Need advice on DPMS .308 setup. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on DPMS .308 setup.

socmguy
02-23-2010, 21:50
I bought a DPMS .308 gun from a friend. It's kind of an oddball as it has a 16" barrel, carbine stock, slick flattop upper, carbine hand guards, flip up front and rear sights, and railed gas block. I have a Leupold VX II en route for it and I want to put a bipod up front. Should I attach a rail on the bottom of the hand grips or just buy the quad free float rail tube from DPMS?

cyrsequipment
02-24-2010, 13:32
Well, "conventional wisdom" states to not attach a bipod to a barrel in any way because you can throw off the point of impact...

Having said that, if you aren't trying to get super accuracy, go ahead.

thisaway
02-24-2010, 16:17
I have an LR-243 that has been rebarreled to .308, and it has a round aluminum free-floating handguard. If I wanted a bipod, I'd probably get the quad-rail...but, each to his own.

socmguy
02-24-2010, 17:23
What are the alternatives to the DPMS free float rail that will work?

Thanks for the input so far.

Norcal911
02-24-2010, 22:30
Daniels Defense makes a good .308 rail. I'm not familiar with the Larue one for .308 but I'm sure they make one and no doubt its as good as the DD. If you want to put some money into it, sell off the upper and have GAP or Fulton build you an upper. It will be made with a custom barrel and probably be highly accurate and reliable. I have no first hand knowledge of most of what I just told you but I have been doing a lot of research and that's what I have come up with so far. Ask Alskapopo, I think he had GAP build his-Norcal911

socmguy
02-25-2010, 08:12
Selling the upper and having another custom built does sound like a good idea. I'm going to look into that. Thanks.