Blue Dot loads for Plated 165grn Bullets? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blue Dot loads for Plated 165grn Bullets?

B__
02-21-2010, 18:37
It's all I could pick up. I have never loaded plated bullets and this is also a bullet weight I have never loaded. I'm looking for a very mild target load. Say 1000fps? Any help is appreciated!

MakeMineA10mm
02-21-2010, 19:19
The best plated bullets are Berrys and Montana Gold, and even those should be held to 1150fps or so. Definitely nothing over 1200fps. (This is according to the manufacturers, not just me...)

I think your headed in the right direction looking for a 1000fps load or so. Did you check the Alliant website loading guide?

Also, you could try the Alliant powder thread above. Usually someone notes their starting loads or milder loads, even though the majority of the loads listed in the threads above are "nuclear-strength".

B__
02-21-2010, 19:24
I read about the 1200 fps ceiling for plated ammo. I bought them for casual plinking anyway so it isn't a worry. I have checked Alliant's site and browsed the Alliant data on here but didn't find anything useful. I figure I'll try 9.2 grains and just stick with that. It should be in the range I am looking for, I hope. Just thought someone would have some data previously worked up I could copy:D.

hill billy
02-21-2010, 21:00
Why the ceiling for plated? I have shot thousands of Berry's 180's to 1400 fps and never had any issues with tumbling or the like. I have seen this mentioned before but never seen a reason included.

jesse_james
02-21-2010, 22:25
handloads.com has a wealth of info for what you need. explore that website!

MakeMineA10mm
02-21-2010, 22:28
Why the ceiling for plated? I have shot thousands of Berry's 180's to 1400 fps and never had any issues with tumbling or the like. I have seen this mentioned before but never seen a reason included.

hill billy, It's a recommendation from the manufacturer. I imagine the pressures and shearing-action of the rifling at these velocities overcomes the thickness (or lack thereof) of the plating on the bullets, which exposes the pure lead core, which leads to leading...

c5367
02-21-2010, 23:09
From personal experience, the plated Berry's do seem to get a bit squirrelly past a certain point. 10gr of BD behind a Berrys 180gr double strike is good, but at 10.3+ I see a lot of flyers and keyholes. I don''t have a chrono, so I couldn't say how fast thats going, but the symptoms are the same as people have said they see at >1200fps velocites.

B__
02-22-2010, 18:32
handloads.com has a wealth of info for what you need. explore that website!

Way ahead of you they don't have many entries for 165s let alone plated ones. Thanks though. I'll just wing it, I have an idea of what charge to use. Assuming plated don't act too differently from Jacketed...

Taterhead
02-24-2010, 22:22
I like 9.0 to 9.2 gains of Blue Dot behind a Berry's 180 gr FP plated bullet. They work great for IDPA and other volume work. I've shot thousands of them with great results. It runs about 1025 fps in my G20. This is hot by .40 S&W standards but certainly not by 10mm standards. Anything much faster begins to keyhole and groups really begin to open up. It is probably due to the thin plating pealing.

Three important lessons learned from loading plated bullets:

1) Use plenty of bell in the case mouth - you don't want to disturb the soft plating when seating
2) Seat them long (I go 1.26") to minimize brass to bullet interaction
3) Go very easy on the crimp. I use enough to barely remove the bell.

All of the above steps will disturb the plating very little and keep them flying truer.

hill billy
02-24-2010, 22:30
Shoot, I'm screwed. :supergrin: I push plated 180's to 1400 and a little more sometimes, and I crimp the snot out of them. Groups aren't bad but my G20 isn't a target pistol by any means. I don't see any keyholing, though.

Isn't 1.26 the regular OAL? I load to 1.27 when loading really hot stuff.

Taterhead
02-25-2010, 22:34
Sounds like you are having fine results pushing a bit faster - actually a lot faster. Whew, 1400 fps+ is pretty hot! What kind of powder/charge are you loading?

1.26" is the standardized max COL, I believe.

hill billy
02-26-2010, 15:07
As I mentioned to someone else, I don't want to share my data for a couple reasons, not the least of which is that I don't want anyone blowing themselves up. I will say I use Berry's bullets, brand new Starline or Win brass and Blue Dot or #9. I shoot very few of these heavy loads. Enough to satisfy myself that they will run the gun, not jam and not blow up, the rest are for the woods.

Also I am not seeing pressure signs beyond slight flattening of the primer at that speed. It can be done, but you have to do it all slow like:supergrin: