LMT or Colt [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LMT or Colt

Waffen Monk
02-24-2010, 18:06
I am in the market for an ar15 that I will be using for pleasure shooting, and shtf situations like the zombie invasion that will be happening in the near future. I had owned a M&P15 that was sold to a friend. I liked it, but desired a better ar than that once I learned more about them. I have stumbled upon a LMT Defender Standard Patrol Model 16 new for $1100 OTD and have also found a new Colt 6940 for $1400 OTD. So my question is which one would you guy's choose and why. I am leaning towards the LMT, but have always wanted a colt(really wanted a 6920 for some time). Should I be looking at the 6920 instead of the 6940? Is LMT the way to go?...will be mounting an acog, adding troy rails, and a surefire light eventually...

Thanks for your help, Greig

faawrenchbndr
02-24-2010, 18:10
If I were in the market for another, I would buy a 16" mid length BCM.
But given your choices,.....LMT

TimP
02-24-2010, 18:23
if it was me I would pick

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-MID-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid%2016%20ddox9.htm

+

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Lower-Receiver-Groups-M4-AR15-s/117.htm

for 1200, and have a much better rifle than the LMT or Colt IMO

RMTactical
02-24-2010, 18:24
I prefer BCM, but get what makes you feel good inside. You won't be happy unless you do.

reaper8154
02-24-2010, 18:24
I like Colt, but either will do. If you add a Troy rail to the lmt you will be right around the price of the 6940. If you want a 6920, then find one of those and add the accesories you want.

Jer
02-25-2010, 00:15
Lmt ftw!

Dalton Wayne
02-25-2010, 00:17
Colt ftw

pmj
02-25-2010, 01:09
I have a Colt and a LMT - both are good. But I prefer the LMT -

Waffen Monk
02-25-2010, 06:23
I have a Colt and a LMT - both are good. But I prefer the LMT -

pmj, why do you prefer the LMT?

Big Mad Dawg
02-25-2010, 07:00
LMT and Colt are really pretty close to the same I have owned and used both and things like front sight mounted before or after parking never affected the performance. But like stated between the two pick the roll mark you like. If you want to impress ARFCOM get a pony if you want to save a couple hundred buy a LMT.

K. Foster
02-25-2010, 07:20
I have both and for all practical purposes the LMT is just a cheaper Colt. If you want the mono rail, get the Colt.

blhar15
02-25-2010, 07:29
I have had both LMT and Colt and the only one left is the Colt LE6920 with a daniel defense omega rail. I had a LE6940 but did not like the idea that I needed a special tool to do a barrel change, a tool that is not available yet.

kabob983
02-25-2010, 07:36
If you drink the kool-aid get the Colt.

LMT will lack:
-Full Auto BCG
-Park under the FSB
-Tapered FSB pins
-H Buffer

In the end though unless your a rambo commmando you'll probably never notice the difference...and the LMT will undoubetly look prettier.

If you're willing to throw another model into the mix I too would look at BCM though. I've got 3 Colt 6920s, my buddy has an LMT Defender 2000, and I've got a BCM middy. LMT is the prettiest, Colt is the iron sights fun gun, BCM is my rifle of choice (Middy FTW!). The one place that LMT takes the cake...their stock buttstock is the most solid locking standard buttstock I've ever seen. It doesn't wiggle an millimeter.

Nutt51
02-25-2010, 12:37
I love my BCM 16'' middy also, but if you have decided
on a Colt or LMT, I'd go Colt.

www.budsgunshop.com has the LE6920 right now
for $1249.00 and that includes shipping charge.

furioso2112
02-25-2010, 14:29
I don't have a Colt or a LMT, but I do have a BCM middy...and I like it - I like it a lot. Good price, fit and finish, CS, options.

kabob983
02-25-2010, 14:56
I love my BCM 16'' middy also, but if you have decided
on a Colt or LMT, I'd go Colt.

www.budsgunshop.com has the LE6920 right now
for $1249.00 and that includes shipping charge.

CDNN has 'em for $1199. In today's new brochure.

KalashniKEV
02-25-2010, 15:09
Noveske for the ultimate win.

If you're lucky you can still get a free N4 lower and finish it out w/ a kit from Palmetto State Armory for $150.

