Fn slp [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fn slp

Jay S.
02-20-2010, 19:42
Anyone own one? Looking at either an FN or an 11-87P. Plenty of reviews on the 11-87P but I couldn't find too much on the FN. What I did find however was positive. They are around the same price as well. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jay S.
02-21-2010, 18:27
Bump.

Apocalypse_Now
02-23-2010, 14:05
I own the 22 inch version. I LOVE it! Has never burped. At least 500 rds through it so far. It is currently the fastest shooting production shotgun in the world. Guys that do 3 gun shoots are raving about these shotties :cool:

I'm currently gathering once fired hulls for a large slug project for mine, and I have done the following mods:

Nordic extended/fluted bolt handle

Nordic oversized bolt release

Tac Star Sidesaddle (6 shell version, same part # as the Browning Gold)

Otis 2 shell elastic holder mounted just forward of the chamber (chamber reloads)

Reflex/holo sight

Forward swivel adapter so I could mount the M3X light and still have a swivel (I'm going to replace it with a Procyon, eventually)

Uncle Mikes 3 point sling

Apocalypse_Now
02-23-2010, 14:08
Here's one in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa_7iFtiruU&feature=related

Review, video too:

http://www.gunblast.com/FN-SLP.htm

Jay S.
02-23-2010, 18:36
Wow that cycles fast!:wow:

Apocalypse_Now
02-23-2010, 21:32
Wow that cycles fast!:wow:

Recorded as the fastest production shotgun in the world. It was the 2009 NRA shotgun of the year. I have the 22 inch version as mine is a "Battle for the Planet of the Apes" shotgun, and not my bedside shottie. For that I have my trusty but "throwaway" Mossberg 500 (IE if the cops take one for evidence, it's expendable)

For a home defense gun I would go with the 18 inch barrel

People sometimes say pumps can be as fast as semi auto.. and after two cups of joe at 12 noon, maybe. But at 2 AM firing down a hallway, or under the stress of house to house fighting or anti riot use, I don't think so

bsg1
02-23-2010, 21:46
impressive shotguns....

soonerpike1748
05-02-2010, 14:28
old thread revival i know... but it's an amazing gun. i have the 22 inch barrel and it is primarily my SHTF gun. i take it to the range, feed it buckshot, and she never complains.

since it's my only shotgun, it found it's way to the sporting clays course with me. i didn't feel like renting a shotgun, and figured i would "run what i brung." it was the very first time i have ever shot at clay pigeons, and it was a blast. The SLP also performed just as well as my buddy's ruger red label and a rented beretta onyx! it probably had more to do with the shooter than the hardware, but i plan to use it again on the course. i like how my tacticool shotgun could hang with the expensive engraved over and unders.

mixflip
05-02-2010, 15:39
It was the 2009 NRA shotgun of the year.

I thought the Mossberg 930 SPX was the 2009 NRA shotgun of the year?
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=32

soonerpike1748
05-02-2010, 16:06
just noticed this: 26-30" barrels for FN SLP (http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?mid=FNM0157&cid=FNC02&gid=FNG011&fid=FNF051)

ScrappyDoo
05-02-2010, 16:54
Yeah it's almost exactly like the Mossberg 930 SPX.

Except it's almost as good.

And it's double the price.

and it's not made in the USA.

Other than that, it's badassss

mixflip
05-02-2010, 18:31
Scrappy, you forgot that the SLP has to have the pistons swapped when changing from heavy to light loads...while the SPX can shoot everything with no modifications.

And you can unload ammo without cycling the ammo through the chamber on an SPX. You can eject ammo through loading gate by just pushing the slide release button. The SLP cant do this.

Oh and it costs less...lol.

WellArmedSheep
05-02-2010, 20:24
Yeah it's almost exactly like the Mossberg 930 SPX.

Except it's almost as good.

And it's double the price.

and it's not made in the USA.

Other than that, it's badassss

I've owned both. They're very similar...

Except the SLP cycles anything (not just high-brass loads).

The SLP magazine doesn't choke when the extension unscrews itself under recoil (it's a one-piece tube).

The SLP doesn't break while you're shooting slugs (cheap cast pot metal triggerguard shattered into 4 pieces).

Which part of Fredricksburg, VA isn't in the USA?

The SLP is built like a tank...the 930SPX is built like a Ford Ranger.

The 930SPX is fine if you only want a gun that looks cool. If you're wanting a gun to shoot you should skip it.

WellArmedSheep
05-02-2010, 21:29
The SLP cant do this.

Untrue.

mixflip
05-03-2010, 02:40
I've owned both. They're very similar...

Except the SLP cycles anything (not just high-brass loads).

The SLP magazine doesn't choke when the extension unscrews itself under recoil (it's a one-piece tube).

