question guys.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : question guys..

theTactician
02-25-2010, 01:51
im moving from california to illinois and im goin to bring my guns. do i need to register my gun to the municipality where i am going to reside at? i already have a foid card.

05FLHT
02-25-2010, 09:05
im moving from california to illinois and im goin to bring my guns. do i need to register my gun to the municipality where i am going to reside at? i already have a foid card.

Where are you moving to? You might have a problem in Chicago, Oak Park or Aurora (off the top of my head).

You can check the ISP website here -

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm

Although, it may not be accurate or up to date. Your best bet is to double check with the municipality you plan on moving to? If by chance you are moving to Chicago, you may want to check out NW Indiana.

JWS755
02-26-2010, 15:37
Once you know your address, you can apply for your FOID with the Illinois State Police. Its no big deal, but they get all worked up if you dont have that card. I believe theres a limit to how long they give you to get it, but its required in the state to buy guns or ammo, or possess either.

Most every city has abandoned the strict requirements, but chicago is impossible to bring in any handguns unless youre a LEO. Aurora has some limits I think, but other than the Cook County Assault (ahem) ban, you should be fine. Let us know the city and we can help you more.

MakeMineA10mm
02-26-2010, 21:06
They recently changed the FOID statute and now they use your Driver's License (or ID card) photo for your FOID photo. SO, since you have to get an IL Driver's License when you move to this state, I'd suggest applying for the FOID after you get the DL. There is a law that you have to get your DL (and license plates) within a few weeks of moving (I think 6, but maybe isp could chime in here with the exact time-frame).

volsbear
02-28-2010, 14:46
Read the OP's post, guys. He already has a FOID. Sounds like he'll have to get on ISP's website and change the address on it, though. I assume the OP lived her previously.

OP - the state does not require firearms registration. It would be helpful (to answer your question) if you told us which municipality? You should be fine as long as you stay out of Chicago.