You know you're gonna put Troy BUIS and a Vortex on it anyway.

Waffen Monk
02-25-2010, 19:19
Noveske for the ultimate win.

If you're lucky you can still get a free N4 lower and finish it out w/ a kit from Palmetto State Armory for $150.

You know you're gonna put Troy BUIS and a Vortex on it anyway.

Interesting:drool: I had never really thought about building before, but I would love to own a Noveske. Should this really be considered:dunno: they have basic uppers for like $825 w/free N4 lower on their website! I would like to know more about the company, so please school me.

Also lots of people talking about BMC, whats their story?

And how about LMT?

Thanks for all the replies fellas

bug
02-25-2010, 19:30
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1175295
good info in this thread

Interesting:drool: I had never really thought about building before, but I would love to own a Noveske. Should this really be considered:dunno: they have basic uppers for like $825 w/free N4 lower on their website! I would like to know more about the company, so please school me.

And how about LMT?

crazypilot
02-25-2010, 21:04
I have an LMT and a Colt and both are great. However, the SBR I'm going to build will have a BCM upper.

thisaway
02-25-2010, 21:45
I am guessing that if you add a rail to an LMT, you would probably have spent about the same amount of $$$ as if you had bought the 6940, so there is no particular advantage to either one. The Colt might have greater resale value in the future though.

Kegel
02-25-2010, 21:59
Colt's are junk. Get the LMT.....and don't shoot it in the house.

AK_Stick
02-25-2010, 22:09
Colt's are junk. Get the LMT.....and don't shoot it in the house.

The more you post, the more I hope for carpal tunnel.

HAIL CAESAR
02-25-2010, 22:55
The more you post, the more I hope for carpal tunnel.

:rofl:

:wavey:

ArmoryDoc
02-25-2010, 23:01
I'll join the fray. Colt and BCM are tops in my book. Since you didn't ask about BCM, I would have to say Colt. LMT is a good runner-up but BCM has got 'em beat with their mil-spec gas key. LMT gas key is MIM, if you care.

I've got a Colt 6920 and a BCM M4. Neither will ever be parted with, 'cept when I hit the grave. You can have the LMT.

Constructor
02-25-2010, 23:49
Lmt used a few mim parts last year when everyone was out of parts.
Everything is back to normal now.
If the ar15 carrier is full ramp it is just as good as a m16 carrier unless you
Plan to build an illegal machinegun.
Colt or lmt are fine, colts koolaid is stronger, and lmt doesn't pay cheerleaders
Pick the features you like.

ArmoryDoc
02-25-2010, 23:51
I like Cheerleaders. ;)

ronin.45
02-26-2010, 01:39
The Colt doesn't offer anything for the extra mony. The LMT is my choice.

kabob983
02-26-2010, 11:45

And how about LMT?

Noveske is like the Rolls Royce of AR-15's. They are extremely well made, very accurate but they don't sacrifice ruggedness for that accuracy. It's an absolute top tier gun. If I could "convince" my wife to let me get another AR I'd jump on that deal and get a 14.5" Reece upper if I could (VIS for the ultimate win).

BCM aka Bravo Company Manufacturing is a newer company. They do not build any of the components, rather they buy pre-made high quality components and assemble/QC them. They are definitely the new hot mfr in town and their reputation for quality/customer service is unparalleled. They use all the same stringent Mil-Spec requirements that Colt uses save for one...they use a Mid-Length gas system on alot of their rifles which is in alot of ways superior to a Carbine gas system. Both function equally reliably.

LMT is another very good company but they don't use all the same Mil-Spec requirements (since they aren't a military supplier) that Colt uses. Will you ever know the difference when shooting? Probably not. I'd happily own an LMT.

I've got a Colt 6920 and a BCM M4. Neither will ever be parted with, 'cept when I hit the grave. You can have the LMT.

Amazingly I'm contemplating selling my beloved BCM upper...to finance a BCM 14.5" middy when they are released. I highly doubt my wife will met me buy another right now and I've got 3 16" Carbine Colts...I kinda wanna fiddle around with the 14.5" (since SBR isn't an option in my state).

PillBox
02-26-2010, 20:55
I have a Colt LE 6920 that has about 750 rounds of crummy Russian garbage ammo through it without a burp. I really like the LMT, though, and would have gotten one if the wait wasn't six months when I was in the market for an AR.

