New to ARs Ive used search but still have ?s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to ARs Ive used search but still have ?s

Jamie_s_72
02-21-2010, 08:47
I have used an M16A2 for 8 yrs in the Army and now I'm wanting to buy an AR. I really had no idea of how many companies make them. I really dont know what brands to stay away from, DPMS RockRiver?? I really dont know. What ammo is the most availible? I know you guys are very educated in all this so thats why I'm asking you. I am trading my EMP 9mm for one. I figure my trade to be worth $1000 so what offers should I take? Ive received some for RockRivers and DPMS, I think I would come out short though. Thanks guys for the help

RLLangley
02-21-2010, 10:07
Have to say I'm in the same boat. Current active duty Army and have been looking at the Colt 6920's but the price just seems .......well like I'm paying for the name. So what should I be looking at? LWRC, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc, etc. Also what are the pros and cons of building part by part or just buying one complete?

MARSH1
02-21-2010, 11:07
Colt 6920s are $1099 at the Houston gun shows. Buds has them on line for $1249.

DLEE25
02-21-2010, 13:45
Well I am no expert. I have owned several AR's over the years. A Colt would be a fine choice if you can get a good price. I like Rock River alot. I bought a complete lower and the only problem was waiting nearly 8 months for it. I have never owned a DMPS, but I put a DMPS lower parts kit in a RRA stripped lower and its doesn't seem as well fit as the factory made RRA. It is still a decent shooter.

I've heard critcisms of DPMS, although there are alot of shooters that have no problem with them. I have also heard alot of nightmare stories about Vulcan. Bushmaster and Olympic Arms are brands that you will either love or hate.

There are a few smaller makers that have gotten alot of good reviews. Del-Ton and DSA Inc make very nice rifles that are very affordable.

As far as ammo, buying on-line is bulk is the way to go. Gunshop prices are insane especially for 5.56. I usually buy at least 500 rds at a time. Ammunition to Go, Georgia Arms and AIM surplus are excellent places to buy it. They always seem to have a good selection and prices are very reasonable.

HomeLandPatriot
02-21-2010, 15:34
The biggest thing to consider these days is after the AR blowout on sales, you can get a top of line, best AR you can buy for little to no more than the over priced middle of the road lines. Rifles such as Daniel Defense, Noveske, Bravo Company and Colt are some of the best on the market, and they are selling for practically the same as very overpriced S&W and DMPS and Rock River.

Do your research, when looking at manufacturers. I bought one rifle, one of the best made, a Daniel Defense for LESS than what S&W M&P's are going for around me.

DLEE25
02-21-2010, 17:03
I forgot all about Daniel Defense. Even though it sports a bit too much rail for me, I agree it is a top shelf gun. I've seen it on sale lately on various sites for less than $1000. Best deal around. The SW M&P's are also good products and if I recall they may still be offering free Pmags packages with a new rifle sale.

Nine29
02-21-2010, 17:18
http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462

djegators
02-21-2010, 17:24
Take your time, do your research. Your opinion will likely change a lot as your knowledge grows. You may end selling your EMP, and putting that towards what you want, rather than a direct trade. Go top tier, in the long run you will be happy you did.

deMontacute
02-21-2010, 17:26
Readers note. This article, while choke full of good info, was written quite awhile ago. Several things mentioned in the article are no longer true, for example Colt no longer uses non-standard pins, their are several differences with the S&W M&P15, supposedly Stag is now properly staking, etc....

Useful guide, but don't take it as gospel, and verify elsewhere...

KalashniKEV
02-21-2010, 17:45
The DD XV M4 was the best thing going @ AIM for $1K. Now they seem to be sold out but they might come back soon.

I would recommend checking out:

BCM
DD
Noveske (Free N4 lowers + standard Troy BUIS!)

mikeyU
02-21-2010, 17:50
The DD XV M4 was the best thing going @ AIM for $1K. Now they seem to be sold out but they might come back soon.

I would recommend checking out:

BCM
DD
Noveske (Free N4 lowers + standard Troy BUIS!)

I concur, I like my DDM4 glad I have it, I do wish I had a Noveske but those are alot of $$$$. A 6920 for 1099 Is a great deal if you want a plain jane rifle.

Paul7
02-21-2010, 18:05
I recently bought a RRA A2 on Gunbroker for $899. Have only shot 250 rounds so far but really like it. The GI aluminum magazine it comes with needs to be replaced.

KalashniKEV
02-21-2010, 18:11
I concur, I like my DDM4 glad I have it, I do wish I had a Noveske but those are alot of $$$$. A 6920 for 1099 Is a great deal if you want a plain jane rifle.

