Sa 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sa 1911

captdreifus
02-22-2010, 16:46
Do all SA 1911's have the ILS? I could not find anything with a search..so thanks in advance.

capt

chakup
02-22-2010, 17:18
Custom shop guns don't, can't remember if TRP's do. All loadeds and below do, but its very easy to replace.

Quack
02-22-2010, 17:22
in all of them except the custom shop guns.

Magus
02-22-2010, 17:37
All but the custom models as mentioned do have the ILS. However, it's pretty easy to swap out for a new mainspring housing and the guts. For somewhere around $60 to maybe $75 or so, you can ditch the ILS completely. I've done it with all of my Springers and it's a extremely easy do-it-yourself install.

I've never personally heard of the ILS system failing in any way. Odds are you could leave it off and never have an issue. I personally swapped mine out for aftermarket parts because I disagree with the ILS in principle. It's not needed, a 1911 has more than enough saftey measures as is.

bac1023
02-22-2010, 19:00
As others already mentioned, only the custom guns don't.

My TRP has it.

captdreifus
02-22-2010, 20:17
Thanks guys for the responses.

fistpoint
02-22-2010, 22:01
All but the custom models as mentioned do have the ILS. However, it's pretty easy to swap out for a new mainspring housing and the guts. For somewhere around $60 to maybe $75 or so, you can ditch the ILS completely. I've done it with all of my Springers and it's a extremely easy do-it-yourself install.

I've never personally heard of the ILS system failing in any way. Odds are you could leave it off and never have an issue. I personally swapped mine out for aftermarket parts because I disagree with the ILS in principle. It's not needed, a 1911 has more than enough saftey measures as is.

Appreciate the info. But I don't think it has anything to do with personal safety, it's for the random child of the owner showing his friends scenario. Like a trigger lock, but hidden rather than ugly and bulky.

It's also perfect for those who display their pistols unloaded. No recreation of the Terminator gunshop scene. NONE, not ALL. We don't need all our firearms loaded and ready do we? I think most of have at least 1 long, 1 short ready to go, that's enough. I can't imagine the day I'm going to need every mag from every caliber for every firearm ready :)

I plan to never use mine and most likely will leave it alone unless it causes a problem.

TonyT
02-24-2010, 13:11
I have them on both my Trophy Match 45 ACP and Loaded Target 9mm. One can readilly replace the mainspirng housing or modify the innards of the factory one.

remat
02-27-2010, 23:53
Do all SA 1911's have the ILS? I could not find anything with a search..so thanks in advance.

capt

You didn't mention if you were specifically looking at new models but their pre-2000(ish) pistols did not. Mine does not.