question about my rear sight [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : question about my rear sight

roar
02-23-2010, 16:42
I have posted before about how the rear aperture on my AR is all the way to the left for the zero, and how its funny considering that the aperture on my previous sight was centered. Still haven't gotten it looked at/fixed :embarassed:

Anyways, I just noticed something about the LMT rear sight and I am wondering if this has anything to do on why the sight is zeroing funny.

The part that houses the windage knob and the apertures is biased to turn to the left, and there is no way to keep it centered. Would this in any way throw off your aim when trying to zero?

I took a picture to try and show what I am talking about, hopefully everyone can notice it in the image.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/cheeselbucket/photo-2.jpg

thanks

mvician
02-23-2010, 17:01
That is NORMAL for an A2 style sight be it a LMT buis, a carry handle, or a fixed A2 upper.

roar
02-23-2010, 17:35
Damn, ok. I was hoping that would be the simple explanation.

thanks for the answer

internal
02-23-2010, 17:40
The part that houses the windage knob and the apertures is biased to turn to the left, and there is no way to keep it centered. Would this in any way throw off your aim when trying to zero?

Yes this is normal.

But the fact your rear sight is all the way to one side is a different issue.

Whoever put your upper together did not line up the barrel correctly when the torqued it down or as they torqued it down, it wasn't held properly and it canted as the final torque was applied.

Let me guess, it's a bushmaster? :whistling:

roar
02-23-2010, 17:43
My rifle is 100% LMT.

The odd thing is that my old folding BUIS had the aperture nearly centered perfectly when I zeroed it, and then when I got my new LMT sight I had to put the aperture almost all the way to the left. Thats what made me think for a while that it was a problem with the LMT sight, and not the rifle itself. I really have no idea.

internal
02-23-2010, 18:06
I'd contact LMT and see what they think.

Onmilo
02-23-2010, 22:01
Spring for the detent on the sight tower looks to be a bit too strong.
Take the sight apart and cut down or replace the sight tower detent spring.

Match rear sights use two hardened vertical steel pins at the rear of the sight to keep the rear sight assembly aligned with the sight base.