I added that part in the parenthesis b/c the Noveske is easier to justify when you deduct the $180-200 for the Troy set and $150 for the receiver. :cool:

When you take another manufacturer's upper and add an $$$ for a BCG it's not that much more...

KaTooM
02-21-2010, 18:35
My first was a DDM4. Awsome carbine!

Colt lowers are banned in Ca, so they must be good too?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/willmaker6/DSCN0403.jpg

dcsamps
02-21-2010, 19:48
Please do not overlook the S&W M&P AR (16" M4 carbine with carry handle). I picked one up new for $849 (with the 5 free Pmags). I have been very pleased with the quality & finish of the weapon. It's very well balanced and extremely accurate right out of the box! I have owned Colts and Busmasters and the S&W M&P AR is my favorite. Be sure to include it on your list and check it out before you buy.

crusader4x
02-22-2010, 01:33
First of all, thanks for your service Jamie_s_72 and RLLangley!

I recommend looking at "THE CHART (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&gid=5)".

Glocktalk is an AWESOME firearms forum but you might want to consider doing some research at a particular M4CARBINE forum on the NET .

I recently purchased a BCM Mid-length M4 and couldn't be happier.

jrs93accord
02-22-2010, 02:23
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1ATDELTONA3&groupid=11

This is one of the best deals going these days. Del-Ton makes a good quality AR. So much so, that I own several of them. The pricing allows the buyers to outfit their AR the way they want it without spending most of their money on the AR itself.

JR

lawman800
02-22-2010, 02:43
Most names out there are fine and we are not in the sandbox so it will hold up to your civilian plinking duties. Don't get too hung up on this brand or that brand as long as it is a decent brand that's been in business a while and it's in your price range. It's the same thing as anything else where people get so hung up on their favorite brand and minutiae that they lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Haven't heard too many horror stories other than Olympic Arms and even then, you get good and bad. I have an Oly lower and it works just fine.

BicycleDay43
02-22-2010, 17:40
Most names out there are fine and we are not in the sandbox so it will hold up to your civilian plinking duties. Don't get too hung up on this brand or that brand as long as it is a decent brand that's been in business a while and it's in your price range.

Exactly. If we do have a sandstorm here, I won't be shooting in it.

lawman800
02-22-2010, 20:59
Exactly. If we do have a sandstorm here, I won't be shooting in it.

You guys in the Air Force shoot small arms at all? I thought you guys get hazard pay if you are more than 200 yards away from the nearest dining facility or air conditioned office.:whistling:

KalashniKEV
02-22-2010, 21:14
Glocktalk is an AWESOME firearms forum but you might want to consider doing some research at a particular M4CARBINE forum on the NET .

I recently purchased a BCM Mid-length M4 and couldn't be happier.

"The Chart" is what it is, but I think M4Carbine might actually be a front site for BCM...

j/k :tongueout:

NOVESKE all the way!

HAIL CAESAR
02-22-2010, 21:23

Readers note. This article, while choke full of good info, was written quite awhile ago. Several things mentioned in the article are no longer true, for example Colt no longer uses non-standard pins, their are several differences with the S&W M&P15, supposedly Stag is now properly staking, etc....

It was useful till he picked a CMMG. Then it became a joke to me.

kabob983
02-23-2010, 10:15

He mentions that a little bit.

Colt uses standard pins, S&W is MUCH better than the previously reviewed rifle, and BCM now exists (but he hasn't reviewed one yet).

It was useful till he picked a CMMG. Then it became a joke to me.

A few months ago he wrote "there has been a big change in CMMG's product quality and until they fix it I can no longer recommend it" but apparently he removed it (which surprises me as I don't think CMMG has changed their product/elitist mindset at all).

Price for what it is CMMG wasn't bad, now the quality is lower and the price is higher...

HAIL CAESAR
02-23-2010, 10:19
CMMG- Separating fine folks from their hard earned money since they opened on over priced weapons assembled in a pole barn with mediocre parts. All the while telling "fib" after "fib" to consumers about their products.

At CMMG's price point there are much better rifles from more reputable and honest companies.

jbremount
02-28-2010, 06:06
Colt 6920s are $1099 at the Houston gun shows. Buds has them on line for $1249.

+1.......This is my opinion...With the price Colts are selling for now, they are a bargin. The others may say "mil spec this or that" but it's adversisment, especially if you research the parts intensly. The other guns are not made with the same parts as Colts. Example, with the Colt you get the original mil spec buffer tube,the mil spec barrel steel. With the Colt rifles, you don't have to think thoughts like, I have this mil spec buffer tube, but is it really the same and as strong as the colt's buffer tube. The more you learn and get into AR guns, the more you will see the differences. Of course , to some these differences are meaningless in their shooting arena.

The Colt will only increase in value.