Top Gun Supply has them for $1150 plus $25 shipping. They are a great company that gets your product to you ASAP. I love doing business with them.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/long-guns-colt-rifles/

I think they're mostly equal, but then there's ALWAYS the Colt allure, and that has value.

PillBox

Glockernaut
02-26-2010, 21:06
Just bought an LMT from a glocktalk member. The rifle is a complete LMT M4 patrol upper(entry model) on a LMT receiver with a doublestar LPK. The rifle was built by Coastal gun. The lower is marked coastal guns but is made by LMT. To make a long story short the base rifle cost me $750 w/o rear BUIS and M4 handguards. I have put on an ergo grip, DD omega quad rail, and Troy rear BUIS on it and have $1100 in it so far. Saw their booth at a gunshow in Macon, GA and complete LMT uppers w/o rear buis were $425. The uppers are not listed on the coastal guns website coastalgun.com but you could call them to see about shipping. This the best kept secret I have found in buying high quality affordable AR's. For my first carbine I was looking at mid-tier guns like RRA, SW, stag and even arsenal AK's for around $750 until I saw this deal. With Coastal and BCM there is no reason to spend $700-900 on a bushy, stag, SW or RRA. Just my $0.02.:wavey:

Apprentice
02-26-2010, 21:45
If I were in the market for another, I would buy a 16" mid length BCM.
But given your choices,.....LMT

I've got the LMT Defender, N4 carbine and N4 Recce and no complaints with any but the BCM middie seems like the best for the price today. My shootin' buddy has owned a dozen different guns and puts gobs through his BCM Middie and knows more about ARs than anyone I know and is committed to them.

thisaway
02-26-2010, 22:44
Amazingly I'm contemplating selling my beloved BCM upper...

When you're ready, keep me in mind! :winkie:

faawrenchbndr
02-27-2010, 07:33
I've got the LMT Defender, N4 carbine and N4 Recce and no complaints with any but the BCM middie seems like the best for the price today. My shootin' buddy has owned a dozen different guns and puts gobs through his BCM Middie and knows more about ARs than anyone I know and is committed to them.

Post was based upon cost vs quality. I have a Colt Sporter ban-era lower with a M4 Colt 6920 upper.
Think Colt USGI M4,......love it!

Waffen Monk
02-27-2010, 10:33
I have a Colt LE 6920 that has about 750 rounds of crummy Russian garbage ammo through it without a burp. I really like the LMT, though, and would have gotten one if the wait wasn't six months when I was in the market for an AR.

Top Gun Supply has them for $1150 plus $25 shipping. They are a great company that gets your product to you ASAP. I love doing business with them.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/long-guns-colt-rifles/

I think they're mostly equal, but then there's ALWAYS the Colt allure, and that has value.

PillBox

Top Gun Supply is top notch! I have ordered from them in the past, got a sig p228 Zurich police trade in and a g19 OD and everyone I have ever dealt w/over their all seemed like real good people. I have seen that on their website, that seems like a real good price on a new 6920. That maybe my fall back option.

Yesterday the person who I had talked to about the 6940 for $1400 OTD informed me that it was already sold :steamed: I feel like I maybe should have jumped on that.

I have also found a lightly used Noveske N4 Light Low-Profile that looks nice. What what is a fair price for that $1400 or maybe $1500:dunno: The LMT for $1100 OTD is also still an option. What do you think?

Thanks again guys

vettely
02-27-2010, 15:55
I am currently using a LMT upper on my RRA lower. I like it.

KalashniKEV
02-27-2010, 19:15
I have also found a lightly used Noveske N4 Light Low-Profile that looks nice. What what is a fair price for that $1400 or maybe $1500:dunno: The LMT for $1100 OTD is also still an option. What do you think?

You can get a N4 Light Recce Upper from Ranier for $1375 w/ free lower and finish it out with a $150 Palmetto State Kit.

That's what I did last Thursday and just came back from my first run. It was AMAZING.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/IMG_0039.jpg

The Noveske is in a class by itself, and head and shoulders above LMT IMO...

Constructor
02-27-2010, 19:30
As it states below, they started as a gov contractor and then expanded to commercial sales.

