Good weather's coming - shooting plans? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good weather's coming - shooting plans?

furioso2112
02-23-2010, 18:21
I have been more-anxiously than ever before awaiting the arrival of spring this year. I saw on today's 10-day forecast the first 40-degree day prediction in months. After a long, cold, snowy, winter, I am dreaming of getting out to some 3-gun matches (found a great local one last year).

Also thinking about plenty of other good-weather fun, but I'll keep it to that for now since this IS the BRF. What plans are others looking forward to - especially those who have been a bit cooped-up due to weather?

Jeremy_K
02-23-2010, 18:32
I have to go to the Sportsman's club tomorrow to pay my annual dues (deadline). I plan on bringing along my brand new Stag Model 1. I'll probably have about 6 inches of snow to walk through to set up my targets too.:cool:

furioso2112
02-23-2010, 20:36
Cold/snow shooting is good practice, and I do it, too, but this year I am really looking forward to run and gun practice. Shooting a new gun was the thing that got me out to the range most recently. I have a nice place to go for indoor pistol, but it's only 25 feet max. I guess part of my mounting anticipation is that I will have more time for it this summer than the last several. Over the last couple years, I had less time to get out and shoot but was able to put some time into building, sorting, arranging, setting up and watched some training videos. I'm trying to figure out when and where to do a training, too, but that will probably be another while as I plan to move to VA in as little as 5 mos. I figure I might be better off concentrating on other things I need want to do with my gun time until then, and then use training and gun time once I move to start figuring out where and when the shoots I like are, all over again.

lawman800
02-23-2010, 23:17
Might do some open range plinking and skeet this weekend, but that is if I don't have to work.

volsbear
02-24-2010, 10:33
Definitely looking forward to when the outdoor shooting park opens (I think in early April). I'll be out there as soon as I'm sure I won't freeze to the ground.

kgain673
02-24-2010, 17:00
I'm kinda scared of how many people will be at the ranges when the weather gets better, we had a massive amount of snow this winter and people are itching to get outside. My brother is bugging out and annoying the heck out of me talking about how little he shoots and his expensive firearms are just collecting dust.

Kentak
02-27-2010, 12:52
I use one of Ohio's supervised outdoor ranges. They open March 1, but we still have lots of wet, melting snow on the ground. I'll wait for a reasonably decent day early in the month, wear rubber boots, and check it out

I'm very anxious to continue the evaluation of my new SR-556 I started last fall, but in a more organized way.

lawman800
02-27-2010, 12:54
No shooting today, storm moved in last night and it's heavy right now still.

jmorris
02-27-2010, 19:25
Sighted in my custom mount for a strange gun for the 3 gun match next weekend.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/1919.jpg

furioso2112
02-27-2010, 19:47
Okay - I'll bite - WTF is that? Besides, of course, a whole lot of fun.

Lots of good ideas...getting more antsy by the moment.

jmorris
02-28-2010, 12:26
Okay - I'll bite - WTF is that? Besides, of course, a whole lot of fun.

It's a Browning 1919 in A6 configuration chambered in .308. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1919_Browning_machine_gun

wingsprint
02-28-2010, 16:44
You could move to Florida and shoot year round :supergrin:

furioso2112
02-28-2010, 18:37
How about VA? I have seen they do 3-gun matches in a couple places, and thier weather is better year-round than MI for shooting. Although I wonder if they see thier winter weather as coparatively bad, considering their near-southern neighbors and (relative to MI) lack of snow equipment/know-how/interest in dealing with it. I mostly hope to buy a piece of land to build my own setup. Expensive, but worth it to me if I can eventually swing it. If I can find suitable land near enough my primary residence, I'll consider opening a public or semi-public (semi-private?) range. Licensing and liability insuranec are the likely higih-cost items, but if they can offset the expense, it'll be worth it.