Double Tap 230 gr. Hard Cast [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Double Tap 230 gr. Hard Cast

hickok45
02-24-2010, 09:27
Anybody else tried these in your stock Glock 20 barrel? I'd be interested in how they shoot for you.

Thanks,

G33
02-24-2010, 11:37
h45, my hero!
:wavey:

Taterhead
02-24-2010, 23:34
I have not shot DT's 230 gr factory load, but I do handload their 200 grain bullet. I'm slower (1205) fps ave, though. They shoot great in my G20, and they feed and function fine. Leading has not been an issue. I'm cautious though, and I clean the barrel frequently - just to be safe. I went with the 200 grainer because I wonder if there may be some diminishing returns in terms of performance by going all the way to 230 gr.

hickok45
02-25-2010, 14:53
Just wondered. I get some "tumbling" bullets with the 230 grainers out of my stock Glock 20 barrel, but they shoot great through my Lone Wolf aftermarket barrel.

leadslinger13
03-13-2010, 16:49
great video on that round. your are my hero

Taterhead
03-13-2010, 22:40
Just wondered. I get some "tumbling" bullets with the 230 grainers out of my stock Glock 20 barrel, but they shoot great through my Lone Wolf aftermarket barrel.

I watched the 1st half of your video on the DT 230 gr WFNGC Hardcast loads. Surprising results out of the stock barrel! I wonder if that projectile is slipping the rifling and throwing out wobbly ducks.

After your results, I have committed to re-test my 200 gr handload (of a lighter version of the DT WFNGC hardcast) to include some much longer range accuracy tests. I think that the longer range results will make pathologies more obvious. After seeing what you encountered with its heavier brother, I think some more testing is called for - just to be sure. So far, it has been fine. I'll back it up a bit to see what happens.

Thank you very much for all of your videos. They have been some of my favorite on the web!

glockpirate20
03-15-2010, 01:34
Hickok45's video on the 230gr raised my eyebrows as I also have 2 boxes of this round. Did a few simple tests with cardboard targets set up at 15 and 25 yds and got the same results as Hickok, nice big ole keyholes, even at the 15 yarder. I dropped in my 6 inch glock barrel to see what would happen and got some improved results, but not much. With the stock barrel I seemed to have a few more flyers than with the 6". I didn't have as much tumbling at the 15 yarder either w/ the 6", but still had about the same at 25yds. I know that DT has got to be aware of this and I think Hickok even mentioned telling them about it in his video. I wish they would post something in the product info about this and recommend maybe an aftermarket barrel with traditional land and groove rifling. But then again, at close range I don't think it is going to really matter.

Anyone try out the 200's? I would be interested to know before buying.

Nice work Hickok...enjoy all your vids, we always seem to have the same weather as you on the weekends over on the other side of the range in NC. Keep it up. Hope you are enjoying that finely tuned athlete Chris Johnson from good ole ECU! Arrrghh!!

GlockPirate...OUT.

Jdog
03-15-2010, 01:47
the 200gr wfngc is my fav round. I shot it through 4 2x4's (ducktaped together) @15yds w/factory bbl and went through with a nice round circle... no keyhole shapes (pics upon request)

G20gunner
03-15-2010, 02:54
I watched the 1st half of your video on the DT 230 gr WFNGC Hardcast loads. Surprising results out of the stock barrel! I wonder if that projectile is slipping the rifling and throwing out wobbly ducks.

After your results, I have committed to re-test my 200 gr handload (of a lighter version of the DT WFNGC hardcast) to include some much longer range accuracy tests. I think that the longer range results will make pathologies more obvious. After seeing what you encountered with its heavier brother, I think some more testing is called for - just to be sure. So far, it has been fine. I'll back it up a bit to see what happens.

Thank you very much for all of your videos. They have been some of my favorite on the web!

I think it could be lack of rifling grip, and maybe the twist rate isn't fast enough for bullets that long???
I think the 200grainers FMJ, JHP, or lead, are just about right:supergrin:.

G20gunner

Taterhead
03-15-2010, 22:49
(pics upon request)

Yes please!

Taterhead
03-15-2010, 22:50
I think it could be lack of rifling grip, and maybe the twist rate isn't fast enough for bullets that long???
I think the 200grainers FMJ, JHP, or lead, are just about right:supergrin:.

G20gunner

Yep, maybe, and yep!

gator378
03-23-2010, 21:38
Anybody else tried these in your stock Glock 20 barrel? I'd be interested in how they shoot for you.

