Ruined Brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruined Brass

John Watson
02-21-2010, 17:43
I have a long slide and LW barrel for my G21 in 10mm. about two or three pieces of brass out of every magazine seems to be hitting the slide and making a bad crimp/split in the case mouth upon ejecting.

Has anyone else experienced this. I have used the original spring as well as a 20lb spring set up to see it makes a difference, it didn't. This was shooting some Double Tap ammo, not reloads.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am guessing the slide has some high velocity movement due to the high pressure Double Tap ammo making the slide come forward before some pieces of brass have cleared the ejection port and allowing the piece of brass to collide with the edge of the slide but this is just a guess. I wish I had a video camera that I could slow down enough to see what is happening.

John

John Watson
02-23-2010, 19:43
moving to reloading forum and adding pics where there is more traffic

nolt
02-27-2010, 22:35
ive been having this problem with a dan wesson rz-10 10mm 1911.

like yours, only with stout rounds. never with milder reloads. the DT rounds do it, and some of my hotter reloads do it. not every round. just periodically. they dont seize the weapon or FTE... they just get mangled on the way out.

a pistolsmith with quite a bit of expertiece with DWs told me that this is not uncommon with them and that its often due to the 'extended ejector' that is used in modern 1911s. he told me that the longer 10mm case can get bounced off the top of the slide and that delaying ejection a little bit should help. ive been filing my ejector bit by bit and its getting better fwiw. in fact i may actually have it where it no longer does it at all now. time (and some more DTs) will tell.

cant say for you since its obviously a different animal, but obviously its in the timing...

how do the ejectors on the G21 and G20 compare??

kjm1016
02-27-2010, 22:57
Don't bother trying to convert a G21 to 10mm. I tried it a few years back and had the same problem. I never was able to solve it. Spend the money and buy yourself a G20 or some other dedicated 10mm pistol. You'll save yourself alot of heartache. I ended up buying a Kimber 1911 in 10mm. It functions just fine!

hill billy
03-01-2010, 09:13
I see this same issue only in rounds that jam and then have to be ejected by racking the slide.