Company Profile
Lewis Machine & Tool Company (LMT) was founded in 1980 to provide the US military,
law enforcement and government agencies with high quality weapons, components, and
modular weapon systems. Since the beginning, the LMT mission has been to meet their
customerís expectations of quality, price and delivery of precision machined parts,
weapon systems, assemblies and engineering services. In their twenty-five years of
doing business in Milan, Illinois, LMT has always been environmentally responsible, as
well as working to become an asset of their community while providing their employees
with a rewarding and challenging work place.
LMT continues to serve the US military, law enforcement and government agencies, and
has expanded to include foreign military services as well as commercial retailers. LMTís
engineers design and fabricate complete weapon systems, grenade launchers, and
Monolithic Rail Platform (MRP) systems specifically for the demanding environments that
the military and law enforcement face on a day-to-day basis whether in urban
environments or in desert combat situations. LMT produces a full line of accessories and
components for the commercial market complementing any M16 or AR15 type weapon.
In response to the growing demand for quick-change barrel systems, Karl Lewis,
President of LMT, designed the Monolithic Rail Platform. The MRP is a one-piece
lightweight upper receiver with an integral forend. Mil-Std 1913 rails run from front to the
forend on each of the four sides. The MRP comes in two different lengths, one
traditional rifle and the other for Close Quarter Battle (CQB). With four rails, the MRP
offers plenty of places for accessories such as optics and lights.
Lewis Machine & Tool Company recently qualified as a 2005 GSA supplier. As a US
Government Services Administration (GSA) qualified vendor, LMT products are available
to over 300,000 Federal users worldwide.
Lewis Machine & Tool Company has also been recognized on several levels for their
adherence to quality engineering and excellence in business. LMT is the recipient of the
Illinois Quad City Small Business Government Procurement Award for Excellence in
State and Federal Government Procurement. Other awards include the United States
Army Armament, Munitions and Chemical Command Award for Contractor Excellence of
Loyal Support and Contributions to the Readiness of the US Armed Forces for the period
of October 1, 1991 through September 30, 1992 and the US Army Material Command
for Outstanding Achievement in Value Engineering in 1994 and the Committee of Small
Arms Producers (CSAP) for the period of April 1997 through February 2001.

sugarcreek
02-27-2010, 19:47
...dealer price for LMT piston defender 2000 is like 1450 bucks...

Got a friend?

KalashniKEV
02-27-2010, 20:09
As it states below, they started as a gov contractor and then expanded to commercial sales.

And Noveske is owned by Chuck Norris. And Trijicon is owned by Jesus.

Alaskapopo
02-27-2010, 21:09
LMT and Colt are really pretty close to the same I have owned and used both and things like front sight mounted before or after parking never affected the performance. But like stated between the two pick the roll mark you like. If you want to impress ARFCOM get a pony if you want to save a couple hundred buy a LMT.

Both Colt and LMT are top notch but I would go with Bravo Company.
Pat

Big Mad Dawg
02-28-2010, 05:44
Both Colt and LMT are top notch but I would go with Bravo Company.
Pat

I personally have not owned a BCM but am sure they are top quality. I have for a long time put my personal rifles together as a hobby part of the fun is the assembly of parts of my choice. Sadly I am too cheap to buy a Noveske even though they are just down the road from home.

jbremount
02-28-2010, 07:16
Of the two mention ......Colt. This is a good time to buy Colts rifles. In the past, they were selling as high as $1800-$2000 in my neck of the woods. They are selling at bargin prices now. Colt will be a better investment than either BCM nor LMT for sure in the future. Of course this is my opinion. Anyway, Colts historly have always increase in value with time and are a collector's items. Check out Gunbroker or a online sales and see what prices one's gun collection can bring.

Waffen Monk
02-28-2010, 12:20
Of the two mention ......Colt. This is a good time to buy Colts rifles. In the past, they were selling as high as $1800-$2000 in my neck of the woods. They are selling at bargin prices now. Colt will be a better investment than either BCM nor LMT for sure in the future. Of course this is my opinion. Anyway, Colts historly have always increase in value with time and are a collector's items. Check out Gunbroker or a online sales and see what prices one's gun collection can bring.

