mounting position for aimpoint? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : mounting position for aimpoint?

jetdefiant
02-22-2010, 08:06
I just ordered an Aimpoint Micro and I see lots of pictures of it mounted in the middle (closer to the barrel) as oppose to closer to the back like some eotechs. Is this another preference thing or is there actually an advantage of one position over another?

KalashniKEV
02-22-2010, 08:25
I just ordered an Aimpoint Micro and I see lots of pictures of it mounted in the middle (closer to the barrel) as oppose to closer to the back like some eotechs. Is this another preference thing or is there actually an advantage of one position over another?

If you mount forward you will have improved balance since the optic, BCG, and mag will all be lined up. This will also give you room to put a 3x mag or a PVS-14 behind the optic. The drawback is that this slows you down a bit, especially with the narrow aperture of the micros.

If you mount rear you will be able to pick up the reticle faster, which will add speed... plus you will see more of the world through the window of the optic and it will ghost completely as opposed to forward mounting where you will see the outline of the body.

On an EOtech the ring size difference is noticible as you walk the optic out front. Plus if you go rear your buttons will be up against your BUIS.

I go as far to the rear as possible on my collimator type optics.

jetdefiant
02-22-2010, 08:32
Thanks for the reply! Though I may have to correct you on one issue. The reticule on the eotechs are the same size no matter how far back or forward the mount is. Give it a try! I tested this once out of curiosity. It just looks bigger if you mount it forward because the window is smaller from your perspective. But if you fix it to say a doorknob and move it forward and back you'll see the reticle size never changes =)

Back on topic, I do plan on mounting a magnifier sometime in the future so I guess I'll keep that in mind when determining mounting position. Those things are darned expensive though.

KalashniKEV
02-22-2010, 08:47
The reticule on the eotechs are the same size no matter how far back or forward the mount is.

Correct, 65 MOA is 65 MOA. The ring will appear larger and take up more window at the farther position.