 7 yard defense weapon in my opinion.

Of the pistol grips, besides the knoxx, the Pachmyer was the next best.

I do have a Tacstar front and rear grips I am wanting to sell if you really have to try it (and yes, they were on one of my mossbergs).....

Jeff82
02-23-2010, 10:08
I do not think a OD shotgun with black furniture would look bad.

I think it looks rather good...
http://glocktalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/106
http://glocktalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/108

David Armstrong
02-23-2010, 10:15
Is there a particular method of shooting that would help me control this beast.
Yes. As was said earlier, get a normal, full-length stock instead of the pistol grip. Then hold the shotgun so the stock is held tight in your armpit instead of in the shoulder pocket. You will get more control and accuracy. If your shoulder is so bad it won't allow that, another option is to do the armpit hold with the butt held against a wall or some such. That is a method we have taught for officers who are injured in the shoulder during a fight.

gnasty1521
02-23-2010, 19:54
Even the gun store I bought my shotgun from told me about the underarm hold. I went in there looking for a movie prop and left with a sensible home defense weapon...

Onmilo
02-23-2010, 22:06
Go get a Pachmayer Vindicator pistol grip and be done with it, problem of painful is solved.
No one is going to care that it doesn't match your all OD green gun but you could probably paint it with flat OD green Krylon if you must.
http://www.fototime.com/DAAF67A53885D75/standard.jpg

gnasty1521
02-25-2010, 19:00
Even though I am not into the PGO, I really like the look of that. Has a classy look...

GreyEclipse
02-25-2010, 19:27
I've never shot a PGO shotgun so I'm not gonna say anything bad about it. I love the look of em though. Might rent one day just to see how it really is. I've never had a problem with recoil before. Even when I was just starting to shoot at eleven years old, 60 pounds, I didn't get sore from my 12Ga when the full grown men around me were. I didn't understand it.

Lifting all the weights in the world wont help you any if you just injure yourself by lifting too much. Its like taking a step and half then taking one backwards. Not to mention that if you don't condition then you'll just be hurting yourself in the long run. Also I wont mention that if you cant shoot a gun with a stock then you're pretty much screwed in a SHTF situation.
And I wont mention that if you get into a SHTF survival type situation then too much muscle is just a weakness, muscle burns calories and muscle weighs alot. Strength, speed and stamina are more important than muscle mass.

I lift too but I do a lot more conditioning and endurance work outs.

I mean no offense by this post. Just stating my opinion.
Hope the shoulder gets better, bud. Good luck to ya.

Ebb27
02-25-2010, 21:33
I've never shot a PGO shotgun so I'm not gonna say anything bad about it. I love the look of em though. Might rent one day just to see how it really is. I've never had a problem with recoil before. Even when I was just starting to shoot at eleven years old, 60 pounds, I didn't get sore from my 12Ga when the full grown men around me were. I didn't understand it.

They're really not that bad especially with the right ammo. Yeah 3" magnums are gonna hurt but low-recoil rounds or even normal 2 3/4" loads are manageable. Yeah it takes some getting used to but it's not nearly as horrible as some people make it out to be.

My biggest problem isn't the recoil, it's trying to hit something by point shooting from the hip. They're basically a very close range weapon for shooting something that doesn't require much aiming.

For me personally I'm much better when I can brace the stock on my shoulder. I can shoot itty-bitty birds flying through the air like that. I can't do that shooting from the hip with a PGO.

GreyEclipse
02-26-2010, 02:54
It's like a lot of things, I guess.

Compromise. But PGO shotguns sure do look like fun, haha.

Ebb27
02-27-2010, 01:01
Yeah when it comes to badass looking guns pistol grip pumps are way up high on the list.

And like any really wicked weapon their being somewhat impractical and punishing only adds to their badboy appeal.

They wouldn't be near as much fun or as tempting if you didn't have everybody telling you how terrible they are.

:supergrin:

GreyEclipse
02-27-2010, 01:45
lol, I hear that. It makes perfect sense coming from you.

I have to get one now, haha.

Ebb27
02-27-2010, 09:48
Glad I could help! ;)

Get one, even if you don't like it it's no big deal to put a regular stock on it later on.

They are indeed a "blast" to fool around with.......so to speak.

:supergrin:

GreyEclipse
02-27-2010, 22:25
I will as soon as I find a reputable dealer around here. ;)

I just moved out here and I haven't really been anywhere that sells guns...
except wally world.

It'll be a while from now but I'll be sure to send you some pics as soon as I buy one just because you gave me the push for the purchase.

Southpaw69
02-28-2010, 22:51
For the original poster...if the pistol grip is a pain this is a pretty good video of how you could shoot without beating up your shoulder with a normal stock. This guy is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqtC_8zBzaw&feature=related

IBreakStuff
03-04-2010, 21:44
If your going PGO on your shotty then by all means add a pistol grip forend. Don't shoot from the hip hold at armpit level. With practice you will find it easy to hit what your looking at out to 15 yards. I've consistently hit hand thrown clays with this set up.