Opinions on the Colt XSE?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Colt XSE??

G19freak
02-23-2010, 22:31
Have one on hold at the shop---still debating if I want to drop that amount on a pistol.

Have no real interest in Kimber's or Springfield's.

If I don't get this I will probably bring home a Smith 629 .44 instead.

So what do you think---good or bad on the XSE?

Thanks

dakrat
02-23-2010, 23:46
I would get the 629 to be honest with you. there are better 1911s out there for the money. main thing that drives people away from XSE is the 80 series ignition. not a big fan of colt's fitting either, I have never handled a Colt that has tight slide to frame fit from the factory. heck I was so close to buying a Delta Elite and was very upset when I can hear the slide to frame play... no Colt for me. this is just my opinion. I am sure there are hardcore "Colt 45" guys out there. more power to ya. I would get the 629

HAIL CAESAR
02-24-2010, 00:44
Actaully the newer Colts are pretty tight with slide to frame fit. And remember that slide and frame tightness barely effects accuracy and actually looseness helps reliability. The only thing a tight slide does is give somebody that knows little about 1911's to play with.

Colt makes some of the best factory guns in the XSE price range. You get very good quality parts ( according to some of the best smiths in the country). Good forged and bar stock parts, not cheap ass MIM like Kimber and Springer.

Unless the 629 is a pre lock then I would get the Colt 7 days a week. If the 629 is a pre lock then get the Smith, and get the Colt later.

silversport
02-24-2010, 06:16
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1143871&highlight=colt+xse

Bill

paul45
02-24-2010, 06:40
Actaully the newer Colts are pretty tight with slide to frame fit. And remember that slide and frame tightness barely effects accuracy and actually helps reliability. The only thing a tight slide does is give somebody that knows little about 1911's to play with.

Colt makes some of the best factory guns in the XSE price range. You get very good quality parts ( according to some of the best smiths in the country). Good forged and bar stock parts, not cheap ass MIM like Kimber and Springer.

Unless the 629 is a pre lock then I would get the Colt 7 days a week. If the 629 is a pre lock then get the Smith, and get the Colt later.

Fantastic reply, allow me to agree!

May I use one of my favorite quotes....

From a Larry Vickers interview....

Quote:
Vickers said the slide fit really doesn't have that much to do with accuracy, but shooters have come away with the impression that slide-to-frame fit is important, mainly because it's something that can easily be checked by a nimrod. "It's something the average guy can check, so he thinks it's important, but it's really not," Vickers stated.

Line Rider
02-24-2010, 11:09
After hearing all the bull about Colts I called three nationally known gunsmiths and spoke at lenght with them about Colt's quality. All of them told me that Colt's gun and of the highest quality. They still follow the spec and plans that have been around since 1911 and 1918.

I'm currently looking for a Colt XSE Combat Elite. I'd like to have a Novak night sights and a reliablity package done on it.

MD357
02-24-2010, 11:29
+1 on the previous comments. XSEs are some of the best 1911s out there for their price range.

remat
02-24-2010, 22:54
Actaully the newer Colts are pretty tight with slide to frame fit. And remember that slide and frame tightness barely effects accuracy and actually looseness helps reliability. The only thing a tight slide does is give somebody that knows little about 1911's to play with.

Huge +1! I think that the tight fitting does show the care and attention put into a particular pistol, however at the range I don't notice much of a difference.

And to be honest at the range a lot of the folks with high-end 1911's should have bought less expensive pistols and more range time :)

The beauty of the 1911 is that if you find that you are actually outshooting it you can upgrade parts.

P.S. I own one of the new Delta's and they are great. Accurate and reliable!

dakrat
02-24-2010, 23:27
Fantastic reply, allow me to agree!

May I use one of my favorite quotes....

From a Larry Vickers interview....

I agree with what Mr Vickers said. also, the smaller the slide to frame gap, the less chance of foreign objects can get in between and cause more wear, especially sand. Just my 2 cents.

HAIL CAESAR
02-24-2010, 23:32
I agree with what Mr Vickers said. also, the smaller the slide to frame gap, the less chance of foreign objects can get in between and cause more wear, especially sand. Just my 2 cents.

Huh? You agree with him but disagree with him.?????

Loosey goosey guns run because crap that gets in can fall out.