That's a great point :wavey:

pennlineman
02-28-2010, 12:57
For my top AR I chose this.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt250/pennlineman/DSCF1229.jpg

I also agree with those suggesting BCM. But I do think the Colt will hold its value better.

84S
02-28-2010, 13:06
I have a LMT that I like quite a bit, but if it had been a Colt 6920 that a range member had sold to me, I am sure I would like it as well. I just bought what was in front of me when I was looking for an AR carbine. I knew I wanted either a Colt, LMT, or a BCM model at the time

Constructor
02-28-2010, 18:02
Do you think Noveske is owned by Chuck Norris?:rofl:

THELimey
02-28-2010, 19:17
LMT, BCM or Colt are more gun than most people will ever need. Buy the LMT and use the excess cash for Ammo and training.

KalashniKEV
02-28-2010, 22:07
Do you think Noveske is owned by Chuck Norris?:rofl:

Do you think Trijicon is owned by Jesus?

kabob983
03-01-2010, 09:23

And here I was thinking that Judas hung himself, didn't realize that he received a double tap from the Messiah.

Constructor
03-01-2010, 20:36

Absolutely, the light has to come from somewhere.

Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $4.8 Million Contract (http://74.125.155.132/doc/1P3-1146350491.html)
Oct 17, 2006 ... ROCK ISLAND, Ill., Oct. 17 -- The U.S. Army has awarded a contract valued at up to $4.8 million to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for weapons.The contract was awarded by the U.S. Army Tank-Automotive & Armaments Command, Rock Island, Ill. For more ...
<DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl03_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo>[/URL] <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $46,500 Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1367491371.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Oct 18, 2007; 302 Words ...Army has awarded a $46,500 contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for guns through 30mm. The contract was awarded by the U.S. Army...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl04_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $33,300 Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1280470621.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Jun 1, 2007; 302 Words ...Army has awarded a $33,300 contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for guns through 30mm. The contract was awarded by the U.S. Army...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl05_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $358,500 Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1504726011.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Jul 3, 2008; 302 Words ...Army has awarded a $358,500 contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for guns through 30mm. The contract was awarded by the U.S. Army...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl06_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $352,440 Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1391043941.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Nov 30, 2007; 294 Words ...Navy has awarded a $352,440 contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for grenade launchers. The contract was awarded by the Naval Inventory...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl07_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $48,950 Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1416347931.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Jan 21, 2008; 293 Words ...Navy has awarded a $48,950 contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for grenade launchers. The contract was awarded by the Naval Inventory...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl08_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $1.15 Million Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1384930211.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Nov 19, 2007; 295 Words ...has awarded a $1.15 million contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for grenade launchers. The contract was awarded by the Naval Inventory...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl09_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $301,368 Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1329626321.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Sep 3, 2007; 303 Words ...Army has awarded a $301,368 contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for guns through 30mm. The contract was awarded by the U.S. Army...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl10_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $30,000 Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1459536561.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Apr 10, 2008; 303 Words ...Army has awarded a $30,000 contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for guns through 30mm. The contract was awarded by the U.S. Army...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl11_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $1 Million Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1153830481.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Oct 31, 2006; 304 Words ...Army has awarded a $1 million contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for guns from 30mm to 75mm. The contract was awarded by the U.S. Army...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl12_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $3 Million Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1205059301.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Jan 30, 2007; 298 Words ...S. Army has awarded a contract valued at up to $3 million to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for weapons. The contract was awarded by the U...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl13_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $340,870 Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1367575981.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Oct 18, 2007; 294 Words ...Navy has awarded a $340,870 contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for grenade launchers. The contract was awarded by the Naval Inventory...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl14_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $309,600 Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1214448631.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Feb 12, 2007; 302 Words ...Army has awarded a $309,600 contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for pipes and tubes. The contract was awarded by the U.S. Army...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl15_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $57,600 Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1222640931.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Feb 26, 2007; 302 Words ...Army has awarded a $57,600 contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for guns from 30mm to 75mm. The contract was awarded by the U.S. Army...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl16_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $296,235 Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1337466451.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Sep 18, 2007; 303 Words ...Army has awarded a $296,235 contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for guns from 30mm to 75mm. The contract was awarded by the U.S. Army...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl17_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $1.2 Million Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1367491351.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Oct 18, 2007; 304 Words ...has awarded a $1.2 million contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for guns through 30mm. The contract was awarded by the U.S. Army...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl18_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $283,500 Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1127737141.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Sep 15, 2006; 304 Words ...Army has awarded a $283,500 contract to Lewis Machine & Tool Co., Milan, Ill., for guns from 30mm to 75mm. The contract was awarded by the U.S. Army...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact: Myron... </DD></DL><DL class="clearit logos-on results" id=ctl00_ph_SearchResults1_rptResults_ctl19_dlResults style="DISPLAY: block"><DT class=publogo> <DT class=title>[URL="http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1214946071.html"]Lewis Machine & Tool Wins $2.1 Million Contract (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1214946071.html) <DD class=description>US Fed News Service, Including US State News; Feb 13, 2007; 298 Words ...S. Army has awarded a contract valued at up to $2.1 million to Lewis Machine & Tool Corp., Milan, Ill., for weapons. The contract was awarded by the U...information about US Fed News contract awards please contact... </DD></DL>