The SLP doesn't break while you're shooting slugs (cheap cast pot metal triggerguard shattered into 4 pieces).

Which part of Fredricksburg, VA isn't in the USA?

The SLP is built like a tank...the 930SPX is built like a Ford Ranger.

The 930SPX is fine if you only want a gun that looks cool. If you're wanting a gun to shoot you should skip it.

I am not arguing that the SLP is not a great shotgun. But do all Mossberg 930 SPX's trigger guards shatter into 4 pieces? I have heard of first run models having off kilter front sight posts but you are the only guy I have ever heard of that has had a trigger guard explode? I wouldnt say ALL of the 930SPX's are junk just because of that rare and far in-between incident?

Hey if the OP wants an SLP I say go for it. He wont be disappointed I am sure. Especially if he is going to be doing heavy duty shooting like a SWAT cop or going to Afghanistan? I neither so my SPX is fine with me.

frankr
05-03-2010, 04:28
If you decide on an Auto make sure it will reliably cycle low brass loads. Unless you what to only shoot the higher priced high brass hunting loads. My locale Dick’s is having a sale on Remington 12 gauge low brass Dove loads, $3.98 a box. How bad would you feel if your new Auto would not cycle the inexpensive fun shooting load. My 930 SPX will shoot this load all day with out one malfunction. I also have a new Remington Express pump and have had numerous malfunctions. Most all were due to me short stroking during shooting matches, a few were the shell not ejecting because it got stuck in the chamber. Since getting my Mossberg 930 SPX ($650) and over 800 shells latter, not one malfunction. Other people can talk about their gun and how great it shoots, all I know is my 930 SPX has functioned flawlessly. During practice I’ve had other shooters come up to me after I've run around 150 low brass shells through my gun on our shotgun course and want to know what I was shooting. Some even compare their $1,000 to $1,500 gun to mine and just walk away shaking their head. I don't know about you but for the money, I think my 930 SPX is the best auto shotgun out there. Almost forgot. Out of the box my Picatinny rail with Ghost Ring sights were dead on at 85 yards.

WayaX
05-03-2010, 07:38
I'll take the SLP over a 930 or 11-87. Actually, I did. Mine has been good to me, as much as I'm not a huge shotgun fan. They do require a break-in of roughly 2-300 high brass rounds.

Yes the piston has to be swapped, but it really isn't a big deal unless you plan on using the gun for hunting and personal protection. Even so, you won't need to swap a piston in the field and it takes about 2 minutes to do anyway.

mixflip
05-03-2010, 10:48
Good choice. You'll be happy. Now go out and shoot the snot out of it.

frankr
05-03-2010, 13:09
Good choice. You'll be happy. Now go out and shoot the snot out of it.

I have been. Now I'm toying with the idea of getting a pistol grip stock like you have. I put one on my 870 and I like the feel and I seem to have better control.

BL33D 4 M3
05-03-2010, 13:21
I have been. Now I'm toying with the idea of getting a pistol grip stock like you have. I put one on my 870 and I like the feel and I seem to have better control.

I am not aware of one currently available. If you find one could youplease advise?

frankr
05-03-2010, 13:24
I am not aware of one currently available. If you find one could youplease advise?

http://www.tacticalshotgunner.com/mossberg-930-and-935-mark-pistol-grip-stock-p-245.html

This is the only one for the 930 SPX it's also the one that comes from the factory. I'm sorry, It's a pistol grip butt stock, not pistol grip only.

ScrappyDoo
05-03-2010, 16:47
The 930 SPX is standard with Choate's PG-stock... and available with a conventional stock, which i have.

And to the gentleman insinuating , dude, I could have had a FN SLP, when I bought the 930 SPX it was with a significant gun budget, I could have bought a SCAR or ACR if I wanted, but the 930 SPX was the real deal. Hell, I liked it BETTER than the Benelli M2 Tac. Shoot, I bought a Benelli Supernova just for kicks a month later, so I had an Italian sexay sleeak boomstick. FN SLP is beat dude.

ScrappyDoo
05-03-2010, 16:49
Oh and BTW the Choate PPL are great, I had an hour long conversation with one of the ladies there and they MADE me a part I needed, serious southern hospitality..

They don't make FN parts do they?

BL33D 4 M3
05-03-2010, 18:12
http://www.tacticalshotgunner.com/mossberg-930-and-935-mark-pistol-grip-stock-p-245.html

This is the only one for the 930 SPX it's also the one that comes from the factory. I'm sorry, It's a pistol grip butt stock, not pistol grip only.

Thank you for the link. Do we know if that will fit the SLP? If so I'm buying one.

frankr
05-04-2010, 02:53
Thank you for the link. Do we know if that will fit the SLP? If so I'm buying one.

Sorry I don't.