Removing a blankety-blank flash hider [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Removing a blankety-blank flash hider

Kentak
02-24-2010, 10:07
Okay, I know the answer to this is that I should just eat my Wheaties and break out the big tools, but should a flash hider be this hard to remove?

I got a Phantom FH for my Ruger SR-556. I can't seem to budge the Ruger flash hider. I don't have a proper barrel clamp, but I suppose I could rig something up. I put a six inch flat piece of steel through the slots and smacked it with a hammer, but it's not breaking loose. (Yes, I am applying torque counter-clockwise when looking down the barrel)

Should I apply heat to the flash hider? Does Ruger use threadlock?

How can I securely clamp the barrel without marring it?

MaximaDrvr
02-24-2010, 11:46
Is there not flat areas for a wrench? 19mm should be the ticket. I put my upper in an action block when I did the flash hider on mine.

Constructor
02-24-2010, 12:15
Please use a barrel vise.
If you twist the barrel out of the barrel extension by using a receiver block/clamp you are looking at an expensive trip back to a gun smith for a complete tear down, they will have to retorque the barrel extension and check the headspace.

Some manufactures do use Red loctite on flash hiders, Noveske uses it on everything.

I would get a barrel clamp first then try some heat on the flash, it should take a 3/4" wrench.

22highcaps
02-24-2010, 15:07
I once had to dremel and chisel a stubborn FH off. Note, this was after I let my gunsmith have a wack at it. It would not budge for him either.

lawman800
02-25-2010, 02:09
Mine had a pin welded on the bottom that needed to be dremeled off and then you had to break the thread to get it out. They can be a pain.

Cochese
02-25-2010, 02:25
Mine had a pin welded on the bottom that needed to be dremeled off and then you had to break the thread to get it out. They can be a pain.

Doesn't California have secret police that come to your house and kill you in your sleep for removing a FH?

:rofl:

lawman800
02-25-2010, 03:08
Doesn't California have secret police that come to your house and kill you in your sleep for removing a FH?

:rofl:

Actually, our stupid 1994 ban required the removal of flash hiders but we are allowed to have muzzle brakes because that makes the bullets that come out of the barrel all the more safer.:supergrin:

Yep, since the total ban in 2000, I can see that in 10 years, crime in CA has gone down to zero and now I walk the streets of downtown LA at night in just a tank top and shorts with all my jewelry and thousands in cash because I no longer have to fear the marauding gangs and their 30 round detachable magazine AR-15 rifles.:upeyes:

Sportsfame18
02-25-2010, 06:14
the ruger has a non removable one i believe

Kentak
02-25-2010, 09:19
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yes, they are removable--others have done so. I guess I'm just expecting it to come off more easily than it is.

I'll properly clamp the barrel and use a longer lever arm to get that sucker off. I'll torch it to heat it up a little, too.

I know the Ruger FH works fine. I just like the looks of the Phantom better. How gay is that?

RUSH2112
02-25-2010, 17:04
If there's a crush washer remember to use a new one and chunk the old one.

Edit: nevermind, the new FH comes with a new washer, duh.

stooxie
02-25-2010, 17:49
I went through a similar experience with the castle nut on my LR-308 receiver. DPMS claimed they only used loctite blue, but damn it if I didn't have to take a blow torch and a proper 3-tooth wrench to it before it budged. When done the castle nut was toast, good thing it's a $4 part. Sure enough, the pinkish residue of loctite red was there. :upeyes: (Because we all know that the receiver extension and butt stock might get above 400 degrees)

I recently removed the flash hider from my BCM upper and it came off without too much fuss, but it wasn't easy! I did use a barrel vice.

Personally I find it annoying. If they want heat resistance why can't the use something like Rockset, which is supposed to have the shear strength of LT blue but the heat resistance of LT red.

-Stooxie

Kentak
02-28-2010, 01:17
Good Grief! I finally got it off. I used blocks of wood in a vise and clamped the barrel and gas block firmly. I torched it until good and hot and then put a big ol' wrench on the FH and pulled until my shoulder started to pop. I was sure I got the undocumented "pinned" FH from Ruger when it finally broke free. No threadlock or pins, just really, really tight. I reused the existing washer as my new Phantom is not the "dustless" model. No threadlock, just gave it a good hand torquing with a Crescent on the FH flats.

Looks good. I'm happy.

Anyone want a mangled (and I mean, mangled) Ruger flash hider?