Testing AR Magizines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Testing AR Magizines

AzGlock27
02-24-2010, 09:22
Hey Guys,
Kind of nubie question here. Other then actually burning up ammo what is the best way to determine if the lips on AR mags are out of tolerance? I have something like 8 30 round Colt stamped AR magazines that I inherited that have been kept loaded for about 4 years and I'm concerned about the lips being out of tolerance. I did a quick search and could not find any links to specs or anything else that looked helpful. I appreciate any advise you guys could give, thanks.

CrazyFeet
02-24-2010, 10:08
not an expert but you could load the mag in the rifle and manually cycle through them... not the best of course. i think you have to field test to be sure.

glock22357
02-24-2010, 11:54
The magazines won't be out of spec in any way from being loaded for 4 years. In fact they're in the same exact condition they were in when they were loaded 4 years ago and set aide. Magazines sitting for years don't have any issues, they do when they are heavily used.

AzGlock27
02-24-2010, 12:01
Thanks, that is great news. I did not really want to buy a bunch of new mags, I would rather spend my money on ammo. :)

Jon_R
02-24-2010, 12:12
not an expert but you could load the mag in the rifle and manually cycle through them... not the best of course. i think you have to field test to be sure.

Be careful with this and a free floating firing pin. If you doing this in your living room you don't want to be the 1 in a million to get a slam fire. Can make wife grumpy. I would do this at a range or use dummy rounds / snap caps.

Probably only an issue if it has soft primers.

faawrenchbndr
02-24-2010, 17:25
Be careful with this and a free floating firing pin. If you doing this in your living room you don't want to be the 1 in a million to get a slam fire. Can make wife grumpy. I would do this at a range or use dummy rounds / snap caps.

Probably only an issue if it has soft primers.

Very fine safety point! A friend had a 223 fired into his attack a few years
ago. The neighbor behind him was showing a friend his new AR and shot through
his wall across the back yards and into the attick of Bob's house. :faint:

snoczp
02-24-2010, 19:01
Shoot with all your mags, and number them as well. That way you know if you have a problem with a particular mag, and can identify and eleminate it before you really need it.

wingsprint
02-27-2010, 05:54
Shoot with all your mags, and number them as well. That way you know if you have a problem with a particular mag, and can identify and eleminate it before you really need it.

:goodpost:

ottomatic
02-27-2010, 13:28
[QUOTE=AzGlock27;14821024]Hey Guys,
I have something like 8 30 round Colt stamped AR magazines that I inherited QUOTE]

If you have actual Colt marked mags, unload them gently and put them up somewhere. Colt marked magazines are too valuable for everyday use! Then go buy some Pmags, load them up, put the caps on them and forget about them until you need them.