Holster for jogging? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Holster for jogging?

MeatGrinder
02-23-2010, 18:00
I carry a G27 in a Mitch Rosen UPL. Its a tight fit. I could probably jog with it, but MAYBE my 27 could pop out.
I'm thinking of buying a Mitch Rosen with a thumb break just to be safe.
http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/product_line.html
Comments/suggestions?

maynardwix
02-23-2010, 18:03
Smartcarry, the girls will really think your packing some heat when you jog by.

Golddog
02-23-2010, 18:50
Pistol Wear makes a soft, thin waist "pack" - it's actually too thin to be associated with the usual fanny pack - that's touted for comfortable running carry. It's not very expensive ($30 or so) and looks like it might work. I have one which I haven't worn yet for running, but I'm going to try it with my CZ Rami, which is 4 oz. heavier than a 26. I'll give you a report on it tomorrow after my daily 8-miler.

snubfan
02-23-2010, 19:04
I carry a 642 in a bellyband when I run.

finz50
02-23-2010, 19:25
+1 on the Smartcarry....the company recommends a small I think, but I carry my G26 in a medium and it works for me.

9mmXRAY
02-23-2010, 19:41
Man there is this AWESOME chest rig for biking/dirtbiking/mountain climbing... it looks like a hydration pack on your front. Holds a full size pistol and other stuff.

This is an example the one I'm talking about is still selling and isn't blackhawk brand, its surprizingly constructed better I will find the store that had it... maybe CTD had it. http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum3441.php

boomhower
02-23-2010, 19:43
+1 on the Smartcarry....the company recommends a small I think, but I carry my G26 in a medium and it works for me.

Have you used it jogging? I would be worried about it flopping around. I'm getting back into running and also looking for a carry solution.

mds1140
02-24-2010, 00:57
Pistol Wear makes a soft, thin waist "pack" - it's actually too thin to be associated with the usual fanny pack - that's touted for comfortable running carry. It's not very expensive ($30 or so) and looks like it might work. I have one which I haven't worn yet for running, but I'm going to try it with my CZ Rami, which is 4 oz. heavier than a 26. I'll give you a report on it tomorrow after my daily 8-miler.

http://www.pistolwear.com/holsters.htm

Another vote for pistol wear, I use one regularly on jogs and night walks. Works great.

mike

chief
02-24-2010, 01:03
I carry a 642 in a bellyband when I run.

I tried carrying a G26 in a belly band. didn't work too well for the little bit of jogging I do. now I pack a charter arms undercover lite in a belly band - it rides along beautifully.

jhmayhem
02-24-2010, 02:47
I use an old school Everest fanny pack my parents used to sport in the early 90's when we used to go on family trips. Works perfectly.

David_Ely
02-24-2010, 20:11
I've used a standard fanny pack but I also own one of these shirts (http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/All-Products/511-Undergear/Concealed-Carry/Holster-Shirt/D/30100/P/1:100:50000:50700:50705/I/40011) from 5.11 Tactical.

beemerphile
02-24-2010, 20:39
DeSantis Gunny Sack

faawrenchbndr
02-24-2010, 21:21
My wife kept an old neoprene Sony Discman case from years a go. It's great
for my 642 and my I-Pod. Makes me look like an old fart with a Discman, but,
it's a little more stylish than a fanny pack and it was free.

finz50
02-24-2010, 21:35
Have you used it jogging? I would be worried about it flopping around. I'm getting back into running and also looking for a carry solution.
I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't use it.....I've used it for over two years and logged hundreds of miles with my SmartCarry....felt a bit weird for the first quarter mile when you first start using it, but once your adrenalin gets going you forget its there....now I used it and half the time my wife doesn't notice it, and she KNOWS how I carry it when I am running-LOL

Mad Man 666
02-24-2010, 22:21
I will have to look into that Smartcarry. I have not seen them they look like they would work well on walks and runs.

J1000
02-25-2010, 19:31
..but I also own one of these shirts (http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/All-Products/511-Undergear/Concealed-Carry/Holster-Shirt/D/30100/P/1:100:50000:50700:50705/I/40011) from 5.11 Tactical.

Do you wear a t-shirt or something over it? If so, how the heck would you draw from it in an emergency? I like the idea of the shirt, and am thinking about ordering one, but it doesn't seem to fully make sense.. If you're not wearing something over it, it seems like it would be pretty obvious.. I don't know. What is your experience?

David_Ely
02-25-2010, 20:22
Do you wear a t-shirt or something over it? If so, how the heck would you draw from it in an emergency? I like the idea of the shirt, and am thinking about ordering one, but it doesn't seem to fully make sense.. If you're not wearing something over it, it seems like it would be pretty obvious.. I don't know. What is your experience?

I have the black version and I've only used it as a 'stand alone' shirt. It would be hard to tell it was a handgun in the pocket and not just keys and a cell phone like most runners carry with them.