phxfa
03-01-2010, 20:50
And your just 'owned' right? :rofl:

kabob983
03-02-2010, 07:54
I know that LMT has gov't contracts but I thought it was for M203's and such, not necessarily rifles. Mayhaps I am wrong.

KalashniKEV
03-02-2010, 08:30
And your just 'owned' right? :rofl:

Why this, brother?

Constructor
03-02-2010, 13:12
The OPs question was Colt or LMT?
IMO both make fine rifles, both has issues from time to time and some rifles need to be dialed in to work for the purchaser with the loads and accessories he plans to use because you never know when the consumer will use light varmint loads or heavy target loads.
Some companies build mainly for Gov contracts, some companies build mainly for commercial sales, some have strict specs that must be met and some have none, some use properly machined and heat treated parts like disconnectors and some use stamped parts that aren't quite hard enough. Most consumers don't have access to several different brands to compare so they read what others say but, some of those talking don't shoot enough to know that cheap disconnector, hammer etc. will wear out faster and fail. There is a good reason groups that train hard use certain brands.
Read post about Pat Rs carbine courses, that will give you a good idea of what brands will last and which will not.

Pat_Rogers

Team Member

http://www.ar15.com/images/countryFlags3/USA.gif , USA

http://www.ar15.com/images/2008skins/shared/postInfoBullet.gif Posts: 697

http://www.ar15.com/images/2008skins/icons/iconBlog.png User Blog (http://www.ar15.com/media/blog.html?bu=23995)

http://www.ar15.com/images/2008skins/icons/iconMedia.png Media Collections (http://www.ar15.com/media/memberAlbums.html?user=23995)

http://www.ar15.com/images/2008skins/icons/iconEEOff.png * - Feedback Soon!

<!-- Reply Box -->Posted: 1/27/2008 5:23:37 PM MST

I used to try to keep records, but it was difficult and time consuming for students (and us) to get it all down on paper.
Also, so many mix and match parts that the genesis of any gun is difficult to ascertain.

Appx 70% are Colt with some FN's.
BM
LMT
The rest are a bunch of Noveske, LWRC, Defensive Edge, S&W and others that are mainly single digit articles.

Most guns run well if not past the end of their service life.
The hobby guns will have more problems with extractors, bolts, springs, and small parts breakage.

I don't spend a lot of time looking at guns at class, other then to make sure the students are using them correctly>
I don't care what they bring as long as it is serviceable. Some aren't.

My company uses
Colt
LMT
Noveske
S&W (3 T&E)
Defensive Edge
Laure uppers

phxfa
03-02-2010, 16:30
Why this, brother?
Just havin a little fun,,,:wavey: The Crown got to me last night,,,:whistling:

kabob983
03-02-2010, 16:49
Yeah, I still have this saved from the "What parts break in a carbine course" tread on Arfcom (which I now cannot find). This is when someone asked Pat "What manufacturers do you recommend?"

Pat
Colt, LMT, Noveske, Sully, new S&W; also any of those lowers with Larue Uppers or BCM uppers.

Makes sense seeing how he does TONS of field testing for BCM, although I've never actually seen anyone using a Sully rifle (not that I've been to one of his classes but MAN I would love to do so!).