Ebay Eotech clones [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Eotech clones

outkast23
02-22-2010, 20:56
Has anyone one tried these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RRAGES-com-Eotech-Style-552-Clone-Sight-Red-and-Green_W0QQitemZ190373461181QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c53247cbd

shineybore
02-22-2010, 22:28
The word clone scares me. Sometimes a good deal will cost you more in the long run.

javelinadave
02-23-2010, 00:21
The only cheap optics I would buy is Primary Arms stuff. You may have luck with the ebay stuff but more than likely it will be crap. I have a PA Micro Dot on my Uzi and have been VERY happy!

lawman800
02-23-2010, 00:46
I am leery simply because of the deceptive advertising where it looks and reads like the real thing until you catch that it is a "clone" in the description.

Primary Arms at least is honest about their products and what they are and what they are not. The rep posts in GT and is very upfront about everything and is very helpful and if anything else, you know where to find them if there's a problem unlike the Ebay clones from China.

I'll be damned if I am going to use a Communist optic on my All-American weapon. I would eat ramen for a month to mount a real EOTech on my All-American AR-15. TEAM AMERICA, **** YEAH!

joesrcool
02-23-2010, 01:18
I had one when I used to play airsoft. Let's just say the battery had to be replaced by the end of an all day game. It would also just barely be bright enough for full sunlight, and who knows how accurate they are for a real AR, MOA adjustment wise.

mikeyU
02-23-2010, 02:46
Save a little money and buy a real eotech if you want an eotech.

itch
02-23-2010, 02:53
Airsoft stuff has a lot of this replicas. Be it Aimpoint, Trijicon or Eotechs. Majority are China made.

DRGNSLR
02-25-2010, 00:29
Is the "clone" a true holographic sight like the Eotech or is it just red dot reflex sight dressed up to look like an Eotech? If it is a true holographic sight (hard to assume that for the price quoted) this would be a steal.

On the other hand if this sight is merely a gussied up reflex sight that looks like an Eotech (including the military/law enforcement wording on the side), you can buy a cheaper red dot that will get the job done for you. My $59 Sightmark reflex sight does just fine for me.

HAIL CAESAR
02-25-2010, 00:51
Hunk of crap Chinlee junk. All the money spent to look good and like a EoTech and junk internals. Great if you want to put it on a Red Ryder other than that it is a waste of money.

AZ Husker
02-25-2010, 00:53
Guarantee it's not a holographic unit. They're simple red dots.

HAIL CAESAR
02-25-2010, 00:55
The Chicoms are great at taking other good companies products and ripping them off. I'm surprised it doesn't say EoTech or made in the USA on it.

lawman800
02-25-2010, 02:03
Just wondering... What is the difference between the holographic and red dot sights?

I just got a Trijicon Reflex RX06-14 but I also have an EOTech 517 which is a HWS. If a Reflex is just a dressed up red dot... why does Trijicon charge more than the EOTech HWS?

Puppy
02-25-2010, 04:38
I wouldn't put one of those on a real weapon, airsoft rifle they'd be fine but definitely not something you'd be potentially trusting your life too.

vettely
02-27-2010, 15:47
NOooooo. Do not do it.

KalashniKEV
02-27-2010, 19:27
I'll be damned if I am going to use a Communist optic on my All-American weapon.

Primary Arms is Made in the People's Republic of China.

KalashniKEV
02-27-2010, 19:28
Why does Trijicon charge more than the EOTech HWS?

That's an excellent question...

lawman800
02-27-2010, 19:29
I hate you Kev... guess the PA goes on my Communist made airsoft and the Russian made Baikal shotgun. Most of my guns are all-American, just like me.

TEAM AMERICA, **** YEAH!

Tomac
02-28-2010, 09:05
Just wondering... What is the difference between the holographic and red dot sights?

I just got a Trijicon Reflex RX06-14 but I also have an EOTech 517 which is a HWS. If a Reflex is just a dressed up red dot... why does Trijicon charge more than the EOTech HWS?

1) The typical RDS (like Aimpoint) bounces light from an LED off the forward lens back to your eye. Due to curvature of the lens you experience parallax where if your eye isn't perfectly centered behind the optic then POI will not coincide w/POA. Aimpoint uses an additional lens to minimize parallax but Aimpoint does have minor parallax out to 50yds.
2) A HWS like the Eotech uses a laser (which uses far more power than Aimpoint's LED and accounts for Eotech's relatively poor battery life) to produce a hologram of the reticle (the hologram itself is contained within the HUD but the laser is needed to make it visible). Because of this there is no parallax w/a hologram. However, due to the nature of holograms the reticle is composed of many small pixellated dots instead of a single continuous image which are visible if you increase the intensity too much or focus on the reticle instead of the target.
3) At less than 50yds I doubt there's enough parallax w/an Aimpoint for you to notice under real-life conditions and beyond 50yds there's no parallax to worry about (but this isn't true when using cheaper RDS's).

4) Trijicon optics are over-engineered to withstand an incredible amount of abuse. While I have heard of (and experienced) complaints about the Reflex series dealing w/reticle washout under certain lighting conditions I have *never* heard of a Reflex failing outright. Perhaps this coupled w/whatever engineering & legal requirements needed to include what is essentially a nuclear power source contribute to the cost.

Just MHO...
Tomac

lawman800
02-28-2010, 10:22
So is the Reflex also a RDS by design but just powered by Tritium and Fiber Optics instead of a CR2032?

My amber triangle never washed out in the lighting that I tested it under, but maybe I need to take it out in the blazing sun to see.

Tomac
02-28-2010, 11:23
So is the Reflex also a RDS by design but just powered by Tritium and Fiber Optics instead of a CR2032?

My amber triangle never washed out in the lighting that I tested it under, but maybe I need to take it out in the blazing sun to see.

Precisely. The two best ways to test for reticle washout is to look out a window from a darkened room into bright daylight and at night using a taclight at close range.
Tomac

Frog1
02-28-2010, 18:00
I tried one on a .22. In bright light, they are unusable. I agree with Primary Arms for the cheap stuff. That gen II micro dot blem is a steal.

Also, the UTG Tactedge 7" is a good cheap red/green dot. Much better than the price suggests. Great on my .22.

If you are going for the Eotech look, forget it. The old Bushnell holosight was the cheapest way and you really did get an Eotech product.

I prefere Aimpoint. Simple dot, always on.

lawman800
03-01-2010, 01:41
Anyone heard of Yukon? Saw they had some super duper red dot with laser, night vision, IR emitter, and white light combo scope for $400.

TexasVine
03-10-2010, 22:26
A clone in this case is not good.

MARSH1
03-11-2010, 07:48
Primary Arms is Made in the People's Republic of China.

KalashniKEV I know you were just responding to lawman800 but I want to clarify our stand.

We make so secret where our under $100 red dots are made. Unfortunatly China is where the factories are for almost anything electronic unless price is no issue. They are true weapons grade red dots that never have a stolen logo or violate a design patent. They ship from out Texas warehouse and we back the warranty. It was a thread by max100 on Glock Talk a few years back about having no choice but to go with the Ebay crap if you were on a budget that got me working on our line of red dots.

Take a look at our web site We support every made in the USA company we can, Troy, Magpul, Daniel Defense, EOTech, Nightforce, Bobro, Tango Down, Grip Pod to name a few.