J1000
02-25-2010, 20:27
I have the black version and I've only used it as a 'stand alone' shirt. It would be hard to tell it was a handgun in the pocket and not just keys and a cell phone like most runners carry with them.

At night, that makes sense; I'm thinking of more along the lines of wearing it mountain biking though (primarily during the day for trails). I might be better off with a Pistol Wear band and my regular riding gear. I might still order one though..

R_W
02-25-2010, 20:35
I use a safepacker and a bottle holder on a belt.

What I want is a Kifaru Koala https://www.kifaru.net/koala.html

faawrenchbndr
02-25-2010, 20:38
May just be me,....but there is not way in hejj I could run for any longer than
about 100 yards with a SmartCarry. I just do not see it happening! The BOYS
would be destroyed after three or four miles! :faint:

J1000
02-25-2010, 20:44

I hear that!

I have not, in a long time, laughed as hard as I just did when I saw the pics on SmartCarry's website! :rofl: Holy 1981 Batman..

boomhower
02-25-2010, 21:24

That is the same thing I have been wondering. Some say it works great for running but it is mistifying how to me. Looks like pistol wear may be the best option.

viniglock
02-25-2010, 21:36
http://www.activeprogear.com/jogger_holster.html

David_Ely
02-25-2010, 21:39
http://www.activeprogear.com/jogger_holster.html

At least it's not obvious . . . :whistling: :faint:

viniglock
02-26-2010, 14:23

True!(read between the lines).

FAS1
02-26-2010, 15:19
G26 is just too heavy for me when jogging. I prefer my P3AT just in front of my right hip bone in a bellyband at waist level and my Spyderco C07 clipped on at the SOB. You hardly notice either one was there. I also have my cell phone with me as well.

maynardwix
02-26-2010, 16:26

:rofl::rofl:

Able 5
02-27-2010, 06:44
I saw this one but have never tried it. http://pistolwear.com/index.htm

boomhower
02-27-2010, 07:31

Been mentioned several times in this thread already. It's what I am leaning towards trying out.

J1000
03-01-2010, 11:29
I ordered a Pistolwear PT-2; I should have it in a couple days.

dosei
03-01-2010, 12:01

I have to question just how easily accessible the firearm is when the guy in the demo video is only "able?" to remove the weapon by using two fingers gripping the very back of the slide...the "fairy draw" is just a tad slow IMHO.

Curious to know just how accessible the gun really is.

As for a gun in the smartcarry coming in contact with "the boys", all I can say is "If you let 'em bounce around freely then they are bound to get bruised on occasion, gun or no gun. If you keep 'em in a properly fitted holster, you'll never have a problem."

deathpriest
03-01-2010, 12:19
My wife kept an old neoprene Sony Discman case from years a go. It's great
for my 642 and my I-Pod.

I use one of these as well for my Model 85, I also put in it the doggie bags at teh bottom:)

theant
03-01-2010, 18:01
Just got the PT-One in the mail I will try it un a run in a few minutes. I will let you know what I think.
Ant

J1000
03-02-2010, 10:51
I have to question just how easily accessible the firearm is when the guy in the demo video is only "able?" to remove the weapon by using two fingers gripping the very back of the slide...the "fairy draw" is just a tad slow IMHO.

LOL.. seriously.. wth is up with that?

cz85cmbt
03-02-2010, 11:22
I can't say I'm carrying with it yet but I'm looking to carry a small revolver in Galco's belly band. Seems like a secure system as the holster part of the band is specific to model.

josp
03-03-2010, 09:18
Waiting on the reviews as I run with a KT 380 and am looking for a better way than just the pocket. Also interested in there's room for the cell phone too.

frankt
03-03-2010, 14:22
http://www.tommysgunpack.com/Default.asp

I use this and it works well.

J1000
03-03-2010, 16:07
Well, the PistolWear PT2 arrived today.. massive fail IMO. I'm sending it back.

They don't give any details as to the construction on their site, so I guess I made some assumptions.. it is basically just two pieces of neoprene sewn together. I thought there might be some sort of insert that would reduce printing (or at least protect the trigger at a minimum). The entire band is also neoprene, which just stretches to infinity. There is no loopback style buckle to loop the belt through and back around; it's just got a patch of velcro (actually, just the hard side of the velcro on the strap; it "catches" on the neoprene, versus the other "half" of velcro, and after separating it just 2-3 times, the neoprene was starting to pill.. I think the closure would wear out quickly as the material breaks down, and you'd end up with this thing falling down your pant leg or something.

