Best way to carry 45acp moon clips? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best way to carry 45acp moon clips?

glock39
02-21-2010, 17:37
I just acquired a S&W Nightguard 325 and, much to my surprise, it looks like it could work as a carry gun. Which now leaves trying to figure out the best way to carry spare ammo for it.

The steel full moon clips concern me, as it seems that they could get bent (and thus no longer go into the cylinder) if subjected to abuse. I've heard some people say they've never seen a steel moon clip get bent, others say it happens fairly often. Common sense suggests that if they were being carried in a pocket and, for instance, you got knocked down in a fight and landed on top of your spare ammo, then they certainly could get bent. A speed loader case that was reinforced with PVC pipe or steel tubing might help protect them?

Half moon clips were standard issue in WWI, but the consensus seems to be that they get bent more easily than full moon clips. The 2 round 1/3 moon clips would be the easiest to conceal and less likely to get bent. But they lose a lot of the benefit of rapid reloading.

The Rimz brand polymer full moon clips are designed for easy hand loading and supposedly don't hold the cartridges securely enough to be recommended for CCW (again, we're talking about real world abuse, not how well they work on the firing range). But I wonder if I could take a drop of Super Glue and permanently glue each of the cartridges into a Rimz moon clip? Granted, this would make a slightly expensive single-use moon clip. But it seems like the polymer would be less likely to get bent and easier to force into the cylinder if it was bent. It's not like I need all that many loaded moon clips for carrying, so sacrificing a few polymer clips in order to get a sturdier reload would be well worth it.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

G33
02-21-2010, 21:11
Rimz are fine for carry.
Have them in .45 and .40 and 10mm.
Steel is better.

There are pouches for them.
Load two per side.
one moon up...other moon down.

Also olde sunglass cases that fit on the belt work.
Anything that clips to belt.
Enjoy.

glock39
02-21-2010, 22:15
Sunglasses case, eh? Thanks for a great idea, I'll need to look around and see what I can find.

Mushinto
02-22-2010, 00:32
During a firearms instructor class, I had to qualify with any revolver. I used a 1917 Colt revolver and when I ran out of moon clips (miscounted) I reloaded from the 1911 magazines on my belt.

Drawing the mag with my left hand and thumbing the rounds into the cylinder after ejecting a moon clip of empties was very quick. The next reloads were not quite as quick, but the mags are very easy to carry and conceal.

Something to think about.

ML

Brian Dover
02-22-2010, 10:58
El Paso Saddlery--and a lot of other places--make six (or more) round belt slide spare ammo carriers. You know, like on a "Cowboy" gunbelt, each loop holds one individual round, vertically. If you get the six round belt slide for .44/.45 and use two loops per moon clip you can carry three of 'em.

There are also spring steel carriers with appropriately shaped insert in the center, for several different varieties of moon clip. California Competition Works was the brand to look for a few years back.

glock39
02-22-2010, 17:22
It sounds like I need to research some ammo carriers. The idea of using a cheap 1911 mag sounds great, but I'll need to make sure I'm getting solid primer strikes on all chambers without a clip (I've heard some of 325's are bad about requiring clips for reliable ignition).

Thanks for the input so far, everyone!

texmex
02-22-2010, 18:29
I use the shortest Mace case that Uncle Mikes makes. It holds three full moon clips stacked vertically. You can grab the top one. The next two I remove by ticking my index finger in the hole and pulling it out. I have three of these cases on my duty rig which gives me 60 rounds total ( 6X3X3+6 in the revolver).

Bullman
03-08-2010, 21:02
Andrew's custom leather makes a shoulder rig offside ammo carrier for moon clips that uses a dowel with a snap on the end of it. you place the moon clip over the down then the strap snaps in place. You might write and see if he could make some sort of belt device that would work for you.

G33
03-08-2010, 21:21
I use a Glock 9mm mag to load my M547 revo.
However, it is set to eject without moon.

:supergrin: