Thinking About Some Upgrades. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Some Upgrades.

Brucev
02-22-2010, 23:30
After looking for a 1911 that I could afford, late last year I was able to find a buy a SA Mil-Spec. 1911 at a very good price. Having now fired a little over 500 rds. through this pistol, I've about decided that I want to make a few changes. Specifically I'd like to add a nice tight barrel bushing, a drop-in grip safety and a extended thumb safety. I want parts that will work well. As the gun is parkerized, I would prefer parts that would match as nearly as possible that finish. I would appreciate suggestion as to where to look for these parts at the most affordable price possible. Sincerely. Brucev.

The_Drizzle
02-23-2010, 03:48
I have a Springer GI parkerized that, from time to time, I think about "upgrading". As far as finish goes I have never seen any after market parts that have a parkerized finish, but a dull blue finish is pretty close. I replaced the mainspring housing in my GI with one from Smith and Alexander and while it is not an exact match, most people probably can't tell it isn't original. Good news is they make a grip safety for Springfields in a dull blue finish, but I am unsure if it is really "drop in" with a Mil-Spec. At the very least you will probably have to fit it to the trigger but that really isn't that hard and I am sure with a little education you could tackle that.

The other stuff I really can't help you with that. I have no idea how other companies finishes will match the parkerizing. I know Ed Brow's dull blue just doesn't quite match close enough for me. I will be interested to see what others say too.

itsgottabeapit
02-23-2010, 06:58
go to brownells website, and search for 1911 catalog. It's free. You should get it in about a week. It's full of lots of parts from lots of companies to choose from.