It is difficult to get my G26 in, and trying to get it out, with the neoprene acting like shrink-wrap around it, is ridiculous. Not to mention, the lack of any insert in the side panels to protect the trigger probably is what lead to them including the warning label to never carry with one in the chamber due to the design.. It kind of reminds me of that "hands free headset" pic that was floating around of the guy with the rubber band holding his phone to his head. I just don't see bad guys as being all that patient as you wrestle your gun out of this thing, adjust your hand to where you can actually safely and normally handle the firearm, rack the slide, and then proceed.

The general idea of it seems good, but it's poorly executed, and dangerous IMO.

R Rug
03-05-2010, 17:03
J1000,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I have to reply to your post because it is totally inaccurate based on my experience.
<o:p></o:p>
I could not disagree more. First, I originally purchased a pt one holster. I was so pleased that we purchased a pt2 for my wife. I have used mine almost daily for several months and it is very well constructed and I can understand the purpose of the design. Printing is a non issue, one of the better features of the holster. We both carry subcompacts now but I don’t think that matters.
There is zero risk of one these holsters coming undone. And your comment about the warning label is a flat out lie unless they have changed it since I received mine. It was a standard product liability disclaimer about carrying a weapon. It mentioned nothing about the design.
Confused.<o:p></o:p>

mds1140
03-05-2010, 21:24
Well, the PistolWear PT2 arrived today.. massive fail IMO. I'm sending it back.

They don't give any details as to the construction on their site, so I guess I made some assumptions.. it is basically just two pieces of neoprene sewn together. I thought there might be some sort of insert that would reduce printing (or at least protect the trigger at a minimum). The entire band is also neoprene, which just stretches to infinity. There is no loopback style buckle to loop the belt through and back around; it's just got a patch of velcro (actually, just the hard side of the velcro on the strap; it "catches" on the neoprene, versus the other "half" of velcro, and after separating it just 2-3 times, the neoprene was starting to pill.. I think the closure would wear out quickly as the material breaks down, and you'd end up with this thing falling down your pant leg or something.

It is difficult to get my G26 in, and trying to get it out, with the neoprene acting like shrink-wrap around it, is ridiculous. Not to mention, the lack of any insert in the side panels to protect the trigger probably is what lead to them including the warning label to never carry with one in the chamber due to the design.. It kind of reminds me of that "hands free headset" pic that was floating around of the guy with the rubber band holding his phone to his head. I just don't see bad guys as being all that patient as you wrestle your gun out of this thing, adjust your hand to where you can actually safely and normally handle the firearm, rack the slide, and then proceed.

The general idea of it seems good, but it's poorly executed, and dangerous IMO.

That's strange, I have used mine regularly with a G26, and find it to work just fine. I won't say that it's a fast draw to get the gun out, but it's not that bad. It's definately not a perfect solution, but it's the best solution I have found so far. Dangerous? I think that's a little dramatic.
How much do they cost? 30 bux? what did you expect? A fine handmade leather doo-hickey?

SF1973
03-06-2010, 00:03
I just take my Doberman with me and hope for the best... I don't even like keys in my pocket.

J1000
03-06-2010, 09:43
I have to reply to your post because it is totally inaccurate based on my experience.

Well, I was posting about MY experience, and it is accurate in reflecting MY opinion. I don't like the product, and you do. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are. But there's no reason for this:

And your comment about the warning label is a flat out lie unless they have changed it since I received mine.

Don't call someone you don't know a liar when there's a very likely possibility that you're wrong, man. :shakehead: I have no more reason to go on the Internet and tell a "flat out lie", than you have reason to make such an ignorant statement.

http://www.sonicjay.com/pt2-warning.jpg

R Rug
03-06-2010, 11:22
Well, I was posting about MY experience, and it is accurate in reflecting MY opinion. I don't like the product, and you do. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are. But there's no reason for this:

Don't call someone you don't know a liar when there's a very likely possibility that you're wrong, man. :shakehead: I have no more reason to go on the Internet and tell a "flat out lie", than you have reason to make such an ignorant statement.

J1000,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Your picture illustrates my point perfectly.
Your comment: “the warning label to never carry with one in the chamber due to the design”.
The facts: No mention of the design. Only what appears to be a standard product liability statement similar to the warning not to put a plastic bag over your head due to the risk of asphyxiation.

xsam138
03-06-2010, 14:21
due to this thread .. I bought the Pistolwear thing-a-ma-job ..

It had the warning lable not to carry a round chambered .. and with a Glock, I can see why. I put it on, unloaded .. and easily squeezed the trigger threw my shirt. little spooky. a pistol with an external safety would be a better bet if you want to use this thing with a round in the chamber. ..

on a comfort note: I have not ran with it yet, but walking around the house concealing a G26, .. I think it may flop around a little on a run.

I dont regret buying it. It was 30$, and does "conceal" rather well in a pinch .. Not gonna chamber a round with my gock, .. no way.

at the least, I now have a nice carrier for a knife/wallet/ID when I run ..

