What the hell is going on in the minds of teens these day...? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is going on in the minds of teens these day...?

82ndVet
02-24-2010, 15:44
<!-- article --> Alleged teen suicide pact investigated

by Kristal Dixon
kdixon@cherokeetribune.com
Cherokee County, GA

Charges may be filed in the death of a Teasley Middle School eighth-grader, who allegedly died in a suicide pact.

The Canton Police Department is investigating the death of 13-year-old Savannah Scarlett Cash, who died on Thursday of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Candy Worth, the department's public information officer, said she could not comment on the case as the investigation is ongoing.

The initial incident report released by the department is three sentences long. It includes no information about who was at the scene or who supplied the weapon.

Information circulating in the community alleges Savannah and a schoolmate had planned to kill themselves together, but the other student did not go through with the pact. The other student allegedly supplied the gun that killed Savannah.

A letter was found at the scene, said Brian Cash, Savannah's father, but he declined to speak about it, the alleged suicide pact or whether charges should be filed.

His daughter's death was a shock, Cash said, describing her as a bright teenager and "a happy child."

He added he's fielded "hundreds" of calls from students about his daughter's death.

A memorial service was conducted Monday at Sugarplums restaurant in Canton to remember the teen. No formal funeral has been planned, Cash said. Savannah's remains were cremated.

Upon learning of Savannah's death, Cherokee County School District officials dispatched additional counselors to the Canton middle school when classes resumed on Monday after the weeklong winter break.

Mike McGowan, district director of public information, communications and partnerships, said about 15 students have met with the grief counselors.

Principal Debra Murdock said the entire school was "saddened" by the death of Savannah, who was known as Scarlett to her friends.

"Scarlett was a bright, fun-loving student with a ready smile and a quick wit," Mrs. Murdock wrote in a statement. "She was a friend to everyone. She will be missed terribly by her friends, teachers and administrators."

Cash said his daughter presented no warning signs of suicidal behavior before her death or had no history of mental illness.

"Savannah was an extremely bright, beautiful, happy child," he said, adding she participated in tumbling every Tuesday and planned to try out for Cherokee High School's cheerleading squad.

While suicide among older teenagers is more common, it does occur among children and younger teenagers.

In 2006, the latest figures available from to the National Institutes of Health, the suicide rate was 1.3 per 100,000 for children ages 10 to 14; 8.2 for ages 15 to 19; and 12.5 for ages 20 to 24.

Risk factors of suicide, according to the Centers for Disease Control, include a history of previous attempts, family history of suicides, history of depression or other mental illnesses, alcohol or drug abuse, stressful life event or loss, easy access to lethal methods, incarceration or exposure to suicidal behaviors of others.

Confirmed suicide rates among teens and younger children in Cherokee are very low.

The Cherokee Sheriff's Office has not received any reports of suicides among teens or children in the last two years, said Lt. Jay Baker, public information officer for the agency.

The only confirmed suicide by a young person reported to the department was that of an 18-year-old in 2008.

School district Police Chief Mark Kissel said his agency does not track suicides that take place off campus. He said none have taken place on campus in recent years, and he's unaware of any possible attempts.

Cash said he wants people to remember his daughter for her love of life and sense of humor.

He said he believes her impact on others will continue well beyond her death.

"She could light up the room with a smile," he said. "I want people to remember what Savannah for the joy she brought to everyone."

GreyEclipse
02-26-2010, 02:33
I use to live in GA, I just moved out two months ago.

GA is going downhill fast. Teenagers are a big reason of why I left.
They're utterly retarded and this coming from a twenty year old.
Sad isn't it?

Half the people that I knew in HS tried to commit suicide.

keltec2000
02-28-2010, 14:36
Do not Lump a of us teens together with kids like this. We are not all crazy EMOs or gangbangers.

absoludely
03-10-2010, 14:55
Good riddance, idiots like these need to find the exit before they form a pregnancy pact and further taint the gene pool.

M1a65
03-17-2010, 02:51
Best you can do is be open, talk to your kids and be there for them. God know what junk all the other's are trying to talk them into.

Brucev
05-22-2010, 07:00
Teen suicide is not new. In my HS class of 1,200 seniors, there were 2 suicides. You don't see it so much among children in lower income settings. I have seen it mostly among children in middle-class and upper-class homes.

One instance still stands out. A HS senior in our church told his dad he was going deer hunting with a friend. They walked down through the woods and laid down on the rail road track. When they didn't come home, the dad went looking for them. He found them both dead. They had laid down on the track. Their rifles were leaning against a tree near the track. It was real bad. Both boys were very good students, very involved in community activities and very much loved by their families. The boy from our church who died that day came from a home where his parents were very high achievers both professionally and financially. The family lived on a large property that looked like something out of House and Garden. He was their only son. They buried him under the oak trees out front.

Our society has dramatically changed. Most children and youth have far less family support than was the case even 20 years ago. There is a tremendous sense of loneliness, hopelessness and even despair among teenagers, especially young girls. The number one most important thing you can do to help kids is to be present. Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. As far as the gene pool is concerned, idiots are remarkable for reproducing. The best that one can hope for is that they will be childless. As far as teenagers are concerned, one can hope that with attention and compassion boys and girls will be helped to move through those difficult moments when they think they have no alternatives.

StopObama!
06-10-2010, 10:03
I live in GA... teens these days are.. well.. let me refrain from ranting, lets say very troubled and embarrassing . Im happy to turn 20 today!