G38 busting my budget [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G38 busting my budget

amazingphotos
02-23-2010, 18:18
My older daughter gave me a certificate for a 4-day course at Front Sight. I have been trying to decide whether to use my Glock 39 or my Walther PPS 9mm for the course. I carry the G39 when I can and carry the PPS when climate or required clothing requires something thinner. I actually had intended to take both to the course in the unlikely event one of them "broke" during firing at least 800 rounds.

I recently placed what I thought was a "lowball" bid on a NIB Glock 38. To my surprise, I "won" it for $375 plus $25 shipping! So now, I will have another option if I can afford to put together a complete package. I have never been a fan of the fragile plastic stock Glock sights with a U-shaped outline on the rear. Both the G39 and the PPS have night sights so, to maintain a consistent sight picture, I need to find a set for the G38. Also, I will need holsters. I have a more than adequate supply (both IWB and OWB) for the G39 and PPS. This was made easier and more affordable for the G39 because holsters designed for the G30 fit great with only about .32" excess length. No such close fit for the G38 so $$$$$

DannyR
02-23-2010, 19:12
I'll be glad to loan you a Blade-Tech OWB, Straight Drop G38 holster for your class, and suggest AmeriGlo sights. If you order online at www.ameriglo.com and enter GSSF in the discount coupon section, you will get a 20% discount. PM or e-mail me your address and I'll mail the holster.

amazingphotos
02-23-2010, 19:26
Thanks for the kind offer Danny but, since I will probably actually carry the G38 as my CCW at times, I really should try to acquire something on a more long-term basis. You seem to be a strong fan of Blade-Tech holsters. Their IWB models appear to include a "Phantom", "IWB", "Nano", and UCH models. I certainly couldn't afford to buy them all! Which would you most recommend?

9mmdude
02-23-2010, 19:36
:thumbsup: Danny

DannyR
02-23-2010, 20:11
I prefer the Blade-Tech nano over the Blade-Tech traditional IWB. Pictured below is a G38/Nano on the left and a G19/Traditional w/J-hooks on the right. Note the difference in ride height. The traditional rides lower/deeper.

mhmills
02-24-2010, 02:35
The G38 should fit your G30 holsters.

amazingphotos
03-07-2010, 09:34
The G38 really is as great as Danny and many others have been saying. It is almost as easy to carry concealed as the G39 and the slightly shorter sight radius compared to the G37 does not seem to hurt accuracy. If I had started with a G38, I doubt that I would have invested in the others. That said, I do NOT plan on selling the others, especially with the current poor market for GAP Glocks. The G37 will retain its role as a "range toy" and, with M6 light/laser attached, my bedside weapon. The M6 also fits the G38 but I would be concerned of damage from muzzle blast because it extends so far in front of the muzzle. The G39 still is a better fit for some combinations of climate and clothing.

The G30 holsters I have been using for the G39 will work well with the G38. The F.I.S.T. IWB would not have worked except for the taper at the front of the G38 slide.

9mmdude
03-07-2010, 09:47
I got to agree with you Amazing. When Danny has hyped up the Glock 38 I have been somewhat skeptical. When I shot mine for the first time I was amazed at the accuracy and comfort. Danny knows his stuff and his comments on the G38 are dead on.

I am glad you enjoy yours!

amazingphotos
03-07-2010, 10:10
I was about to order night sights from Ameriglo when I happened onto another option. I found a great deal on a set of adjustable Meprolights. They will go onto the G37 and the Trijicons from the G37 will be moved onto the G38. I would not want the extra height and fragility of adjustable sights on a "carry" pistol but I like them on the "range toy."

I have seen suggestions for replacing the "target" trigger with a smooth G37 trigger. The grooves have never given me any "pain" from the G39 but I have never fired it so much in so short a time as I will be shooting at Front Sight. Is this a real problem? If so, would dulling the ridges with a fine file work as a less expensive "cure?"

Magazine changes are quicker and easier with my G37 because of the extended magazine release I installed on it. Could an extended release be filed down to a length between the standard and the extended one? This would seem to allow easier release without the hazard of accidental ones.

DannyR
03-07-2010, 11:18
The serrated trigger is not a problem with the 9's and 45's, but is a real problem with the 40's and 357's during extended shooting sessions. You can install a G21 magazine release and file it down to your liking. Personally, I do not like extended mag releases, not even for competition.

amazingphotos
03-07-2010, 12:08
As usual, thanks Danny! I guess I just have little old man hands. with the extended release on the G37, I can drop an empty mag with my right thumb while retaining a proper grip. My TALL son-in-law can easily do the same with his carry G21 (which he will be using at Front Sight). With the G38 or G39, I have to either rotate the pistol in my hand or use my off-hand thumb. Neither of these "fixes" provides optimum speed or control.

mhmills
03-08-2010, 02:35
I use a Vickers/Tango Down mag release with all my Glocks. It is half way between the Glock standard and extended.

Tang419
03-08-2010, 03:09
The G38 should fit your G30 holsters.

I didn't know it before I got one, but the GAP slide is in between the 9/357/40 and 10/45 in width. I was thinking they just had G21/30 width slides on them. My G39 actually fit in my MTAC that I had for my G23, but ofcourse it fits better now, with the proper body for a G39.