SBG or SBR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SBG or SBR

Kang
02-20-2010, 18:01
Ok short barrle riffles and or guns. A friend of mine says he seen on the net that a non law enforcement and military can own a M4 with 10.5 barrle if they pay a $200 tax it will be legal to own is this true? i live in TN by the way.

javelinadave
02-20-2010, 18:10
Ok short barrle riffles and or guns. A friend of mine says he seen on the net that a non law enforcement and military can own a M4 with 10.5 barrle if they pay a $200 tax it will be legal to own is this true? i live in TN by the way.

Short answer, YES!
Fill out an ATF Form 1 and mail it in with a $200 check.
When you get the form approved you need to get your lower engraved with your name, city & state.
Put on your upper with a 10.5" barrel

Here is a link with everything you need to know:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=257740

I went the trust route, my last Form 1 took 6 1/2 weeks to be approved.

Kang
02-20-2010, 18:12
Short answer, YES!
thanks thats all i needed to know and i know what i want next lol

Hef
02-20-2010, 18:15
All machine guns, guns with a bore diameter greater than .500" (excluding most shotguns), rifles with barrels under 16", and shotguns with barrels under 18" are regulated under the National Firearms Act. To own one as a private citizen requires a Form 1 or Form 4 submitted to the ATF, in duplicate and endorsed by your chief law enforcement officer, along with passport photos, fingerprint cards and a $200 fee. Once approved, a copy of your application will be returned to you with a tax stamp affixed to the upper right corner.

You may also form a revocable living trust, allowing you to skip the CLEO signature. It will also speed up the approval process.

I'm not sure about TN law re: NFA weapons.

Hef
02-20-2010, 18:16
Short answer, YES!
Fill out an ATF Form 1 and mail it in with a $200 check.
When you get the form approved you need to get your lower engraved with your name, city & state.
Put on your upper with a 10.5" barrel

My last Form 1 took 6 1/2 weeks to be approved.

Wow. My Form 1 has been at the NFA Division since mid November, and the examiner assigned to me told me that she hasn't even looked at it yet, and probably won't any time soon, as they're really, really busy.

Kang
02-20-2010, 18:17
All machine guns, guns with a bore diameter greater than .500" (excluding most shotguns), rifles with barrels under 16", and shotguns with barrels under 18" are regulated under the National Firearms Act. To own one as a private citizen requires a Form 1 or Form 4 submitted to the ATF, in duplicate and endorsed by your chief law enforcement officer, along with passport photos, fingerprint cards and a $200 fee. Once approved, a copy of your application will be returned to you with a tax stamp affixed to the upper right corner.

You may also form a revocable living trust, allowing you to skip the CLEO signature. It will also speed up the approval process.

I'm not sure about TN law re: NFA weapons.
gun laws are a lil relaxed here where i live! thanks this helps out a lot

javelinadave
02-20-2010, 18:40
Wow. My Form 1 has been at the NFA Division since mid November, and the examiner assigned to me told me that she hasn't even looked at it yet, and probably won't any time soon, as they're really, really busy.
That blows! Sandy Snook took 4 months with a Form 4 for a can last year.
My last two took 7 weeks and then 6 1/2 weeks. Just lucky I guess.

Glockdude1
02-20-2010, 18:52

Does your Form 1 look like this one?
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Burntrubber87/zombies011.jpg

(Read ALL the boxes)

:cool:

raven11
02-20-2010, 18:54
full of win^^:rofl::rofl:

Spiffums
02-20-2010, 19:38
Personally I have decided that the hassle of NFA isn't worth it to me. Depending on what part of TN your in there are lots of good shops that can help you with questions and the like.

javelinadave
02-20-2010, 20:39
Personally I have decided that the hassle of NFA isn't worth it to me.
It is a disease for worse than AR's or Glocks. It is impossible to stop once you figure out the process. 9MM can is next to be followed by an MP5-A2

Hef
02-20-2010, 20:46
That blows! Sandy Snook took 4 months with a Form 4 for a can last year.
My last two took 7 weeks and then 6 1/2 weeks. Just lucky I guess.

Barbara Payne has mine. She's really very nice and quite professional. Anybody I talk to at the BATFE says that they're really busy right now, so I don't think Ms. Payne is lying to me. For my next SBR I will be going the living trust route.

MARSH1
02-21-2010, 12:13

Sounds about right. I received two suppressor stamps last week that were mailed in mid September, last year.

Javelin
02-21-2010, 12:18
And for another $200 stamp you can put a muffler on it too ;)

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5254/noveske7suppressorsidev.jpg

Hef
02-21-2010, 13:04
And for another $200 stamp you can put a muffler on it too ;)

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5254/noveske7suppressorsidev.jpg

That's on my "to do" list too, right after I SBR my GSG5.