Shooting lead with an AA .22lr Kit? Polygonal rifling + lead question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting lead with an AA .22lr Kit? Polygonal rifling + lead question

dubels
02-21-2010, 17:04
I know that there is a lot of debate on shooting centerfire lead rounds out of polygonal rifled barrels like the stock Glock barrels. But how about rimfire lead rounds? I was looking at my Advantage Arms 17-22 LE kit for my G17 and I noticed that it had polygonal rifling. Wouldn't the same principles of shooting lead apply to rimfire? The .22lr range form 1000-1250fps. I have some Eley Sport and Federal Automatch which are all lead bullets and am wondering if I should worry about leading and excessive pressures. The Federal Automatch is recommended by Advantage Arms so that is why I am posting the question up here. I tend to shoot off more .22lr rounds than 9mm rounds during a session, so I want to know if I should worry about cleaning at the range.

DWARREN123
02-21-2010, 22:33
All 22lr is lead, some have a lite plating of copper but lead. Try and you can scrape the copper coating off with a finger nail.
I only clean the bore of 22lr firearms when accuracy falls off.

TonyT
02-21-2010, 23:15
I have shot a loy of 22LR ammo through my AA conversion unit, mostly Remington Golden and CCI MiniMag. Theose ronds only have a copper/brass wash over the lead. I only clean using a length of 15lb monofilament fishing line and a cloth patch with Hoppes#9.

dubels
02-22-2010, 01:57
Ok that answers a few things. Thanks for the responses.

ilgunguygt
02-22-2010, 08:38
Even centerfire rounds through a glock barrel arent the problem they are made to be.

Boxerglocker
02-22-2010, 11:38
I know that there is a lot of debate on shooting centerfire lead rounds out of polygonal rifled barrels like the stock Glock barrels. But how about rimfire lead rounds? I was looking at my Advantage Arms 17-22 LE kit for my G17 and I noticed that it had polygonal rifling. Wouldn't the same principles of shooting lead apply to rimfire? The .22lr range form 1000-1250fps. I have some Eley Sport and Federal Automatch which are all lead bullets and am wondering if I should worry about leading and excessive pressures. The Federal Automatch is recommended by Advantage Arms so that is why I am posting the question up here. I tend to shoot off more .22lr rounds than 9mm rounds during a session, so I want to know if I should worry about cleaning at the range.

I stick to all CCI mini mags in my AA kit. The FTF and FTE rate has been minimal with those rounds. I run a bore snake through mine every 100 rounds and only do a through cleaning every 500 or so just as a preventative measure.
All the other type of ammo that I have tried with it seem inferior in comparision. I gave up on all the bulk buy discounted 22lr stuff.

dubels
02-22-2010, 21:50
I tried some Eley Sport today and it would not cycle. I only seem to have 2-5 problems per every 200 rounds with the Remington Value Packs. I actually had 3 problems with the 100 rounds of Mini Mags. I will try again, but every 150-200 rounds now I just run a patch of hopes #9 through the barrel. I noticed my hands were covered in lead today after loading rounds of plated and non plated .22lr in my magazine.

mboylan
03-07-2010, 16:42
I tried some Eley Sport today and it would not cycle. I only seem to have 2-5 problems per every 200 rounds with the Remington Value Packs. I actually had 3 problems with the 100 rounds of Mini Mags. I will try again, but every 150-200 rounds now I just run a patch of hopes #9 through the barrel. I noticed my hands were covered in lead today after loading rounds of plated and non plated .22lr in my magazine.

Yeah, standard velocity rounds will not cycle the slide on an AA. CCI Mini-Mags and Remington Goldens are about the only things that feed. AA kits need to run really wet. Cleaning the barrel doesn't make a difference, lube does.

If you keep it heavily lubed, you should get close to 100% with CCI Mini-Mags. The Remington will give you a fail to fire rate of about 2% because of the low quality of the ammo.

petekim
03-12-2010, 23:44
"Federal Automatch recommended by AA"? Is this a new development?