Makoman
02-24-2010, 23:40
I would definitely go with a Colt first, Springer second and I would avoid Kimber altogether. Too many QC issues lately, too many MIM parts (namely the extractor and firing pin. One I handled recently at a gun show had rust on the barrel, and not a little either. I've got two Colt's and both are great. Selling one actually, so check the FS section.

I got this from another poster.

Colt currently uses 3 MIM parts.

MIM
sear
disconnector
mag catch

CAST
Thumb safety
grip safety

FORGED
slide
receiver
barrel
slide stop

MACHINED from bar stock
hammer
all pins
bbl link
bbl bushing
trigger finger piece
ejector
firing pin
firing pin stop
extractor
plunger tube

dakrat
02-24-2010, 23:50
Huh? You agree with him but disagree with him.?????

Loosey goosey guns run because crap that gets in can fall out.

I agree with him on the accuracy part. tighter slide to frame fit doesn't necessarily mean its accurate. but it sure does help.

dakrat
02-24-2010, 23:51

the colts also uses MIM parts...

HAIL CAESAR
02-24-2010, 23:57
An accurate 1911 is all about barrel fit. If you want a accurate 1911 then you start with a great barrel and have it masterfully fitted because that is where accuracy it is at, not a uber tight slide/frame fit.

Makoman
02-24-2010, 23:57

Yes they do, but not where it counts.

Colt currently uses 3 MIM parts.

MIM
sear
disconnector
mag catch

CAST
Thumb safety
grip safety

FORGED
slide
receiver
barrel
slide stop

MACHINED from bar stock
hammer
all pins
bbl link
bbl bushing
trigger finger piece
ejector
firing pin
firing pin stop
extractor
plunger tube

HAIL CAESAR
02-25-2010, 00:02

Not to the level as Springer and Mimber.

And Colt (like Springfield) seems to have their act together with MIM and does it right as you do not see the breakages as you do Mimber.

But alas I do not like MIM no matter from who and replace it as soon as I get my hands on a new 1911. Just with Colt I have less to throw in the trash compared to other makers.

dakrat
02-25-2010, 00:03
An accurate 1911 is all about barrel fit. If you want a accurate 1911 then you start with a great barrel and have it masterfully fitted because that is where accuracy it is at, not a uber tight slide/frame fit.

barrel, bushing, slide/frame, ammo and shooter. have a good night. unsubscribed*

tedg-23
02-25-2010, 00:07
I just got a used SS XSE and put 100 flawless rounds through it on Sunday. For me, I just always wanted a Colt 1911 and The XSE did not disappoint. I already want a blued one!!!

HAIL CAESAR
02-25-2010, 00:11
barrel, bushing, slide/frame, ammo and shooter. have a good night. unsubscribed*

Barrel fitting means barrel bushing plus other things.:upeyes:
Like hood and barrel lugs/feet/legs ( some call it different things).

And no kidding :shocked:, you mean to tell me it takes good ammo too? And a good shooter??? I thought you could load a 1911 up with Wolf and send it to the range all by itself and it will shoot .5 MOA at 100 yards and hitchhike it's way back home to you.:upeyes:

And tootels to you, watch the door on you way out. Come back when you can add something you know about.

Makoman
02-25-2010, 00:24
What can you say Caesar? I'll admit that sometimes I can be a little defensive of Colt's myself but it's only because I know that their quality has come a long way. While it's true they had some crappy products in the past (namely when their workers had all gone on strike way back when, 20 years ago now I think) things have turned around.

It's cyclycal I think, every manufacturer goes through it. Kimber was all the rage not long ago, now they're having issues. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they bounce back as well. It's just like with what Toyota is going through now. For years they were the envy of the auto industry, now they've fallen from grace.

I kind of upsets me sometimes when people won't give manufacturer a chance because of something that happened long ago. Anyone hear of comebacks?

G19freak
02-25-2010, 00:42
Hell I'd still buy a Toyota before I ever bought anything from Obama Motors. No real sympathy here for those too stupid to put a car in neutral or shut off the engine.

Leaning toward the XSE---they'll hold it for a week---so taking a couple days to decide.