J1000
03-06-2010, 14:37
Your picture illustrates my point perfectly.
Your comment: “the warning label to never carry with one in the chamber due to the design”.
The facts: No mention of the design. Only what appears to be a standard product liability statement similar to the warning not to put a plastic bag over your head due to the risk of asphyxiation.

You have no point; you only quoted half of the sentence in my post.. let's try that with yours:

The facts: No mention of the design. Only the risk of asphyxiation.

See how dumb it is when you leave out half of the sentence? I actually said "the lack of any insert in the side panels to protect the trigger probably is what lead to them including the warning label to never carry with one in the chamber due to the design", meaning that my guess is that due to a lack of stiffer panels, leading to fishing around for it and possibly pulling the trigger is why they made that warning. They made it for some reason, why not that one? It doesn't matter really; I don't care if you feel the need to defend this thing so strongly, lol. I simply offered up my opinion, take it or leave it. Leaving it is just fine with me :thumbsup:

Carrying without one in the chamber, combined with it being so difficult to fish the Glock out of this thing, is dangerous IMO. You might as well leave it at home and carry a club. I don't know what kind of "imminent danger" you plan on being in where you have tons of time available from a bad guy that's a block away who's willing to wait for you to "get ready" to use your weapon in self defense, but it's not for me, that's all.

/thread for me

ParaBear
03-06-2010, 16:44
I run 20 miles a week with a G23 in black Bianchi CCW fanny pack. It keeps the weapon stable at the small of the back and can be reached with either hand.

USDMike
03-07-2010, 01:33
J1000, thanks for that info. I'm not comfortable with my holster asking me to carry without one in the pipe.

Golddog
03-07-2010, 14:13
I ran for two hours today, using the Pistol Wear "holster" - it's just a neoprene-ish pouch with a stretch belt - carrying a CZ Rami. The verdict:

A Rami 9mm weighs 4 oz. more than a 26, but both of those guns are too heavy for this holster. If you're skinny, you have to pull the belt pretty tight to keep the unit from sliding down. But there needs to be at least 6" more of velcro when the belt is pulled in; otherwise the pouch slips below the belt at an angle and tries to dump the gun.

The instructions call for the unit to be carried fairly low. For me it slipped and flopped unless I kept the end of the gun butt at navel height. Then it worked OK, but I wouldn't care to wear it every day.

You're supposed to wear the gun in front. I found it much more comfortable worn SOB.

The pouch should have an interior holster to keep the gun oriented upward for a draw. As it is, the gun sags to the bottom of the pouch. Next time I use it, I'll put a Mika pocket holster in the pouch, to see if that helps (but I'll have solve the pouch-slipping-below-the-belt issue first).

It is sweat-proof.

If you favor very light guns, like an S&W AirLite J frame, a polymer Kahr, or a Kel-Tec, the Pistol wear unit should work quite well, even without modification. With those kinds of guns, it's unlikely to slip or flop and you probably won't even know you're carrying them.

alven
12-15-2011, 11:36
I enjoy running the trails and back country roads while carrying with a Stealth Defense Strut Holster: www.stealthdefenseholsters.com (http://www.stealthdefenseholsters.com/) A belt is required to hold the holster securely in place at the strut end while an adjustable elastic ban secures the other end which totally eliminates any “bounce”. The greatest problem is perspiration, especially in the summer months, however, wearing an undershirt, small washcloth or handkerchief tucked behind your holster will improve comfort and “wick” away moisture.

Lior
12-15-2011, 12:34
SmartCarry, in case you haven't decided yet. My G17 rides in one for half marathon distance cross country runs without causing me discomfort.

SCmasterblaster
12-15-2011, 15:46
G17 in a Bianchi Model 4/4L. It stays in there quite well.

IndyGunFreak
12-15-2011, 18:26
http://www.tommysgunpack.com/Default.asp

I use this and it works well.

:agree:

I have the "Original".. but one of these days, I'm gonna order the standard Sidekick. I really like the look of them, and the fact the weapon is vertical.

IndyGunFreak
12-15-2011, 18:29
J1000, thanks for that info. I'm not comfortable with my holster asking me to carry without one in the pipe.

Not really a huge deal, I'm guessing any firearms owner manual, will tell you never to chamber a round until you are ready fire. It's all about product liability.

shnev
12-15-2011, 19:29
I have run with the smart carry. It is a great holster, but it failed the running test. The gun came out of the holster and bounced out in front of me at the same pace as my run. I had to speed up to catch it.

http://www.pistolwear.com/holsters.htm

I now wear the pistolwear holster. All I can say is that it is the best holster I ever ran in. The smaller the pistol, the lighter the load is around the waist.

happyguy
12-15-2011, 20:15
Lior recommends Smartcarry and I believe he has used it for distances up to half-marathon.

I have a fanny pack that holds two 20 oz. bottles and has a large pouch that I can carry my 642 in.

Regards,
Happyguy :)