Buffer tubes: When is milspec really milspec [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buffer tubes: When is milspec really milspec

glockrod
02-20-2010, 20:31
I read one of the other threads about the DSA stock kits being mil-spec in size only and that they are not true mils-spec forged from the proper aluminum.

Well, I suppose I should ask if being milspec really makes a difference(except for the obvious difference that certain stocks only fit that size of tube)? I mean, the majority of commercially available AR's have commercial sized tubes of similar manufacturing. So, does mil-spec in size only really make a difference?

If so, I have been looking at other manufacturers, and it appears to be about as clear as mud. I checked Bravo Co, supposedly THE go to for all things super good for ARs. They have 6 pos M4 stock kits ranging from $75-83 with "mil-spec" tubes. Are these truly mil-spec, or are they only a different version of the same DSA buffer tube in their stock kits?

Now, I could go all out and get a uber cool stock that is true milspec, but for the build of my KISS gun, I consider these out of my price range.

So, what is real and what is right? And what to do?

All of you AR gurus, your input is valued.

Rod

Onmilo
02-20-2010, 22:06
Buy a Colt tube, since they make the only actual "Mil-Spec" issue M4 carbines right now, the Colt is the ONLY true Mil-Spec tube.
The only other exception that is true "Mil-Spec" are the VLTOR extension tubes used on some versions of the M14 EBR rifles.

I personally use VLTOR tubes on my M4 clones and my M1A EBR rifle.

Three-Five-Seven
02-20-2010, 22:07
"forged from the proper aluminum"

You answered your own question.

BTW, the part is called a Receiver Extension.

phx223
02-21-2010, 06:04
You are running a risk with vltor nowadays too. They put DSA 6061 extensions in thier kits for a few months to keep up with demand. Althought they have switched back to 7071 extensions, there is no way to know which extension you will get. To top it off they claim that the 6061 is the same as 7071 and wont swap out the parts unless something breaks (the whole point of buying the 7071 is so it doesn't break as it is 2-4 times stronger (depending on if the 6061 is heat treated).
Now I am going bravo company extension kit and I will buy my stock seperately.

jrs93accord
02-21-2010, 06:19
I usually buy my buffer tubes from LaRue Tactical.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=391

markman
02-21-2010, 07:05
The BCM extension tubes are Mil-spec.

glockrod
02-21-2010, 07:20
markman,

But is it a true mil-spec?

After everything, I just heard something new. Heat treated 6061??? WTH is that and what is it supposed to do. Why cant there be some standardization of what milspec is supposed to mean in this case?

BTW, I have been thinking of doing the BCM stock kit just because I would tend to beleive that in some way, it must be better. BTW, they have some koolaid over there!!LOL

Rod

markman
02-21-2010, 10:36
Yes it is. I don't remember where I got the info, but I was told it was before I bought mine!

But is it a true mil-spec?

bdh_1
02-21-2010, 13:48
Buy a Colt tube, since they make the only actual "Mil-Spec" issue M4 carbines right now, the Colt is the ONLY true Mil-Spec tube.
The only other exception that is true "Mil-Spec" are the VLTOR extension tubes used on some versions of the M14 EBR rifles.

That is not completely true. While Colt is the only one making the actual M4, everyone knows that each and every part on that rifle is not solely made by Colt. CMT and LMT are two other manufacturers who produce a mil spec diameter tube also made of the spec'd 7075 aluminum.

7075 is about twice as strong as 6061. 7071 is more than likely a typo as that material spec that doesn't appear on matweb.

Onmilo
02-21-2010, 13:54
That is not completely true. While Colt is the only one making the actual M4, everyone knows that each and every part on that rifle is not solely made by Colt. CMT and LMT are two other manufacturers who produce a mil spec diameter tube also made of the spec'd 7075 aluminum.

7075 is about twice as strong as 6061. 7071 is more than likely a typo as that material spec that doesn't appear on matweb.

It is true in the fact if you buy a Colt packaged product you are guaranteed of getting a Mil-Spec type tube.
VLTOR only put the DSA tubes in kits, buy a seperate tube and know what you are getting.
Collapsing stock extension tubes are the only part I am something of a stickler on because of uncertain quality on commercial market and the fact I dropped a rifle with a commercial tube onto a concrete pad hard enough to bend the tube to the point the weapon was rendered unuseable.

deMontacute
02-21-2010, 17:31
Unless a reciever extension is FORGED it is not real "milspec" extension. AFAIK only Colt uses forged extensions. All others, including LMT and BCM use EXTRUDED tubes...

bdh_1
02-22-2010, 05:55
One guy says that the TDP says forged, another guy says it says impact extruded for the RE. It really would be interesting to find someone with actual access to the M4 TDP to verify.

Since I haven't found where anyone has posted a link to the actual TDP, here's an interesting link on the forging and impact extrusion processes. http://www.ashbroasia.com/resources.pdf