Makoman
02-25-2010, 00:47
Hell I'd still buy a Toyota before I ever bought anything from Obama Motors. No real sympathy here for those too stupid to put a car in neutral or shut off the engine.

Leaning toward the XSE---they'll hold it for a week---so taking a couple days to decide.

No argument from there. I think you'll like the XSE a lot. I've got a blued one that I bought 3 years ago and love it. Quality excellent. I'm very pleased with that purchase and think you will be as well. Are you looking at a blued or stainless?

G19freak
02-25-2010, 00:54
Stainless O1070XSE would be the one that's tugging at me.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q7-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx#

Makoman
02-25-2010, 01:02
Did that just come out? I go to colt's website pretty regular and don't remember seeing a model with a tactical rail before?

HAIL CAESAR
02-25-2010, 01:05
Yes, last year Colt came out with a railed model they call aptly the "Rail Gun".

Makoman
02-25-2010, 01:08
Damn. That's one more I've got to add to my list!

dakrat
02-25-2010, 10:16
biased much Hail? http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=260936. yeah I think the XSE is the best!

HAIL CAESAR
02-25-2010, 11:56
biased much Hail? http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=260936. yeah I think the XSE is the best!

I have owned damn near every "commercial brand" 1911 out there and a few "designers". Worked on 1911's for decades and owned my own shop so I have fondled more than a few of everything. I actually carry 1911's daily at work and as a backup gun.

I am always biased about good equipment I have actually owned, used and worked on,.....so kiss my ass.:rofl:

I was just asking in that thread what would most guys go for a 1991 or XSE, basically for cosmetic reasons. I built a frame up and was going to get a Colt slide to build up myself. All the work to be done by me.

ajgranda
02-25-2010, 12:02
My dealer/fiend recommended in their appropriate price range either the Colt XSE Commander or Les Baer Stinger/CC Commander. Not that I ever listen to him :supergrin: .

automan
02-25-2010, 12:41
Have one on hold at the shop---still debating if I want to drop that amount on a pistol.

Have no real interest in Kimber's or Springfield's.

If I don't get this I will probably bring home a Smith 629 .44 instead.

So what do you think---good or bad on the XSE?

Thanks

What do you want to do with 'em? XSE is basically a SD weapon, comes in Combat Commander or Lightweight versions. 629 is a good choice if you intend to reload.44 mags to softer levels or hunt. Not so good for cc SD. Recoil in .44 is stronger than .45 auto.

NYS Ret.5763
02-26-2010, 12:22
Have two 1911's..............BOTH Colts! A series 70 Gov't and a first year('85?)Officer's Model. My wife says I'd divorce her BEFOREthe Colts would go! I might have to agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:supergrin:

JBJ16
02-26-2010, 13:03

This ^ ^ ^. Fit it right. Even with a not so great barrel, as long as you have the "oversized" spec. for fitting you can build an accurate 1911. Thats how I built mine.

But a 1911 without the slide/frame rattle makes for a good conversation piece too.:supergrin:

Imagine if that new Carbonia blue 1911 Colt reproduction had the slide/frame slickness of a Berretta 92FS. . . .I wouldn't say no to that either.:upeyes:

RonS
02-27-2010, 08:48
The sights are on the slide. If the barrel fits the bushing, and the bushing fits the slide and the rear of the barrel locks up at the rear every time so that the same relationship exists every time the gun cycles you will achieve good accuracy. Slide frame and barrel link fit contribute to how the barrel locks up, but the magic is in the fitting of the barrel and bushing. My Khunhausen books are in the upstairs bathroom, but there is a pie chart that he made to tell you how much accuracy to expect for each modification. Guess what the biggest slice is labeled?

G19freak
02-27-2010, 09:12
Still trying to figure out if I want it or not so went looking again last night.

Other alternatives I found:

NIB Sig 220 stainless slide--night sights---$50 less than the XSE

NIB German Sig 228--base model --$80 less than the XSE--wasn't looking for another 9mm but those German folded slide Sigs are sweet.

NIB S&W M&P .45--no mag safety or any safety for that matter model---$340 less than the XSE---now I get an email today saying they'll give $50 back or 2 free mags---so basically looking at a gun with 4 10-round mags for $340 less----not near as nice as the other choices---but $340 sure will buy a lot of ammo.

So I'm still stuck on what to get.