Range report on 2 new 1911s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Range report on 2 new 1911s

Ruggles
02-24-2010, 17:08
I posted in early December or so that I was converting all my handguns to the 1911 platform.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164530

Everything is the same as posted with the addition of a Kimber SIS Ultra in layaway I pick up on March 20th and a Ed Brown Molon Labe I have on order.

So I finally got the time to head to the range to test out the 2 new 1911s I picked up spoken about in the post above. A Kimber TLE II and a Puma 1911-22LR.

(For those who do not know the Puma 1911-22 is a full size 1911 that fires the .22LR from a 10 round magazines. It retails for around $250-$270)

With the Puma I was able to put 140 rds downrange. CCI Mini Mags and some Winchester JHP. The 1st 90 rounds were flawless, the next 60 were full of rounds not firing on the first hammer fall. A quick resetting of the hammer by hand and every round fired on the second fall. Not sure if it was ammo or gun related. The rounds that did not fire the first time did have nice firing pin hits on them it seemed. Only more time and different ammo will tell the tale for sure.

The reliability of the gun was perfect. The feel of it was almost exactly like that of the 5" Kimber I was shooting at the same time. Of course recoil was non existent and it was a little strange going from 1 mag thru the Kimber then 1 mag thru the Puma. Both felt the same in the hand but the recoil was worlds apart. Accuracy was fine, the included documentation from the Puma states that the user is to file the front site to desired height. I did not do this today, but the groups were pretty good. The trigger reset is a bit different than a normal 1911 but still is very close to it's roots.

The overall fit and finish of the gun were what you would expect from a $250 1911. Not great but not bad if you keep in mind the use of the gun. It is a range plinker plain and simple but it would be a great gun to introduce a new shooter to handguns. It IMO is not a type of gun you would try to use in any type of formal training as a low ammo cost replacement for a true 1911, I would think a .22LR conversion kit on a true 1911 frame would be a better choice. The Puma is fun to shoot on the range and that is why I purchased it. Overall I am happy with the purchase and would recommend it. I mean it's a full size 1911 dedicated to shooting the .22LR :supergrin:

I made some changes to the Kimber TLE before shooting it. A Ed Brown Chainlink MSH, Ed Brown GI guide rod sand plug, solid short trigger and Magwear grips and magwell set up.

The Kimber TLE II was a jewel. In the past I have not been very kind to Kimber overall on these forums but this one is a keeper. I have owned 1 horrid Kimber (UCII with the EE), 1 decent Kimber (Warrior) and one great one (Raptor UC with the IE) in the past. I have mixed feelings about how the TLE II would perform on the range. The 500 rd break in period was what I was expecting with many FTE and FTFs during this time.

I fired 250 factory rounds (200 FMJ and 50 JHP, all 230GR) downrange thru a mix of Kimber, Kimber Pro Tac and Wilson mags (7 & 8 rd) with zero issues. Accuracy was great, I have never questioned the accuracy of any Kimber. The Magwear grips and magwell is an excellent set up for anyone looking to add a magwell to their 1911, I went with the carry version. This is the first Kimber I have owned that has had zero issues in the first 250 rounds fired. :)

I am very happy with the Kimber TLE. I still read too many issues with Kimbers and have questions about their customer service and QC but this one is a keeper. I will not hesitate to buy Kimber products in the future.
I hope the Kimber SIS Ultra I am picking up next month works out as well for me.

Yeah yeah I know pictures.

http://img2.pict.com/29/38/8b/2948880/0/300/1911.jpg (http://img2.pict.com/29/38/8b/2948880/0/800/1911.jpg)

Yeah it a horrible iPhone picture, gotta get a camera someday! :)

And to top things off I got my $50 rebate from Eotech in the mail today...good gun day indeed!

Brucev
02-24-2010, 17:28
Thank you for the range report. I am currently trying to find a Accurate Arms .22 LR top unit for my G-22. If one does not turn up soon, I'm going to just give up and buy a Marvel for my SA Mil-Spec. However, this Puma looks like it might have possibilities.

samuse
02-24-2010, 19:54
Day-um!!! I just read your original thread! You traded in some GOOD handguns for a Kimber and a .22? I hope you still have the Hi-Power. IMO, you should keep the Brown and the Lawman and sell the rest of the "1911's" to purchase ammo. :wavey:

armslist
02-24-2010, 20:07
The new Ed Brown Molon Labe looks awesome, congrats, post pics and range report after you get that one!

Ruggles
02-24-2010, 21:12
The new Ed Brown Molon Labe looks awesome, congrats, post pics and range report after you get that one!

Will do, I already have 500 rounds on order to ring the new 1911 out when I get it. Thanks. :wavey:

Ruggles
02-24-2010, 21:16
"Thank you for the range report. I am currently trying to find a Accurate Arms .22 LR top unit for my G-22. If one does not turn up soon, I'm going to just give up and buy a Marvel for my SA Mil-Spec. However, this Puma looks like it might have possibilities."

Thanks, with ammo prices the .22LR is a heck of a deal these days!

"Day-um!!! I just read your original thread! You traded in some GOOD handguns for a Kimber and a .22? I hope you still have the Hi-Power. IMO, you should keep the Brown and the Lawman and sell the rest of the "1911's" to purchase ammo. "

The Lawman is the "smoothest" 1911 of the bunch, I think a 9mm STI Trojan is going to find it's way to me this year as well. Ammo prices these days are driving me towards a 9mm 1911 quickly. The HP is still in the safe, I sold one back in the mid 1990s and can not bring myself to make that mistake again. It will be my exception to the 1911 only rule. :)

bac1023
02-24-2010, 21:24
Very nice Ruggles. :)

glock2740
02-24-2010, 22:21
Congrats! Sounds like you got a winner Kimber this time.

Bones507
02-25-2010, 06:01
They both look good, congrats. My Govt model i picked up a few weeks ago probably shoots better than anything i currently own at the moment. At the range today i was at 15 yards and i put like 17 out of 18 in a 3 inch square, for me thats phenomonal. I then took it out to 35 yards and was shooting at a steel target and was hitting 6 out of 8. I was truly shocked, but i was bearing down and not rushing myself as i often do.