Thanks,

Work great in my Barstow barrel

CanyonMan
03-24-2010, 16:36
Deleted
CanyonMan

Retired Squid
04-02-2010, 08:03
hickok45,

I know you are asking about DT. I cannot help ya there. BUT, I have been reloading for over 40 years now with cast bullets mostly. I reload the G20 with 200gr Hard Cast from Cast performance bullet co. I use the stock G20 barrel and sometimes the 6" stock Glock barrel, with my loads of Bluedot running @ 1200fps +/-, I have had very good accuracy out to 100yds 'for deer', and in the west Texas canyons, "playing here on the ranch," I shoot at 2/3/400 yds, and all is well.

Just a thought for ya to maybe check into. ;)

Good shooting.
I enjoy your vids hoss.

CanyonManHummm, Bluedot and cast in G20 works!!! I tried BD with 180 gr HC in my S&W 610-3 with 6.5" barrel and had some leading and a very, very dirty gun. I will have to try the few left in my 20SF to see how they do, never thought to try them in the Colt DE or Glocks.

Good thing I saw this before pulling the bullets and going to different powder. I do use BD in my autos, but with jacketed bullets.

DrtyHarry
04-02-2010, 09:25
I got the 200 & the 230 WFNGC hardcast loads just the other day. Was hoping to do some experimenting today, but will have to postpone until next week due to the holiday. I also picked up several other kinds of DT ammo and will post back with my findings. Can't wait. And yes, I have a stock barrel now and am waiting for a KKM.

DH

MinervaDoe
04-02-2010, 09:52
:popcorn:

telecster
04-02-2010, 09:59

First off love your video's even though you have cost me money (G-17, G-23). I to have experienced tumbling with this round as with and with all my heavier 200 grn reloads. This is why I want to get a aftermarket 10mm barrel. I saw on your video that you were having this problem and was relieved that it was not just me.

CanyonMan
04-02-2010, 20:23
Hickok45,

I know your nterest here is DT. But again, using Cast performance 200gr bullets, (loading my own), I have never had the tumbling broblem in the G20 even at 100yd paper, and they have been very accurate on the ranch out to 3-400 yds.

Again, I know ya reload, so just a thought. ;)

CanyonMan

CanyonMan
04-02-2010, 20:25
Hummm, Bluedot and cast in G20 works!!! I tried BD with 180 gr HC in my S&W 610-3 with 6.5" barrel and had some leading and a very, very dirty gun. I will have to try the few left in my 20SF to see how they do, never thought to try them in the Colt DE or Glocks.

Good thing I saw this before pulling the bullets and going to different powder. I do use BD in my autos, but with jacketed bullets.

Yes sir amigo. I use a lot of Blue Dot in the 10mm. No problems. I do use a 20/21 BHN hardness cast bullet though. Not soft lead. ;)

CanyonMan

Retired Squid
04-02-2010, 22:43
Yes sir amigo. I use a lot of Blue Dot in the 10mm. No problems. I do use a 20/21 BHN hardness cast bullet though. Not soft lead. ;)

CanyonManI use the hard stuff also, but I had loaded probably a tad hot, trying to go too far too fast I guess. The Blue Dot I found is a bit slow for revolver and blows more powder and fire out between cylinder and forcing cone then about any powder I have used. Works great in my bottom feeders though, aught to see a night fire with BD and 1006 I had, must have been 3 foot of flame. :wow:

CanyonMan
04-03-2010, 08:23
I use the hard stuff also, but I had loaded probably a tad hot, trying to go too far too fast I guess. The Blue Dot I found is a bit slow for revolver and blows more powder and fire out between cylinder and forcing cone then about any powder I have used. Works great in my bottom feeders though, aught to see a night fire with BD and 1006 I had, must have been 3 foot of flame. :wow:

Yes sir, I run them in the G20 at 1200.1250fps/min 1150fps.
Like you, I do not use BD in my big bore hog legs. I use mostly 2400/Unique/H110 in all my 44mag/44sp/45LC's . The 45acp get Unique mostly.

I have used quite abit of 2400 in the G20, you may want to try a few at least and see how you like it. My best acuracy so far though is with the BD and the 200gr LBT Cast Performance bullet.

Good shooting

CanyonMan

PaleGreenHorse
04-03-2010, 14:05
Never had a problem with Mike's WFNGC hard casts in my OEM G20 barrel.