Barrel Stuck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Stuck

cyrsequipment
02-23-2010, 16:01
I thought about putting this in the gunsmithing forum, but this seems like a better place...

I'm trying to switch out the upper receiver on one of my ARs, but the nut is completely stuck. I'm scared that I'm going to snap something. I have the proper wrench and I've done this before... what the heck do I need to do?

mvician
02-23-2010, 18:02
Try heating the nut up.

lawman800
02-24-2010, 00:16
Leave it in the sun? Metal does expand enough with heat.

javelinadave
02-24-2010, 01:54
Spray the thread with WD-40 and let it soak overnight. Then with the upper in a block lightly wack the end of the wrench with a mallet and it should pop loose. Don't beat the thing or you will deform the upper.

Constructor
02-24-2010, 12:22
Who built the upper? some use grease or anti-seize on the threads, some use blue loctite and some use red loctite.
Heating up Blue is a bad idea it turns to powder.
The barrel nut should have been torqued to 38lbs plus moving it to the next hole but not over 80ft lbs.

cyrsequipment
02-24-2010, 13:07
Who built the upper? some use grease or anti-seize on the threads, some use blue loctite and some use red loctite.
Heating up Blue is a bad idea it turns to powder.
The barrel nut should have been torqued to 38lbs plus moving it to the next hole but not over 80ft lbs.

I bought it from Model 1 sales...

as for heating it, is there a way to do that without melting the plastic part?

Constructor
02-24-2010, 16:53
I bought it from Model 1 sales...

as for heating it, is there a way to do that without melting the plastic part?

Assume this was a M4 type with plastic handguards and you have taken those off? If you are talking about the delta ring that holds the handguards in place, that should be Alum. but ya just never know these days. There shouldn't be any plastic close to the barrel nut, just the Delta ring, wave spring and snap ring.

cyrsequipment
02-24-2010, 17:00
Assume this was a M4 type with plastic handguards and you have taken those off? If you are talking about the delta ring that holds the handguards in place, that should be Alum. but ya just never know these days. There shouldn't be any plastic close to the barrel nut, just the Delta ring, wave spring and snap ring.

LOL!
Yea, I took off the handguards... The part that is plastic is the spring loaded part that held the handguards on (the part that the wave spring pushes on)... at least it appears to be plastic.

I've been soaking the WD-40 to the space between the receiver and the nut... hasn't loosened yet.

faawrenchbndr
02-24-2010, 17:14
Just to check,........

You have the upper receiver in an action block and that in a bench vise?
Do you have the proper barrel nut tool?
Does the tool have a 1/2" opening for a breaker bar?
Have you tried using a breaker bar on the tool?

cyrsequipment
02-24-2010, 17:28
Just to check,........

You have the upper receiver in an action block and that in a bench vise?
Do you have the proper barrel nut tool?
Does the tool have a 1/2" opening for a breaker bar?
Have you tried using a breaker bar on the tool?

No. I have this thing... http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=235&parents=121

The "toothed" part that is up in that picture slips into the teeth of the nut holding the barrel to the upper. I do have to partially compress the wave spring to get them to properly "bite"... But I have also tried the two pins on the otehr side and they won't budge it either.o

Just to clarify, I am doing this because I want to take the short barrel off this upper and stick it on an A2 upper that I have already managed to take apart (without issue I might add)...

faawrenchbndr
02-24-2010, 17:44
Do you have the upper receiver held in a action block and the action block in a vise?
If not, how are you holding the receiver/barrel?

You CAN insert a breaker bar into that multi-tool

faawrenchbndr
02-24-2010, 17:46
Also,....you HAVE removed the gas tube?

AK_Stick
02-24-2010, 21:44
go buy some liquid wrench and give it a soak.

Not to sound like an ass, but you are pushing in on the nut before you're twisting it right?

cyrsequipment
02-25-2010, 14:49
go buy some liquid wrench and give it a soak.

Not to sound like an ass, but you are pushing in on the nut before you're twisting it right?

Yes, I am pushing it in... the wrench won't grip unless I do, but good point...

And I have another "loosener" soaking into it right now...

cyrsequipment
02-25-2010, 14:50
Also,....you HAVE removed the gas tube?

:rofl:

Yes, I have... I would post a picture if I knew how to post one directly to this site.

cyrsequipment
02-25-2010, 14:54
Do you have the upper receiver held in a action block and the action block in a vise?
If not, how are you holding the receiver/barrel?

You CAN insert a breaker bar into that multi-tool

I did have it on the lower... but since the lower is a registered lower... I took it off...

I don't have a proper action block, but I have a soft one Gerry-rigged in my vice so it doesn't damage the upper.

I tried to attach a longer bar, but with having to pres down on the spring, I can't get much leverage with it....

I REALLY appreciate all the advice, and don't worry about offending me with questions about my common sense... My experience with ARs rather limited, give me a Glock and I can tear them apart in my sleep, but I've had a lot of practice with that system:embarassed:

Jeff82
02-25-2010, 15:02
Best thing you can do is get a longer lever arm. Get a breaker.

internal
02-25-2010, 15:27
Some guys cut em off for this reason.

cyrsequipment
02-25-2010, 15:35
Some guys cut em off for this reason.

Amen.. but I'm too poor to afford that...If I can't take it apart it isn't the end of the world, but I want to...

cyrsequipment
02-25-2010, 15:41
Best thing you can do is get a longer lever arm. Get a breaker.

I would tend to agree with you, but I've snapped lug wrenches in my time :cool:, and I don't want to do that to this thing, an upper is a bit more expensive than a lug wrench...

I don't really think more power is the issue, I could torque the thing harder right now, but I'd rather not damage anything...

vettely
02-27-2010, 16:07
Soak it with PB BLaster then heat it until it starts bubbling then it should break loose.

A $35.00 action block will be cheaper than a new upper receiver.

mvician
02-27-2010, 16:20

This............do the job right. You're going to end of torquing the F out of your upper in a gerry rigged piece of crap.

cyrsequipment
02-27-2010, 18:08
Soak it with PB BLaster then heat it until it starts bubbling then it should break loose.

With as much oil as I have put on this thing, I'm a bit leery about applying heat, but I'll try to remove some and do that next.